Revolution3
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 25s
Overall Rank = 193/598
Age Group = Dude 35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/89
Pre-race routine:

Traveled to Toledo Friday night to drop kids off with grandma. Slept on Grandma's couch with cat jumping on my face. Left saturday noontime with my wife in an attempt to get checked in, drop bike off and pick up the race packet before the Ohio State game. Did all that and was able to slide into a table at BW3 for the game 5 min before kickoff. We were joined by other friends who were there spectating and racing. 3 tall beers later, satisfied by the resounding OSU victory, I took a "nap" before dinner at Olive Garden. (What a strict diet and training regimen regimen I have). We were staying off site at a hotel about 10 minutes away. I got up around 5:50, met a friend of mine for a small breakfast in the lobby and she and I drove to the race.
Event warmup:

Not much, got my transition area set up. I really like the bike racking. Very clean. I even had my own name plate - how quaint. I got the wetsuit on and wandered down the beach to watch the full folks make the first loop. Saw Ahohl coming out of the water. Saw Davidtris who tried to get me to drink whiskey pre race. Maybe next time. After the full people finished their first lap we started to get ready. I swam briefly - the water was cool/cold but nice to be in. I tried to warm up the lake but it didnt work but I felt better.
Swim
  • 38m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had difficulty getting my bearings and learning to sight. I was not very straight or online. I also had some issues learning to deal with the small waves. The second portion of the race went better than the first. I wasnt tired at all and I wasnt distressed but I wasnt very straight either.
What would you do differently?:

Other than practice open water sighting more I think it went ok from a swim perspective. I wanted to be close to my previous best (37 something) so I met that goal.

REV3 tracks results with a rolling average of your placement in the age group. Out of the water I was 27/89
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

The transition area was very neat and organized. I was able to make sure I got everything squared away before I started. One small issue I had was that I forgot any sort of crotch protection. I was going to have to do the ride and run sans skin protectant. I have gone 70 miles biking without and 13 miles running without so I was going to try them both together and hope I didnt have ground beef in my pants when I was done :)

maybe bring some body glide or something to protect my bits.

My rolling place in my AG was 25/89
Bike
  • 2h 56m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to hit 19 mph on the bike and I nailed it. The wind is mostly at your back for the first 35 miles or so. I did 39 miles in 2 hours. The way back in way a combo of wind in face, sidewind, wind at back. The first 5 miles out and last 5 miles back in are on a pretty rough road. You really needed to pay attention the some of the large cracks and holes in the road. It was also a divided road which meant there was really only room for about two riders abreast. Narrow plus dangerous passing due to road conditions led to some drafting/bunching up but I dont think it was because of blatant cheating more as a function of the course.
I saw the marshals about 7 times on my bike which I think was great. I only saw one instance of blatant drafting ( a group of four guys, one of them said " I am getting a little burned - someone else pull for a bit )
Aid stations were every 10 miles exactly as stated in the race packet. Good help. I refilled my water bottle once with a hand up.
I ate 1.5 cliff bars and a whole 20 oz bottle of chocolate soy milk during my ride (roughly 800 calories) I think it was good enough fuel for the run

not much - I think it went great

My rolling place in the AG went from 25/89 from the start to 43/89 at the end. Obviously my bike isnt my best
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Didnt do a flying dismount. Found my rack space with ease. I ride without socks but for longer ditances I run with socks so I took some time putting my socks on. got some new gum, stopped for a photo op and peed - all in all that was a pretty good transition time for all those activities.

my rolling AG place actually went from 43/89 to 41/89 during the T2
Run
  • 1h 53m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

REV3 tracks your pacing at several points during the running portion (they also do it on the bike too - very nice). My goal was for about an 8:20 pace. The wind is at your back for the first 2-3 miles. Consequently I did the first 3.5 miles at a sub 8 minute pace. I felt fine until about mile 7. I was getting sips of water, grapes and ice at the aid stations (also every mile and well staffed with people). I got caught by the Full distance leader around mile 6.5. I got passed by a dude named Bjorn (it was on his butt, not that I stare at guys butts but I didnt really have anything else to look at the time). He had three cyclists, a police motorcycle and a HELICOPTER following him. So I was a celebrity for the 15 seconds it took for him to catch and pass me.

Somewhere between mile 7 and 8 and left hamstring and quad started to cramp. I tried to stretch them but that didnt work as it made the muscle opposite the muscle I was stretching cramp. The last five miles I had to go at a slower pace because there was a cadence point that the muscles would lock up. So I just kinda jogged in the last few miles. I didnt feel bad other than when I would go too fast. My pacing for the last few miles was just north of 9 min miles.

When I finished I was covered in white dust. Because it was cool and windy out, I didnt really notice my sweat loss. I should look into a more aggressive salt replacement sometime. I tried Cerasport on the course when I started cramping and I decided I would rather cramp and crawl than drink that stuff. Not good.

My AG ranking improved on the run from 41/89 at the start of the run to 33/89 at the end
Post race
Warm down:

The finish line had lots of people and a giant TV and an announcer who actually pronounced my last name right. After the finish I went and got in an ice bath (shocking but it felt great) and a massage (all free man). I looked at the food but I wasnt hungry. In fact I didnt eat anything until 730 that night. I changed clothes, watched some friends finish then a group of us went and rode roller coasters for 3 hours in the sun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I hit or came close enough on my target goals, I didnt get hurt and I really liked the venue.

Event comments:

I think this was a tremendous race, especially for its first year. A good crowd, well organzied, lots of swag and extras (2 shirts, visor,bag, 2 tickets to cedar point, personalized racks, massage, ice baths, cool tech and tracking). I have never done a 70.3 branded race but I would find it hard to believe that it is much better than this. The location is great. The only downsides are that Lake Erie could be ugly (it was on saturday but turned nice on sunday) and a few first time event snafus from hotel and cedar point employees (not a biggie really).

We actually stayed to almost 11:30 PM. One friend (who was spectating) starting internally bleeding from a recent surgery and had to be sent to the ER and OR for surgery. Unfortunately her husband was doing the full so we hung around to see him at the transitions and cheer him on. His wife is such and animal that she started bleeding, got rushed to the OR, had a 1 hour surgery under general anesthetic got discharged and made it back for his finish. He then spent an hour in the med tent. Consequently we didnt get home to Toledo until 2 AM and I had to be at work in Cincy Monday at 12PM. I was a tired puppy.

Last updated: 2010-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:51 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/89
Overall: 0/598
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: rectangle out into the expanse of Lake Erie
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:56:30 | 56 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/89
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: kinda a rectangleish loop. some flat, some rolling stuff. countrysides, some neighborhoods. some closed to traffic, some not.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:53:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/89
Performance:
Course: A run down the Cedar Point causeway and a run around the marina, the downtown park, up and down the streets of sandusky and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman

2010-09-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3097542

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Nice Tom. You should have had the whiskey though, it would have warmed you for the swim.
2010-09-14 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Nice race bananatoes. Sounds like you executed just as you wanted to. Tried to warm up Lake Erie, ha - nice line. Hope you let it all wash out of your wetsuit. Congrats on hitting your goal.
2010-09-14 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Awesome race, Tom! It was nice chatting with you before the race. It was nice to see a familiar face from other races out there.
2010-09-14 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race! As a reward I say we go do the Tour de Donut next weekend. Since I did the Full Rev you have to pull the entire 30 miles.
2010-09-15 5:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very nice race and race report!  :-)

2010-09-15 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Awesome Tom! Great finish time! It was good reading about your race.
It was SO GOOD seeing you at the finish. I was really surprised.
Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Rss Feed