General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-07-26 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
IMLP Race Report is up here

2011-07-26 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3615160

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

I didn't race but congrats to everyone that did.  I was at the special needs run in the AM taking your red bags.  The VERY tall blond guy with the blue Adidas bucket hat if you remember..

I'm doing it next year and very excited to be part of it!

2011-07-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3615160

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
kaburns1214 - 2011-07-26 11:32 AM

IMLP Race Report is up here

Just a quick question... How are your race report times faster (11 minutes) than the results currently posted?

That, and that bike crash was pretty crazy, I was right behind you when it happened.
2011-07-26 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Hey everybody,

It was great to meet you all and I'm happy that you all had great days on Sunday.

I on the other hand didn't have as good as a day as I was expecting. I'll get a full race report written up sometime but for now heres the short version.

Had an amazing swim, 1:13, faster than my goal time. I was actually taking it really easy the entire swim I think it was just the fact that I was continuously passing and drafting off of people in the water that allowed me to swim that fast. Felt great coming out of the water.

The first loop of the bike felt great, managed it in just around 3:06 which was slightly faster than my goal pace. But just as in the swim I took it easy the whole way. Spun my way up hills and keep it easy on the flats.

Started the second loop feeling just as strong. However with about 30 miles to go (right around the small incline up into Jay) I noticed my quads/calfs were starting to cramp. It would only happen when I stopped pedaling then the cramps would work them selves out as soon as I got going again. The last 10 miles climbing up back into Lake Placid was a struggle but I still felt good. Thought as long as I kept moving the cramps would work them selves out. Got off the bike right after 3pm which was right where I wanted to be.

Got into the changing tent sat down to change my shoes and my calfs instantly locked up on me. Took me about 5 min of massaging them to get them to relax(thought the volunteer was going to call medical on me then). Finally managed to get changed and get going. Hobbled out of T2 and starting "jogging"(more like barely able to get my legs moving but it was more than a walk)

Stopped to walk at the first aid station to take in some fluid. Tried to start running again after it and my legs would not work. As soon as I did anything more than a walk they completely locked up on me. I almost fell over on the side of the road a few times trying to start running. Decided on just trying to walk it out and hopefully they'd get better.

I ended up getting pulled off the course at a little before mile 4. I had stopped walking at the aid station to try and catch my breath/lower my heartrate(was up to around 170 just walking), when I suddenly got very dizzy. Some volunteers sat me down and called the EMTs over.

Long story short, ended up getting taken via ambulance back to the medical tent, had close to 4000mL of Saline put into me via IV. Lost close to 15 pounds, and almost sent to the hospital.

Initially I thought that I was drinking enough water on the bike but the more I look back on it I really don't think I drank that much. Hard to tell due to getting a new water bottle every 10 miles on the bike. 

The worst feeling in the world was lying in the medical tent hooked up to the IV with all the doctors around me and hearing everyone's name being called out as an Ironman when they crossed the finish line. If it wasn't for the fact that my GF managed to somehow get into the tent to see me I would have ended up with with a pretty bad mental breakdown. Seeing everyone on Monday in their finisher gear almost messed me up really bad as well. Once again my GF and some other friends in the area kept me in one piece.

Its a big disappointment but I'll learn from it and come back next year to kick its butt.

(And to add insult to injury I missed the back of my shoulder blades putting on sunscreen and I'm currently dealing with very bad second degree(huge blisters) on my back. The sunburn might also have contributed to my dehydration)

Edited by drdking 2011-07-26 1:05 PM
2011-07-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3615413

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

glazebal - 2011-07-26 1:15 PM
kaburns1214 - 2011-07-26 11:32 AM IMLP Race Report is up here
Just a quick question... How are your race report times faster (11 minutes) than the results currently posted? That, and that bike crash was pretty crazy, I was right behind you when it happened.

I went off my Garmin -- just checked and fixed it on my blog and put the time at 12:47.  Looks like my Garmin was auto pausing in multi sport mode whenever I stopped moving.

