Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 35m 56s
Overall Rank = 93/155
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/31
Pre-race routine:

I was a little anxious about this race since I had a lofty goal and it was a pass/fail kind of thing. I really wanted to break the 6 hr. mark and was having some doubts since workouts close to the race had not been very good. I had put in my best effort and a lot of hours so I felt I had put the effort in.

Drove down to Williamsburg w/ Karla. She was trying to qualify for the HalfMax Championships in Mrytle Beach, SC. We had to leave late Thurs. but had a smooth drive down. Friday was spent prepping for the race. We did a few short workouts and drove the bike course. Packet pickup and the race meeting were in the afternoon. I was worried about the wetsuit temp. The RD posted 79 degrees on Thurs. AM. We were keeping our fingers crossed plus the RD described the course in a positive way and said we had a good portion of the swim w/ the current. We got back to the room, ate dinner and got to bed early.
Event warmup:

Race morning - I was up at 5am - got a bagel w/ pb and coffee then we hit the road. On edge waiting for the water temp announcement. The speakers came on and 74 degress was the word. I was so happy and relived. I really did not think I would be comfortable in a large body of water w/o a suit. A productive trip to the porta john and my wetsuit left me feeling like this was going to be a good race. I was ready! We had just enough time to get everything picked up, set up and warmed up before the race start. It worked out perfectly. No extra time spent standing around trying to kill time.
Swim
  • 1h 05m 41s
  • 1931 meters
  • 03m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got down to the beach and took a look at the course. Didn't quite seem to be the way the RD had described and the tide was a little different than we thought but I had a plan and was ready to execute. Karla and I wished each other luck and waited. Horn sounded and we were off. First hundred meters were ok but I was having trouble finding the yellow buoy. There were only 5 on the entire course. Red buoy, left yellow turn buoy, red buoy, left yellow turn buoy and one more red buoy. Things started to go downhill quick, I was having a very hard time seeing any buoys (never saw any of the red ones) and the current was moving fast underneath me. I could see and feel these tiny little fish w/ every stroke and see them flying by under the water. I got out in the main part of the river and lost track of my surrounding. I've never once had to stop in a race, tread water and spend time looking around trying to orient myself. I did this at least 10 times. At one point, as the yellow buoy seemed to be getting farther away, I started to wonder if I could make it to the buoy. I think I got myself in a bad spot and could not get out of the current. I made a decision to try swimming parallel to the buoy and shorten my stroke but go faster. Eventually I got myself over the right enough to inch along. Finally after an eternity I made it the first turn. I rounded the buoy and couldn't see anything or figure out which direction to go. I start one way and realize it was more of a 120 degree turn and not a 90 degree turn.

In what seemed like 3 strokes I glance to the left and see a buoy, it's the second turn buoy. But I was off course again as a kayaker rows over to me and another swimmer to push us in the right direction. Now the problem is the sun. It is right in front of me and I can't see anything including the shore. I have no idea how much I zigzagged back and forth desparating trying to find the wiggly man landmark. Finally I get close to see only to realize I am still far from shore. My heart sank.

When I finally got close to shore, there was another red cap next to me and she stood up even though we were at least 200m from shore - it was really shallow. I tried to swim again but she was walking as fast as I was swimming so I stood again. I glanced at my watch and saw a line followed by a 2. I thought for a brief second it said 42 which would have been crazy then realized it said 1:02:XX. At that moment I was devasted. Maybe a strong word but emotions run high during a race. It took another 2-3 min to walk out of the water and get to the timing mat before a long run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing besides being a better swimmer that might have helped would be knowledge of rivers and currents. Looking back, I may have stood a better chance to the first buoy if I had started as far to the right as possible. Then the current could have pushed me right to left instead of the endless pool trap I feel into.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Transition was actually pretty good and ahead of my plan. I would have been even faster if I felt like it mattered. I tried my best to give myself a pep talk and decided that I was not ready to quit. Maybe I thought I could have a great, better than expected bike split. So off I went to give it a try.

Nothing really given my situation
Bike
  • 3h 08m 18s
  • 56.9 miles
  • 18.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I went hard in the beginning once I got the legs warmed up but I basically was able to sustain my planned effort. The bike was good. I was happy w/ it. I stayed more comfortable in the neck, back and seat than Texas but could still get stronger. After mile 40 or so, I eased off the gas petal a bit b/c I was not making up time.

I tried another bottle handoff and almost wreaked so I stopped at the second aid station and got water.

Nutrition worked out well. I went through 3 servings of Infinit (660 cal) and half a bottle of water.

Keep training so I can get faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Legs cramped a tad coming off the bike but I also went too hard from hopping off to running down hill w/ the bike.

Test the legs before trying to take off.
Run
  • 2h 15m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Well my goal was long gone. And I wasn't too thrilled about going to run 13 miles and have all that time to think about it. I started chugging along and decided not to kill myself.

When I hit the first aid station, I saw food. Normally I would not touch anything unless I was desperate but there were yummy looking oranges and Chex Mix. I made up my mind to make the best of the run and eat/drink along the way.

I snacked on Chex Mix a few times just walking through the woods taking in the scenery. I saw a family of deer and a buck w/ 6-8 points. I thought hey buddy you better stay away from the hunters I saw on the bike route. I saw so many colorful butterflies. Lots of color. I talked to one guy walking along. It was his first race at that distance and he was happy to be finishing. He said he had been hit by a car 2 years ago so I wished him luck and jogged off. I saw Karla a few times along the way. She was having an awesome race.

