General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-07-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3616229

Regular
Annapolis, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
glazebal - 2011-07-26 10:32 PM
tripadigin - 2011-07-26 9:55 PM

Hey all, just catching up on the short reports.  For those that didn't have the race they envisioned, don't let it define you.  The distance is not one to easily figure out and S#$T happens sometimes (i.e bike accidents).  Also, it was dry out there and the sun definitely contributed to the dehydration issues.  There will be other races to come back and apply the lessons learned. 

For those that did have a good race, congrats all around. 

My goal post accident was to just finish as I didn't know how the hands would respond.  I remained conservative on the descent to Keene and made it to the run in decent shape.  However, after a pretty good first half-marathon (roughly a 8:27 mile pace) I dehyrated to the point of having dark colored urine.  At that point I was only drinking cola and chocalate gels.  Scared me pretty good...thought of DNFing right there.  I decided to walk some and only take in water for the rest of the race.  After a couple of aid stations stops the pee started to clear up so at that point I decided to start running again.  Finished and immediately went to the medical tent to report my condition.  They said I was ok and to start pushing the fluids.  After a couple of hours I was feeling much better and pee was back to normal.  Also I forgot the sunscreen on the bike and now have a tri geek burn all over back.  This likely contributed to my dehydration as well.  Lesson learned from this:  even on a "cool" day the sun can quickly dry you out.  I have IM-AZ later this year so I feel fortunate to get the education in now.

Overall I finished at 11:23, just 23 minutes over my pre-accident goal of 11 hrs.  Honestly, after the past five weeks that I had, I felt blessed just to be up at LP and toeing the line with everyone.  Anything that I accomplished after that was just gravy on top.

Best wishes to everyone in your future races,

Jeff

Sorry if I slowed you down in T1 (tent) introducing myself :P Great job battling back and still bringing in a solid time. Congrats to you!

You didn't slow me down at all...good to meet you in T1, even if it was in the heat of battle.  Actually wish I slowed down and stayed for the suncreen appliers

2011-07-27 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3616173

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 9:43 PM I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

You might not have recognized me...I was one of the pairs of bananas on Papa Bear.  So much fun. Laughing

Congratulations new and repeat ironpeeps!! 

You guys were great. Thanks for the support! I was disappointed when you weren't there on my second loop though, guess I need to be faster

2011-07-27 8:15 AM

User image

Regular

turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 8:43 PM I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

You might not have recognized me...I was one of the pairs of bananas on Papa Bear.  So much fun. Laughing

thank you!! i loved seeing dancing bananas!!! i was the girl  with pink helmet and blue kswiss outfit!! loved it made me laugh all the way up the hill!!

2011-07-27 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

Is there a way to get video of my finish?

2011-07-27 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston

turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 9:43 PM I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

You guys totally cracked me up.  You were dancing to "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" when I came by.  You also made it to YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ulJ6S0HiU

2011-07-27 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
Great! I'm so glad.  We were super heroes last year on the run and decided we needed to up the ante on Papa Bear.

But it was tiring, man.  I think I'd have been less tired doing the IM!  Congratulations guys!

2011-07-27 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
2011-07-27 12:15 PM

User image

Champion

turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 7:43 PM I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

Yay for dancing bananas! Awesome!

2011-07-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3615857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
gergzos - 2011-07-26 5:13 PM

JMoney - 2011-07-26 4:47 PM

Monty - 2011-07-26 10:21 AM Congrats to everyone out there on Sunday....it was awesome to watch from the volunteer side this time! You got my juices going and I couldn't wait to sign up again for next year! Who else is in for 2012?

I'm in; I felt the same way I volunteered the entire day.  I was able to help the first racer and the very last racer that day.  It was very inspiring.   

I do have two questions already about next year.  For the ones that just went through it or have gone through it.  For the Hotels most of them are 5 day minimum did you decide to get there early and leave the day after or did you come later and then end up staying a day or two later.  I wasn’t sure if there was any benefit of getting there early for doing some recon work about the course or did you just take it easy while you were there.  For those that did the Tri camps in LP, did you find them beneficial? 

Thanks for volunteering.  You guys were AWESOME!  Total selflessness, kindness, and uplifting spirits from the volunteer crew made my day.

To answer your questions from my perspective:

I got up here Wed and leave tomorrow...I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE.  If I could do it again I would stay Thurs-thurs because I was a grump to my family before the race, but now I am more relaxed than I have ever been.  It's empty up here today and you can park anywhere and there are no lines, unlike the other days.  But I'm here with my 3 little kids and it's a vacation, so your situation may be different.

As far as camps go...YES.  I came up 6 weeks ago and rode the course twice.  One day was sunny and one day was raining.  By race day I felt like i knew the course well and the Keene descent did not look nearly as steep, and neither did the hills coming back to town.  I also ran one loop of the run, which was really helpful in mentally preparing and on race day.  I did the Endurance Nation camp which was free...the coach KQ'd this year and he really knows the course like the back of his hand.  Highly recommended.