2011-07-26 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
Race report up... I wasn't going to put one up, but hey, why not .

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Some of the ranking numbers look weird, so once everything gets sorted out, I'll make edits. But for now, I'll just put up what they show.

Edited by glazebal 2011-07-26 1:39 PM

2011-07-26 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3615512

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
John, you will come back and have your revenge. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune though. You have the experience, and now you can build on that and bring it strong for the next one.

I actually saw a guy when I was on the bike coming back into town stopped and was talking to someone when he literally just fell over. It was tough in the middle of the day when that sun was blasting, even though the temperature wasn't all that bad.

I actually ran out of water in my speedfil pretty early, which is abnormal for me. I figured though, I'd rather go that direction than not having enough.

2011-07-26 1:29 PM

User image

drdking - 2011-07-26 1:57 PM

Hey everybody,

It was great to meet you all and I'm happy that you all had great days on Sunday.

I on the other hand didn't have as good as a day as I was expecting. I'll get a full race report written up sometime but for now heres the short version.

Had an amazing swim, 1:13, faster than my goal time. I was actually taking it really easy the entire swim I think it was just the fact that I was continuously passing and drafting off of people in the water that allowed me to swim that fast. Felt great coming out of the water.

The first loop of the bike felt great, managed it in just around 3:06 which was slightly faster than my goal pace. But just as in the swim I took it easy the whole way. Spun my way up hills and keep it easy on the flats.

Started the second loop feeling just as strong. However with about 30 miles to go (right around the small incline up into Jay) I noticed my quads/calfs were starting to cramp. It would only happen when I stopped pedaling then the cramps would work them selves out as soon as I got going again. The last 10 miles climbing up back into Lake Placid was a struggle but I still felt good. Thought as long as I kept moving the cramps would work them selves out. Got off the bike right after 3pm which was right where I wanted to be.

Got into the changing tent sat down to change my shoes and my calfs instantly locked up on me. Took me about 5 min of massaging them to get them to relax(thought the volunteer was going to call medical on me then). Finally managed to get changed and get going. Hobbled out of T2 and starting "jogging"(more like barely able to get my legs moving but it was more than a walk)

Stopped to walk at the first aid station to take in some fluid. Tried to start running again after it and my legs would not work. As soon as I did anything more than a walk they completely locked up on me. I almost fell over on the side of the road a few times trying to start running. Decided on just trying to walk it out and hopefully they'd get better.

I ended up getting pulled off the course at a little before mile 4. I had stopped walking at the aid station to try and catch my breath/lower my heartrate(was up to around 170 just walking), when I suddenly got very dizzy. Some volunteers sat me down and called the EMTs over.

Long story short, ended up getting taken via ambulance back to the medical tent, had close to 4000mL of Saline put into me via IV. Lost close to 15 pounds, and almost sent to the hospital.

Initially I thought that I was drinking enough water on the bike but the more I look back on it I really don't think I drank that much. Hard to tell due to getting a new water bottle every 10 miles on the bike. 

The worst feeling in the world was lying in the medical tent hooked up to the IV with all the doctors around me and hearing everyone's name being called out as an Ironman when they crossed the finish line. If it wasn't for the fact that my GF managed to somehow get into the tent to see me I would have ended up with with a pretty bad mental breakdown. Seeing everyone on Monday in their finisher gear almost messed me up really bad as well. Once again my GF and some other friends in the area kept me in one piece.

Its a big disappointment but I'll learn from it and come back next year to kick its butt.

(And to add insult to injury I missed the back of my shoulder blades putting on sunscreen and I'm currently dealing with very bad second degree(huge blisters) on my back. The sunburn might also have contributed to my dehydration)

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.  Ugh.  Sucks.  You may be similar to me along the lines that A.) I dehydrate quickly and need lots of fluid.  To give you an idea, as soon as I got on the bike I drank a bottle of gatorade, then shortly after a full 16oz of water (w/ carbopro).  I then took two bottles of perform and a bottle of water and another bottle of perform - all just for the 1st loop.  On the second loop I took two bottles of perform and two bottles of water and then a final bottle of perform.  So total for the 112 miles I had A LOT of fluids and I did not pee once, and when I finally peed at Transition 2 my urine was a DARK YELLOW.  So yeah, four bottles of water and seven bottles of electrolyte sport drink, plus 4 power bars, three gels (all with electrolytes) and I was still (according to my lack of pee and color of it) slightly dehydrated. 

