General Discussion Race Reports! » Tawas Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tawas Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
East Tawas, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 23m 28s
Overall Rank = 36/173
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/24
Pre-race routine:

Tried to stay warm in the full wetsuit, listned to national anthem and had a moment of silence for those who died in the attacks on 9/11.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup other than a short swim out to the start buoy and back in to the beach.
Swim
  • 27m 31s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was interesting with many people opting to walk the first half in the shallow water. I had to walk some due to those walking around and in front of me as well as the shallow water.
What would you do differently?:

Start in the very front and on the left in order to get out and be able to swim the entire course.
Transition 1
  • 04m 18s
Comments:

Long run from lake across roads into parking lot transition area. It was cold and my heels began to hurt by the time I arrived in t1.

not much, I was just taking it pretty easy.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was difficult with the limited miles that I had put in for training. I also struggle to find hills to train on in Mid Michigan so the hills seemed much tougher for me than most. I also did not enjoy being passed by and observing pelotons of as many as 8-9 people at a time. If they are not going to enforce drafting rules then don't have them in place, period!

Since I refuse to cheat on the bike I wouldn't change much other than train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

OK, so here is where my race went BAD. I always come into t2 kind of "hot" and have never had any problems with the flying dismount. This was different! I started to bring my right foot over the top tube and hit my rear brake and things just went bad, fast. I believe that my rear tire hit some grit, or even a pebble, and the next thing you know the rear of the bike is flying out from under me and I am going down hard at about 18 mph! I was able to pop right up, was checked over by volunteers and race official (which cost me about 3 minutes on the bike) and limped into transition. I have some nice road rash on my knee, both elbows, shoulder and hand, and a pretty nasty bruise on my hip which really began to hurt on the run.

Think about what I'm doing, slow down, and dismount slowly and carefully- lesson learned!
Run
  • 1h 59m 14s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started bad as a result of my crash coming into t2. I felt quite good from a cardio standpoint but my left hip really started to affect my gait during the second half of the run which led to some cramps in places that I'd never had them.

Not crash coming into t2
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some watermelon, met up with Rottieguy and twohearted, and headed back to transition to check on the damage to my bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training and aforementioned t2 incident

Event comments:

This was a nice race, and I feel that 3D did a nice job in putting it on. I do wish that there were course marshalls enforcing drafting rules as there was not one penalty given, and according to others on the course, the 3D truck followed behind one obvious peleton for quite a ways.

Last updated: 2010-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:31 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 11/173
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Xterra
Course: The course was shortened to the olympic course, which sucked, and was very shallow on the out portion.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:50:52 | 56 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/24
Overall: 47/173
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The course was nice with smooth roads for the most part. A long out with a turnaround then a short out and back added on to the return trip.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:59:14 | 13.4 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 52/173
Course: The course was two out and backs, very flat, on nice paved roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 7:17 AM

Subject: Tawas Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man

2010-09-14 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3097116

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tawas Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man

Great job on getting the run done I know you were hurting out there.

We enjoyed our weekend in Tawas and glad we had a chance to hang out and relax a bit with you, something we didn't get a chance to do at B2B.

2010-09-16 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3097116

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tawas Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man

Nice job Ben! You did great. Hope you are healing up ok. It was so nice to see you again. We will have to try and plan another race at the same time. Would love to meet your wife and girls

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tawas Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Man Rss Feed