My opinion is the Thursday to Thursday option as well. The days after are a blast and I enjoyed them with the family.
2011-07-27 2:14 PM

User image

Here's mine   Now off to read everyone elses!!

Ironman Lake Placid 2011 Race Report

2011-07-27 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
For all you who raced on Sunday, here is a little souvenier for you! Was fun to watch it from this side of the camera for a change!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mrjmic91?feature=mhsn#p/a/u/0/67FKS20Uj...

2011-07-27 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3616492

User image

6226chels - 2011-07-27 8:15 AM

turtlegirl - 2011-07-26 8:43 PM I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you in person, but I did cheer for the BT jerseys!

thank you!! i loved seeing dancing bananas!!! i was the girl  with pink helmet and blue kswiss outfit!! loved it made me laugh all the way up the hill!!

OMG Chelsey I just figured something out from your Blue Swiss outfit!!! Remember the weirdo nutjob girl in the full sunshirt that rode with you the second half of bike loop and was saying "Go Chelsey, Go Chelsey"...... yep that's ME!!!!!! Great riding with you Kiss

2011-07-27 8:12 PM

User image

RACE PHOTOS ARE UP!! 

hmmmm... when should I cut this wristband off
2011-07-27 9:25 PM

User image

Lafayette, Indiana

From the "other" site, for all of you that enjoy playing with the numbers:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/enhancedresults/

Congrats to all! It was an amazing day.

2011-07-28 1:29 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

My race report.

I warn you, its very long, and doesn't have a happy ending.

2011-07-28 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3617970

User image

Regular
kr140.6 - 2011-07-27 8:11 PM
6226chels - 2011-07-27 8:15 AM

OMG Chelsey I just figured something out from your Blue Swiss outfit!!! Remember the weirdo nutjob girl in the full sunshirt that rode with you the second half of bike loop and was saying "Go Chelsey, Go Chelsey"...... yep that's ME!!!!!! Great riding with you Kiss

yay hi you!!! nice job on the run you kicked my butt!!!!

2011-07-28 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Though i didn't meet ANY of you face to face..CONGRATS on conquering IM LP. !!
You may have seen C2fds base camp out at mile 100 on the bike course..
muscle man (!) .....would attach a pix if I knew how!
had a BT sign out there with all the BTer #s & names I knew from this thread  & we stayed out there til the course closed..

Swim start-Bike course-the endless hills, awesome scenery & descents,that killer hill on the run- the lonely run turn around on River Rd..finishing in the oval..quite a venue & quite a race-
humbling & inspiring

Congrats IRONMEN!!!

2011-07-28 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3618210

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : drdking
John?
Just read your race report.tho it made me tear up and I feel for your disappointment.
What came thru is your drive to come back and the gratefulness of family, friends & health. No doubts that you will, in fact, have the race you want next time. Regards.

Edited by isis 2011-07-28 9:56 AM
2011-07-28 1:45 PM

Veteran

Hi IMLPeeps - Miss you all already Here's my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262684

Ryan

2011-07-28 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3619308

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
My race report is up. I was going to try to keep it short but failed miserably. It was nice meeting most of you. What an incredible experience and what a beautiful place to become an Ironman.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2011-07-29 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I am dragging my feet on the race report. I don't want the journey to end, but it has. I started triathlon training in 2007 with the express intention of completing an Ironman when I was 50. It's been a long, twisting journey and now that I have achieved that goal I set for myself I feel a bit of a loss. I know I'll keep racing, and may even do another 140.6 race at some point, but am already wondering what my next big goal will be. My wife and I are now focused on buying our first home together so that's a good "team" goal, but I know I need some sort of individual challenge. I tease the people that work for me that I'll now put all my energy and focus on work, but I've never been really career driven. I'm a Senior Manager now and could set a goal to become a Director but that doesn't excite me or inspire  the way Ironman has. So much open road ahead, and I plan to enjoy just cruising around for a while, but I know I work best when I have a definite destination in mind. Here's to the future!

2011-07-29 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3620393

User image

mrbbrad - 2011-07-29 10:20 AM I am dragging my feet on the race report. I don't want the journey to end, but it has. I started triathlon training in 2007 with the express intention of completing an Ironman when I was 50. It's been a long, twisting journey and now that I have achieved that goal I set for myself I feel a bit of a loss. I know I'll keep racing, and may even do another 140.6 race at some point, but am already wondering what my next big goal will be. My wife and I are now focused on buying our first home together so that's a good "team" goal, but I know I need some sort of individual challenge. I tease the people that work for me that I'll now put all my energy and focus on work, but I've never been really career driven. I'm a Senior Manager now and could set a goal to become a Director but that doesn't excite me or inspire  the way Ironman has. So much open road ahead, and I plan to enjoy just cruising around for a while, but I know I work best when I have a definite destination in mind. Here's to the future!

