Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/47
Pre-race routine:

got up and had a bagel with pb. ate a banana while I stretched watching tv. packed up the car and left for the race with Christine, Ross and Mike.
Event warmup:

was hoping to get a quick run in before the start but did not have time. Chip pick up was the morning of the race- packet pick up was the day before. set up transition area and hearded to the swim start, ~10min walk. had a GU with water before heading into the wate
Swim
  • 46m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

rank 222 of 382 men.
this was the worst swim for me in years. First and foremost, my navigation was horrible. This was the biggest problem. The rest of the issues made things worse. One of my main problems was a lack bouyes. On the way out the first bouy was about 400m out. When I looked up, I saw a bouy to ahead on my left, problem was that was a bouy on the back of the rectangle. I ended up having to swim against the current to get back on course. I was not the only one with this problem as there were many of us swimming back. On the back stretch, I also struggled to see bouyes. On the way back, there was again a lack of bouyes. People were swimming all over the place. As I exited the water, I saw Christine and she could easily tell I was both dissappointed and pissed. Coming out of the water, I knew my chances of breaking 5 hrs were in serious jeopardy, unless I had an incredible bike.

What would you do differently?:

sight better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

was 84th of 382 males; 12th in AG. fastest time was 2:10
t1 was about a 1/4mi run from the swim exit to t1.
still pissed about the swim....

not much this went well
Bike
  • 2h 41m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.85 mile/hr
Comments:

nutrition:
-about 48oz of water
-1 water bottle with 3 scoops carbo pro; 3 scoops gatorade endurance and 2 scoops of endurolyte. every 15mins took a sip and chased with water.
felt great coming off of the bike

not sure. I though it went well, even though pace is much slower than usual.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

was 78th of 382 males; 10th in AG
ran past my rack and then had to run back in T2, even as I heard Christine yelling I ran too far.

go to the right spot in T2
Run
  • 1h 38m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

was 78th of 382 males. this was my best HIM run by ~15mins
nutrition- I gel flask with 5 strawberry banana GUs filled with water. Grabbed a water at each aid station and sipped the Gel Flask. Liked having the flask on the run a lot and will def use this approach on the IM.
Before the race, I told Christine that if I knew 5 hours was not going to happen, I was going to back down the run. As I approached the first aid station, I went to the port-a-john and was in there for slightly over a minute peeing. Realized my pace was strong and it felt very easy. continued on at very relaxed pace.
As I rounded lap 1, I saw Christine and Mike cheering. I asked how Ross was doing. Christine started yelling I could go faster. I yelled back "I know I can" People thought it was funny hearing us go back an forth. For a few miles, I picked it up a little but generally kept it relaxed. Felt great at the end and had some fun coming down the finish shoot.

have a better swim.....
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some post race bbq and cookies. watched Ross cross the line for his first HIM. went back to hotel, showered and drove home. wore compression socks for rest of the day.
after shower, stopped at Hooters with Christine for wings burgers and buffalo shrimp.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

sighting on the swim

Event comments:

the good:
1) run course was a fantastic course with trails and well shaded
2) volunteers on run were very helpful and energetic.
3) bike course was fun. rolling hills kept it interesting

room for improvement:
1) swim course needed to be marked better
2) bike course volunteers need to take off the plastic seal on the water bottles
3) race day chip pick up...why not the same time as package pick up.

Last updated: 2010-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/47
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: the course straight out then a 90 degree left turn and then another 90 degree to head back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:41:11 | 56 miles | 20.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/47
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: was 76th of 382 males rolling hills through Williamsburg- was able to stay big ring throughout. fun course. road condition was varied...at times the road was newly paved and other were very rough. felt like I paced well on this ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:38:42 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/47
Performance: Good
1- 8:18 (includes a solid minute in the port-o-john) 2- 7:24 3- 7:30 4- 7:55 5- 7:27 6- 7:30 7- 7:36 8- 7:23 9- 7:16 10- 7:54 11- 7:10 12- 7:45 13.1 7:32
Course: one of my favorite run course in a while. It was mostly shaded on packed trails or paved trails. 2 loop course. there were lots of aid stations and the volunteers were amazing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes