5430 Sports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 15m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Cathy's and spent the night in Westminister. Packed the night before but should have loaded all my extra crap into the car. Took 15 min to put all that stuff in the car. Ughhh. At Cinnamon Toast crunch with skim milk, yogurt and a nectarine. Stomach was full. Wanted to make sure my nutrition was good.
Event warmup:

Met up with some other Bters. Saw luvtoride, Joe, Jason, macdaddy, et. al. It was great to see so many BT folks. Swam a little. Don't know why but I was really nervous. Looked out on the lake and saw those buoys and thought "Geez that's a long way." This was my first Olympic and I wasn't sure that I was going to make it. I picked a really hard race to do my first. I talked to Nicole DeBoom afterwards and she even said it was a hard Olympic. So I felt better. But still, I was nervous and had lots of anxiety.
Swim
  • 36m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, I started this swim nice and easy. No panic just out for a morning swim. Really didn't push it too hard. I swam way too much outside. But kept my eye on the furthest buoy so I didn't get psyched out by the sighting buoys they had lined up along the course. Even though I was good and steady, I caught up with a couple of stragglers from other waves even saw Joe who was a wave ahead of me,but didn't have any guys behind me. Well apparently some guy had a heartached and they stopped the race right after our wave. That was just an omen of things to come.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little more. This was my first 1500 m swim in a race and I didn't want to tire myself out. Plus I knew I had a hell of a climb on the bike so I just worked the arms.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition was OK. I gotta get used to running after the swim. I get finished and I just want to sit down! :)

Run faster.
Bike
  • 2h 13m
  • 26.1 miles
  • 11.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I did good. Got 1/2 up Old Stage and passed a lot of people who were walking already. I looked at my speedometer and I was going like 4 mph. It was crazy. I couldn't just walked up the whole damn thing. Finally, when I hit the top speed of 2.5 mph I just couldn't take it anymore, I had started going backwards so I hopped off and started to walk. But then I thought this sucks so I got back on the bike and finished the hills. Ugh this bike course sucked big balloons. I hated it. It hurt and I couldn't wait to get off my freakin' bike. Ughhhh. But I finished it and well was disappointed I didn't ride the entire way up the hill.

Train more on hills. Figure out a way to do hills without bitching and complaining so much. I psyched myself out on the bike. All week I kept saying how horrible I was at bike and when it got to the race I guess I blieved it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I finally finished the last freakin' hill on the bike and I was riding to the dismount line when I looked at the transition area and thought, "Look at all those bikes." Geez. Have you ever had 1500 people pass you in a race? God. It sucks.
Socks were wet for some reason but I jammed them into my running shoes anyway.

This went well. Except I had to run afterwards! :)
Run
  • 1h 33m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this turned out to be a nice finisher! I ran the entire way no stopping and no walking only at aid stations. I was actually smiling. I think I had happy feelings because I wasn't on the freakin' bike anymore. I was just so happy to run and not have cramping or any problems. Had some GI problems probably too much liquid to run but other than that this was great. Now I just need to run faster.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed on the ground! Ate some Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fat butt! My fear of hills!

Event comments:

It is so unfortunate that this race was plagued with disaster. I feel so bad for the guy who crashed on the bike. I think he died. But I really think they should have closed that road. It's a two way highway with a double yellow pretty much the entire way. Lots of blind curves. And on those downhills somepeople got up to 47 mph. It was nutty. But all in all for my first Olympic it was hardcore. It was also cool seeing Simon Lessing, Tim DeBoom and the other pro athletes racing in this race. Not really happy that Simon Lessing was finished with the entire race in the time it took me to do the bike portion. Crazy. He pulled a 1:55. Nutty.
But I enjoyed myself still I'm glad I only have to do this race once a year! :)
Good news the biker that crashed into the car is alive. He's hospitalized and undergoing surgery. Docs say it will take him a year to recover but at least he's alive. Doc says helmet saved his life and saved him from getting brain damage. Also there was another biker that crashed in the same accident. He's also in the hospital.
Lesson - always wear a helmet and slow the freak down on downhills!