I've followed a couple of Ironman discussion groups post race, so I was well aware of the Ironman post-blues, which is why I signed up for an October 70.3 and the Philadelphia Marathon earlier this year.  My new 'goal' and personal challenge is to run the Boston Marathon.  I also signed up for Ironman LP 2012.  Yeah, it's all crazy goals and it is expensive and time-consuming -- but much like you, my job does little, if nothing to motivate me.  Money and career is nice (I guess), but it's just window dressing for me.  Probably cause my job does not involve helping anyone or contributing to society, it just involves making money which is pretty damn shallow, IMO.  Training for Ironmans and Marathons is what fulfills me spritiually and so that's what I am going to continue to do.  Here's to a future of endurance sport!!
2011-07-29 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3620393

User image

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
mrbbrad - 2011-07-29 10:20 AM

I am dragging my feet on the race report. I don't want the journey to end, but it has. I started triathlon training in 2007 with the express intention of completing an Ironman when I was 50. It's been a long, twisting journey and now that I have achieved that goal I set for myself I feel a bit of a loss. I know I'll keep racing, and may even do another 140.6 race at some point, but am already wondering what my next big goal will be. My wife and I are now focused on buying our first home together so that's a good "team" goal, but I know I need some sort of individual challenge. I tease the people that work for me that I'll now put all my energy and focus on work, but I've never been really career driven. I'm a Senior Manager now and could set a goal to become a Director but that doesn't excite me or inspire  the way Ironman has. So much open road ahead, and I plan to enjoy just cruising around for a while, but I know I work best when I have a definite destination in mind. Here's to the future!

Most people go through a "post Ironman depression." I've already set a goal to get faster in sprint and olympic distance races. It's more my distance anyways, aka bigger guy. Hope you can find a goal and go at it to replace the "loss" feeling.
2011-07-29 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3620427

Dream Chaser - 2011-07-29 10:35 AM
mrbbrad - 2011-07-29 10:20 AM I am dragging my feet on the race report. I don't want the journey to end, but it has. I started triathlon training in 2007 with the express intention of completing an Ironman when I was 50. It's been a long, twisting journey and now that I have achieved that goal I set for myself I feel a bit of a loss. I know I'll keep racing, and may even do another 140.6 race at some point, but am already wondering what my next big goal will be. My wife and I are now focused on buying our first home together so that's a good "team" goal, but I know I need some sort of individual challenge. I tease the people that work for me that I'll now put all my energy and focus on work, but I've never been really career driven. I'm a Senior Manager now and could set a goal to become a Director but that doesn't excite me or inspire  the way Ironman has. So much open road ahead, and I plan to enjoy just cruising around for a while, but I know I work best when I have a definite destination in mind. Here's to the future!

I've followed a couple of Ironman discussion groups post race, so I was well aware of the Ironman post-blues, which is why I signed up for an October 70.3 and the Philadelphia Marathon earlier this year.  My new 'goal' and personal challenge is to run the Boston Marathon.  I also signed up for Ironman LP 2012.  Yeah, it's all crazy goals and it is expensive and time-consuming -- but much like you, my job does little, if nothing to motivate me.  Money and career is nice (I guess), but it's just window dressing for me.  Probably cause my job does not involve helping anyone or contributing to society, it just involves making money which is pretty damn shallow, IMO.  Training for Ironmans and Marathons is what fulfills me spritiually and so that's what I am going to continue to do.  Here's to a future of endurance sport!!

We are following a somewhat similiar path.  After placid, which was my first IM, I am now ready to focus on BQ'ing.  I have no idea how long it will take but Placid made me think it is closer than I originally thought.  I'm running the Philly in November again.  I ran 4:19 in my first marathon (the philly) in november and just ran a 4:10 @ Placid to finish in 11:47.  I still cant get over how excited I am with that progress.  Although I do question whether I messed up my pacing and should have started skipping aid stations starting mile 19 when I was feeling "decent."  However, I am really frustrated as to how much I enjoyed the IM haha...because now I'm hooked and will have to do another at some point. 

Question for your vets out there:  Does spending some time focusing on running till I get my marathon time sub 3 hours make sense before returning to IM?  I want to return to IM when I know I can comfortably go sub 11, maybe sub 10:45 (comfortably)  Thoughts on spending the next 6-7 months working almost exclusively on running?  I didn't know if the loss in bike fitness/swim fitness would cost me too much when I decide to return to IM.

My race report will be in the works soon and I am enjoying reading others.  Keep em coming

2011-07-29 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3620427

User image

Veteran
Boston

Dream Chaser - 2011-07-29 10:35 AM

Ditto!  There is something just fulfilling about training for such a goal and experiencing the pleasure (and pain) of achieving it.  What next???  I told my wife that I need to sell the company so I can just train and have fun.  I don't need to be rich... just enough to buy the toys  and train

This was such a huge achivement for me, mostly because I couldn't even run a 5K last year, so I've got LOTS of room to improve and goals to meet!  I'm running the Boston half marathon in October and really need to start working on my run.  I'd love to BQ, but I think the times for my AG are 7:39 minute miles or faster now.  It will take me a while to get there, but I'm on it!

My race report will probably be posted tonight or tomorrow.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112