General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bunionectomy - pain in forefoot/big toe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-13 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: Bunionectomy - pain in forefoot/big toe
I had double (both feet) bunionectomy surgery 18 years ago.  I have pins in my foot and my big toe (it was a "second degree" or something like that - not the most radical 3-break one, but the two-break one if that makes sense).  Ten years ago I was running 40-50 miles per week marathon training.

About three years ago, after I had let myself go and before I got back into shape, I was experiencing swelling and discomfort in one foot.  I went to the podiatrist who told me "be thankful you got 15 years out of your surgery."  That kind of left me PO'd because I thought the surgery was a permanent fix.  Silly me.

Fast forward to today.  Still running, but recently starting to mess around with my stride via "Chi Running" and new Zoot minimalist running shoes.  I guess that's not good - starting to experience pain in my surgery areas. Stabbing pains. 

Has anyone else had a similar issue and what was your outcome?  Surgical re-do? Stay with regular running style and cushioned shoes?  I am a neutral runner with high arches.  Have never really had any problems with my feet (outside of my surgery, which was a blessing at the time because my bunions were so painful walking was difficult).

THANKS!

2010-09-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3096752

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Bunionectomy - pain in forefoot/big toe

I had both feet done, but years apart. One was about 25 years ago and the other one about 7 years ago.

i have not experienced any of the problems you mentioned. i've never heard the surgery was not a permanent fix. I dont have an pins or hardware like you mention,s o maybe that is the difference?

i've done several marathons and an ironman and have not had any flair ups at all.

2010-09-25 6:30 PM

I would love to hear from other folks who have had this surgery and been able to continue competing in running/biking--most people I've spoken to regret having had it done?
2010-10-13 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Update - my foot is broken!  Fractured first metatarsal, and the fracture is perpendicular to the pin in the bone there, which is why it wasn't AS painful, nor as inflamed, because the pin is holding the fracture together.

Aircast for 4-8 weeks.  I get my next xray on the 25th.  No cardio right now, not even swimming.  I am trying to be good so I heal quickly (and properly).

Be careful with your feet if you are carrying hardware!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bunionectomy - pain in forefoot/big toe Rss Feed