Last updated: 2005-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:57 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion
Course: Course was triangular. Make a loop and back to the beach. I lined up on the far right. Probably a little too much outside. I swam about 250 m extra I'm sure but it was worth it to not be caught up in the washing machine. Time is estimate from my watch and doesn't include the run up the beach to the bike.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:13:00 | 26.1 miles | 11.77 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Boulder Peak is a legendary Olympic triathlon for one reason - Old Stage Road. You basically climb up a hill that's a 15 % grade six miles into the bike and you climb for about four or five miles. It's a tough climb and even tough downhill because of the sharp turns at the end. Unfortunately someone didn't make it across those sharp turns. Apparently someone hit a car going downhill and let's just say the car won. After the downhill you get some wicked downhills but then you do rolling hills for about 5 miles, oh did I tell you that the first six miles were slightly up hill too So there are about 13 miles of hills in this 26 miles.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:33:00 | 06.21 miles | 14m 59s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back on gravel mostly in the sun near the water no breeze and it was hotter than Satan's birthday party.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-24 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Boulder Peak Olympic Tri

2005-07-24 5:49 PM
in reply to: #205847

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Olympic Tri

Sad events aside , .........

YOU had an AWESOME race!  "sucked big balloons"?  you have some funny sayings.   Great job O....looking forward to seeing you do this again next year!

2005-07-24 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race O! Sounds like it was good and steady throughout - nice approach for you first Olympic distance.
2005-07-24 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Wow, good to hear that the biker is alive, hope he recovers quickly. Must have been a really scary experience.

Great race, I was there as a spectator, it was fun, made me really excited for my first tri which is in September!
2005-07-24 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

You rock O!!! No walking on the run, even after that killer bike course....you're my hero!! That is my goal for my Oly

I'm smiling thinking about how far you've come in a year! Look at you go...YEAH!!!!

2005-07-24 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Great race O!!   You did a fabulous job on the bike--hills suck!!  

2005-07-24 9:26 PM

User image

Great job today, Ovetta.  I liked your determination on both the bike and run - no 15% incline hill was going to make you give up!  And it's awesome that you didn't stop at all on the run - most people can't even run 6 miles, let alone do it after swimming and biking!
2005-07-24 9:50 PM

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I loved that bike ride, all the uphill meant a LOT of downhill. Unfotrunately I knocked my speedo sensor so I got no speeds, but no one passed me on a downhill. Uphills are another story completely. I met my goal of finishing under 3 hours with 5 minutes to spare, but I am too lazy to write an awesome race report like Ovetta. Hey, did you see that I posted a couple of Colorado Springs ride routes for you at the end of this thread: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2005-07-24 10:10 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Way to finish!   Great report and it is good to hear those guys are still alive!   'Good to sse you afterwards too!
2005-07-24 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Nice race sweetness!  You ROCK!
2005-07-25 9:04 AM

User image

Buttercup
Chick, you are a stud!!! Congrats on your first OLY!!!

2005-07-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: #206161

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Congrats, Ovetta!
2005-07-25 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

WOOHOO!!! Nice job Ovetta!!!

I totally understand your loathing of the bike (I'm right there with you), but I think it's awesome that you got out there and did this race anyways.  If you can ride that bike course, you can ride any other bike course

Looks like you cruised through the swim, fast as usual.  And way to go on not walking at all during the run, especially in that heat - did you think one year ago that that would be possible??  Especially after that bike ride?

2005-07-25 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

LOL at sucking big balloons!!! I'm jumping up and down for you that you ran all the run! All that time running has REALLY paid off! Maybe it's just because the bike sucked. The Tri Gods have it all rigged I think, if your bike leg sucks, they bless you for a good run. But if you rock the bike, you end up like me, Dead Girl Walking/Jogging, for the run.

Anyhow, AWESOME job! Congrats on the first Oly (I can't believe you chose BP for you first)! Any thoughts about what you've learned in prep for your 1/2 IM?

2005-07-25 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Well, you're one up on me - I had to walk! Great race, Ovetta. How did I not know this was your first Oly??? Congratulations - you picked a doozey for your first!
2005-07-25 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

You must have been at "satan's birthday party" 'cause that was one juicy hug you gave me at the finish!!

Great job! and congrats on your first Oly! 

2005-07-25 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Excellent race, Ovetta!! It takes some serious stones to do your first Olympic tri knowing that you were gonna have to deal w/ Old Stage Rd. I've only heard about that hill in "Campfire stories"
2005-07-25 4:06 PM

User image

Congratulations Ovetta.  You really know how to challenge yourself and gut it out!  Great job!
2005-07-28 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW Congrats on your first OLY   I'm glad you did it..I'm sure you are too.  Gald to hear those who crashed are OK.  Take care -SMO
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Olympic Tri Rss Feed