General Discussion Race Reports! » The Peoples Bank 33rd Annual Midnight Flight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Peoples Bank 33rd Annual Midnight Flight - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Anderson, South Carolina
United States
73F / 23C
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a completely different experience as it was 11 at night. James and I had dinner then I got changed an picked up my sister and drove to Anderson.
Event warmup:

We got there a little later than I wanted so all I had time for was a pee break and stretching before heading to the starting line.
Run
  • 1h 23m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off really well. Had my fastest mile time ever (11:20) but then things went down hill really fast. Shins hurt extremely bad even just walking and I thought seriously about quitting but then Annie's little E-M-M-M-M-M-A cheer she had just made up for me ran through my head and I knew she nor James came to watch me quit and I knew I'd regret it if I did so I made up my mind to finish even if that meant coming in last place and walking the rest. Thankfully around mile 3 my shins started feeling better so I started running again and as soon as my shins would start hurting bad I'd walk. This continued for the rest of the race. I found a girl to pace off of who was doing the same run/walk thing as me but ended up having to leave her around mile 4.5 as she was slowing down and my shins were allowing me to run more. At mile 6 came the turn for the finish line and there were James and Annie. James was taking a thousand pictures and Annie was cheering "E-M-M-M-M-M-A" as loud as she could along with "Run Faster". Some guy standing nearby could not stop laughing at her but I have to admit it was pretty comical listening to her.

What would you do differently?:

Find a way to get my shin splints under control.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched got water found James and Annie

What limited your ability to perform faster:

shins splints, need to find a way to train more and not hurt my shins

Event comments:

I have to say this was a really cool race regardless of not hitting my goal time. Something about being out around midnight running under the stars was oddly peaceful. I'd definitely do another night race!

About 5ish minutes after I finished a guy in a wheel chair crossed the finish line... really cool to see. I couldnt imagine pushing myself in a wheel chair for over 6 miles!

Last updated: 2010-07-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:28 | 06.21 miles | 13m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Subject: The Peoples Bank 33rd Annual Midnight Flight

2010-09-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3097431

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: The Peoples Bank 33rd Annual Midnight Flight
Great job pushing through the shin pain and staying focus.  I can't imagine running with shin splints, that must have been so painful.  Congrats also on your fastest mile!
2010-09-14 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3097431

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: The Peoples Bank 33rd Annual Midnight Flight
nice job Emma.  Sure hope you figure out the key to those shin splits some day.  Way to rock it
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Peoples Bank 33rd Annual Midnight Flight Rss Feed