I walked when I wanted and in general took my time. I almost burst into tears at one point on the run - the emotion of the day catching up to me. But I got it together and told myself that was ridiculous. I got a little tired and sore at the end so I tried to pick up the pace just to be done. Karla was waiting for me at the finisher's chute. I stopped and gave her a hug and said I was so happy for her and proud of her effort. She ran in w/ me and then I was done.

Learn to swim.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate some watermelon, drank some water and waited w/ Karla for awards. She finished 2nd in our AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the world knows by now. ;-)

I already feel better writing this RR. Sometimes it just helps to whine, cry and get it out of your system then you can get back to business. I have a lot of running miles ahead of me for the next 6 months. And someday soon I will take my revenge on a 2000m swim.

Event comments:

One of the better Set Up Events. Great volunteers - lots of aid stations and plenty of supplies. Just please, please mark the swim course better. There need to be more buoys.

Last updated: 2010-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:05:41 | 1931 meters | 03m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 26/31
Overall: 136/155
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless Nineteen
Course: some sort of rhombus shape w/ 2 left turns.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:18 | 56.9 miles | 18.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/155
Performance: Good
Avg around 150
Wind: None
Course: Very flat and fast
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/155
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat through the woods and on paved trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: Patriot's Half

2010-09-14 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3097094

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Patriot's Half
sorry about the swim sam.  i know and YOU know you're not even close to 1 hour him swimmer. love the "get back to business" attitude! 
2010-09-14 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Way to push through Sam.  Sometimes the race doesn't go as planned and you have to adapt and overcome.  You did a great job of doing that which will pay you back in spades during your next race. 

Way to stick to your guns and keep moving forward.  
2010-09-14 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Apparently you have been taking swim-sighting lessons from Red! That would explain the issue you had. Wink

Seriously, you had tough swim conditions than I did on my olympic, which was slow too. We learn from them and move on. You will use this knowledge for the next on, which you will Rock! Despite the disheartening swim I think everything after the swim, transitions too, were all great. You need to be proud of those results. Seriously. I would be happy right now with that run time at Augusta!

The only thing I am am disappointed in is that you were considering NOT writing this report. You need this report. It is a benchmark which you will refer to in the future when preparing for tyour next one, and after the next one to see how far you have come!
2010-09-14 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Could you teach me how to have such a bad day. You were almost 2 hours faster than my last HIM. 

Awesome race Sam. As you well know we can all take something positive away from the race and something to make better in the next one. Great heart to stick with it and finish.

2010-09-14 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
great job staying mentally tough especially when your swim didn't go as planned.  Nice bike and run, and nice that you took in the scenery and free food during the run!

2010-09-14 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
First off, the swim currents suck and there isn't anything you can do about it.   And I know exactly how you felt on the run. I remember my half when I looked at my watch and saw the time ticking away and I was still so far from being done.  But like everyone has said it all happens for a reason.  Way to stay positive.
2010-09-14 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
I'm with you 100% on the swim....and if when you figure it out, let me know!!

AWESOME job on pushing through and finishing strong.....your mental strength was incredible!

Nice job.
2010-09-14 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Way to hang in there and execute your race despite the tough swim. I felt very similar at Lonestar when I saw my swim time I knew my secret time goal was not going to happen. It takes mental strength basis to get back into the race execution place but you did it.

Well done...time doesn't reflect how we did often.

Hope they invest in some more buoys.
2010-09-14 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3097415

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
HA, that's why I don't wear a watch on the swim!

Still a good race, IMO.

Now time to get ready for OBX.
2010-09-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3097508

User image

Master
Sam, I would be thrilled to have that bike split!! Awesome!! That sounds like a brutal tough swim. Currents bite, big-time. 

Love how you hung in there and didn't give up. Races that "beat" us just suck and it is a true test of our mental endurance. You did not let the race win. You are one tough cookie, but we all knew that already.

Onward...!!!! I think you did awesome. Thanks for writing a RR. 

2010-09-14 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Sam, way to perservere and come out the other side.  Every swim we do, we learn a little more about ourselves and how to improve.  You will be the swimmer you want to be, guarantee it!
2010-09-14 10:29 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Great T2!!!
for your learning opportunites : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River

Honestly, we all have bad races, or stages of races that lead to what we deem bad races. No biggee, shake it off.
You had a crappy swim, but hey it was probably better than what Tony would have done right? There's a positive.

Edited by TrevorC 2010-09-14 10:30 AM
2010-09-14 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3097645

User image

Expert
B'ham
 I saw a family of deer and a buck w/ 6-8 points. I thought hey buddy you better stay away from the hunters I saw on the bike route. I saw so many colorful butterflies. Lots of color.

I don't know what was in that Chex Mix, but I'll take some

Way to stick it out.  Not meeting our goals is tough, but gutting it out and finishing is even tougher.  It says a lot about your character.
2010-09-14 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Way to finish it Sam and you had 2 other great races this summer!
2010-10-08 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Your swim sounded a lot like mine... I actually went to the inside left of the group to the first turn buoy which is/was way wrong for that course.  Getting to the first buoy felt like it took forever.  Next year I'm going to start to the right as you noted.  I think the RD said to do that very same thing in a race meeting, but hearing and experiencing it are two entirely different things.    

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Half Rss Feed