B.) I also, despite putting sunblock on first thing in the morning and in T2, got wicked sunburn on my shoulder blades. 

C.) My hamstrings threatened to 'lock up' several times. 

I bet next Ironman you address these issues and it will make it that much sweeter when Riley announces you as an Ironman after you cross that finishers line.  Have Faith!
2011-07-26 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3614913

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

TankBoy - 2011-07-26 9:34 AM.... Fortunately I broke my fall with my head, so my body damage seems to be restricted to lots of road rash and a badly bruised rotator cuff...

Wow!  To get up after that and finish is amazing.  But to do it under 12hrs is the stuff of legend!  Great job and happy anniversary.

2011-07-26 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
drdking - 2011-07-26 1:57 PM

Oh man!  Sorry to hear about your ordeal out there.  It felt way hotter than the thermometer read, that's for sure.  Your attitude is great though...you will rock it next year for sure!

2011-07-26 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3615129

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

Monty - 2011-07-26 10:21 AM Congrats to everyone out there on Sunday....it was awesome to watch from the volunteer side this time! You got my juices going and I couldn't wait to sign up again for next year! Who else is in for 2012?

I'm in; I felt the same way I volunteered the entire day.  I was able to help the first racer and the very last racer that day.  It was very inspiring.   

I do have two questions already about next year.  For the ones that just went through it or have gone through it.  For the Hotels most of them are 5 day minimum did you decide to get there early and leave the day after or did you come later and then end up staying a day or two later.  I wasn’t sure if there was any benefit of getting there early for doing some recon work about the course or did you just take it easy while you were there.  For those that did the Tri camps in LP, did you find them beneficial? 

2011-07-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3615820

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
JMoney - 2011-07-26 4:47 PM

Monty - 2011-07-26 10:21 AM Congrats to everyone out there on Sunday....it was awesome to watch from the volunteer side this time! You got my juices going and I couldn't wait to sign up again for next year! Who else is in for 2012?

I'm in; I felt the same way I volunteered the entire day.  I was able to help the first racer and the very last racer that day.  It was very inspiring.   

I do have two questions already about next year.  For the ones that just went through it or have gone through it.  For the Hotels most of them are 5 day minimum did you decide to get there early and leave the day after or did you come later and then end up staying a day or two later.  I wasn’t sure if there was any benefit of getting there early for doing some recon work about the course or did you just take it easy while you were there.  For those that did the Tri camps in LP, did you find them beneficial? 

Thanks for volunteering.  You guys were AWESOME!  Total selflessness, kindness, and uplifting spirits from the volunteer crew made my day.

To answer your questions from my perspective:

I got up here Wed and leave tomorrow...I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE.  If I could do it again I would stay Thurs-thurs because I was a grump to my family before the race, but now I am more relaxed than I have ever been.  It's empty up here today and you can park anywhere and there are no lines, unlike the other days.  But I'm here with my 3 little kids and it's a vacation, so your situation may be different.

As far as camps go...YES.  I came up 6 weeks ago and rode the course twice.  One day was sunny and one day was raining.  By race day I felt like i knew the course well and the Keene descent did not look nearly as steep, and neither did the hills coming back to town.  I also ran one loop of the run, which was really helpful in mentally preparing and on race day.  I did the Endurance Nation camp which was free...the coach KQ'd this year and he really knows the course like the back of his hand.  Highly recommended.

2011-07-26 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3614537

User image

Regular
NYC
mogulbumm - 2011-07-25 10:34 PMWhat an awesome day! I'm so happy to have found the support of this group!

I had a rough day... Gashed my big toe pretty bad on the way to bike transition - saw my family and stepped over to give my girls a kiss not realizing that section had a drop off. Started out great on the bike, blew up my knee, and did the Ironman shuffle the entire marathon with help from a running partner I picked up on mile 7 (some serious motivation boost there... we kept pushing each other). And I loved every minute of it!

I was so out of it, I didn't realize I ran past Jerry in the last quarter mile. He was only 7 seconds behind me on the finish..I'm guessing at that point we both just wanted to break the hour mark lol.

In all, I'm feeling pretty great today though walking a bit gingerly with a few blisters and tired legs. What a great day, phenomenal volunteers, and a great group of people to share the experience with. Congrats BT peeps!

Hey Brett, we talked out on River Rd. I was with you and your running partner when we decided that 15 hrs was still within reach. You two would shuffle past me and then I'd shuffle past you... Thanks for the motivation at the loneliest part of the day!
2011-07-26 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3614537

User image

Regular
NYC
mogulbumm - 2011-07-25 10:34 PMWhat an awesome day! I'm so happy to have found the support of this group!

I had a rough day... Gashed my big toe pretty bad on the way to bike transition - saw my family and stepped over to give my girls a kiss not realizing that section had a drop off. Started out great on the bike, blew up my knee, and did the Ironman shuffle the entire marathon with help from a running partner I picked up on mile 7 (some serious motivation boost there... we kept pushing each other). And I loved every minute of it!

I was so out of it, I didn't realize I ran past Jerry in the last quarter mile. He was only 7 seconds behind me on the finish..I'm guessing at that point we both just wanted to break the hour mark lol.

In all, I'm feeling pretty great today though walking a bit gingerly with a few blisters and tired legs. What a great day, phenomenal volunteers, and a great group of people to share the experience with. Congrats BT peeps!

Hey Brett, we talked out on River Rd. I was with you and your running partner when we decided that 15 hrs was still within reach. You two would shuffle past me and then I'd shuffle past you... Thanks for the motivation at the loneliest part of the day!
2011-07-26 6:53 PM

User image

John I'm so sorry to hear about your day....you have an amazing attitude and I look forward to you kicking it next year.

Jerry, you have to change your username from "ironwannabe" , you ironman you Wink

Rusty!! Beyond rockstar for kicking it after the crash. So awesome you and your wife are doing it next year.  Aw crikey, I wish I was doing it next year (of course before the race I was like "one and done") ...  I don't think I can because of family stuff I forsee over the next year (ill family member)... I don't think I can swing it (what a joint family effort this thing has to be)... almost wish I hadn't had so darn much fun  

2011-07-26 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Silver Spring, Maryland

Had a great day, loved every minute of the race.

Anyone else think the mass swim was a blast? I was a little worried about it, but thought it was maybe the best part of the day.

Goal time of 13 to 14 hours and finished in just under 12:46.

Stayed in town at the Mirror Lake Inn, a little expensive, but worth every penny.

2011-07-26 8:39 PM

Veteran

Thought it was cool to watch the 2011 swim start knowing I was in it after having watched so many other LP swim start videos before the race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnqJEwXR0v8

Enjoy!

2011-07-26 8:43 PM

User image

Elite
I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

You might not have recognized me...I was one of the pairs of bananas on Papa Bear.  So much fun. Laughing

Congratulations new and repeat ironpeeps!! 
2011-07-26 8:55 PM

Regular
Annapolis, MD

Hey all, just catching up on the short reports.  For those that didn't have the race they envisioned, don't let it define you.  The distance is not one to easily figure out and S#$T happens sometimes (i.e bike accidents).  Also, it was dry out there and the sun definitely contributed to the dehydration issues.  There will be other races to come back and apply the lessons learned. 

For those that did have a good race, congrats all around. 

