Epic Races
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 41s
Overall Rank = 123/238
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/19
Pre-race routine:

Got to the park around 5:30 and was glad I brought a flashlight. Hit packet pickup and went back to the truck to get my stuff and hit the shuttle bus. Found Maureen at packet pickup on the way to the bus and hung with her. Found Mike at the swim start. Pretty much just chatted and noticed there was some serious looking swimmers and to many Speedos.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. I never have done an OWS only event and figured I'd have plenty of time to warm up on the go.
Swim
  • 1h 32m 41s
  • 5000 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started the swim towards the back and left. Water was comfortable with just jammers on and visibility was okay where it wasn't stirred up by passing swimmers. Just kept a nice pace with mainly bi lateral breathing through out. It was truly impressive to see some of the younger swimmers pass me as I was in the first wave. I even had a lady pass me while doing the backstroke. Made it to the last aid station which was at the 2.4 mile mark in 1:10.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much, I hadn't done more then a couple of 4000 meter swims all summer and haven't been up to 5k since winter. With the easier training I did throughout the year I was happy with how things went.
Post race
Warm down:

Became chilled rather quick after getting out as it was overcast when we finished with a slight breeze. Grabbed some water and tasty bread and headed up to bag pick up to gather my stuff I had left at the start. Changed into the bike shorts and met up with Mike for a 2.5 hour ride. Chatted with Maureen and her family for a few too.

Event comments:

Nice race for a first year event. Seemed like it went off without to many issues. Start was delayed by a few minutes due to the buses taking a bit longer to get everyone over from Half Moon. I think they had quite a few folks sign up in the last week or two and they handled it well.

Remember the flashlight and bug spray. I was real glad to have brought both.

Last updated: 2010-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:41 | 5000 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 19/238
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammers
Course: Swim through a chain of 5 lakes starting at Patterson and ending at Half Moon.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Swim to the Moon 5K OWS

2010-09-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3094976

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Swim to the Moon 5K OWS
haha good tip on making sure to have bug spray, I forgot about that!  Mosquitoes were bugging the crap out of me before the race start.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Swim to the Moon 5K OWS Rss Feed