My goal post accident was to just finish as I didn't know how the hands would respond.  I remained conservative on the descent to Keene and made it to the run in decent shape.  However, after a pretty good first half-marathon (roughly a 8:27 mile pace) I dehyrated to the point of having dark colored urine.  At that point I was only drinking cola and chocalate gels.  Scared me pretty good...thought of DNFing right there.  I decided to walk some and only take in water for the rest of the race.  After a couple of aid stations stops the pee started to clear up so at that point I decided to start running again.  Finished and immediately went to the medical tent to report my condition.  They said I was ok and to start pushing the fluids.  After a couple of hours I was feeling much better and pee was back to normal.  Also I forgot the sunscreen on the bike and now have a tri geek burn all over back.  This likely contributed to my dehydration as well.  Lesson learned from this:  even on a "cool" day the sun can quickly dry you out.  I have IM-AZ later this year so I feel fortunate to get the education in now.

Overall I finished at 11:23, just 23 minutes over my pre-accident goal of 11 hrs.  Honestly, after the past five weeks that I had, I felt blessed just to be up at LP and toeing the line with everyone.  Anything that I accomplished after that was just gravy on top.

Best wishes to everyone in your future races,

Jeff

2011-07-26 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3616173

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 9:43 PM

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

You might not have recognized me...I was one of the pairs of bananas on Papa Bear.  So much fun. Laughing

YOU GUYS WERE AWESOME... I had a BT top on during the bike.
2011-07-26 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3616187

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
tripadigin - 2011-07-26 9:55 PM

Hey all, just catching up on the short reports.  For those that didn't have the race they envisioned, don't let it define you.  The distance is not one to easily figure out and S#$T happens sometimes (i.e bike accidents).  Also, it was dry out there and the sun definitely contributed to the dehydration issues.  There will be other races to come back and apply the lessons learned. 

For those that did have a good race, congrats all around. 

My goal post accident was to just finish as I didn't know how the hands would respond.  I remained conservative on the descent to Keene and made it to the run in decent shape.  However, after a pretty good first half-marathon (roughly a 8:27 mile pace) I dehyrated to the point of having dark colored urine.  At that point I was only drinking cola and chocalate gels.  Scared me pretty good...thought of DNFing right there.  I decided to walk some and only take in water for the rest of the race.  After a couple of aid stations stops the pee started to clear up so at that point I decided to start running again.  Finished and immediately went to the medical tent to report my condition.  They said I was ok and to start pushing the fluids.  After a couple of hours I was feeling much better and pee was back to normal.  Also I forgot the sunscreen on the bike and now have a tri geek burn all over back.  This likely contributed to my dehydration as well.  Lesson learned from this:  even on a "cool" day the sun can quickly dry you out.  I have IM-AZ later this year so I feel fortunate to get the education in now.

Overall I finished at 11:23, just 23 minutes over my pre-accident goal of 11 hrs.  Honestly, after the past five weeks that I had, I felt blessed just to be up at LP and toeing the line with everyone.  Anything that I accomplished after that was just gravy on top.

Best wishes to everyone in your future races,

Jeff

Sorry if I slowed you down in T1 (tent) introducing myself :P Great job battling back and still bringing in a solid time. Congrats to you!

2011-07-26 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3616221

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
glazebal - 2011-07-26 10:28 PM
turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 9:43 PMI'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

Not sure if you remember, but I rode with you for a little while. Great job!
2011-07-26 9:51 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
I can't believe I'm actually typing this... MY IRON MAN LAKE PLACID RACE REPORT IS UP:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262467
2011-07-26 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3615966

User image

Veteran
Boston
ironwannabe - 2011-07-26 6:31 PM

I was not sure how I was going to finish that run. My knee was killing me, but when you shuffled by and said that we can break 15 I checked my watch and knew we could do it. Thanks for your motivation as well! You, my friend, need to change your screen name now since you ARE an Ironman!

2011-07-27 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3616242

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
mscotthall - 2011-07-26 10:50 PM

glazebal - 2011-07-26 10:28 PM
turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 9:43 PMI'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

Not sure if you remember, but I rode with you for a little while. Great job!

If I remember it correctly, that was on 86 before hitting the cherries and bears?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112