Ironhead Race Productions
104F / 40C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m 39s
Overall Rank = 115/150
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/17
Pre-race routine:

I got up early and had a cliff bar and a banana and had a few bottles of water.
Event warmup:

I had a chance to get in and do a short warm up on the swim and then was asked to leave tha water.
Swim
  • 43m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started a little bad with a kick in the boys but I recoverd fast and took off. My sighting was really bad this race but not really to bad. I did run into traffic a bit and was hard to get around people but I think it was a good overall swim. I did swallow some of the great lake water and maybe that would hurt me later in the race but you never know. I was a little thirsty on the swim but it may not have been good to drink that water.
What would you do differently?:

site better
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

I was taking it easy here and the time really showed it, I just wanted to make sure that I had everything that I needed.
Bike
  • 3h 02m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

I have never had a time like this in any race but I really was making sure that every thing was in order for a hot run. I did get the sun block on and made sure my shoes were ok and I had all my gews and my water bottle ond off I went/
Run
  • 3h 37m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the first time I have been to this point in a HIM so I really do not have allot to compare to. But I can tell you that it was f...ing hot as hell out there and I thought that I would never see the finish line. Ok so as I left transition I felt a little cramp in my stomach and I thought that it would be ok, but I was wrong. I tried to get up to pace but everytime I did I would get that same cramp. So I slowed down and had to come to a walk to get it to stop. At mile 2-3 I had to puke some to get the cramps out and it worked for a while. Then they came back and had to puke one more time at mile 5-6. That really made me feel better and I did pick up the pace. That did not last long before the cramps in the legs started and I new then that it was walk then run till I cramp and then walk again. This was a very hot run and I have to say that I really would not like to do that again but we all know that we say that know and do different later...lol... So the run walk worked good for me but as you see the time it took me, it was a vey slow walk and had to do that to stop the cramps. I was really happy to see the finish line and I am really excited that I finally finished my first HIM.
What would you do differently?:

drink more and run in the shade:)
Post race
Warm down:

As I crossed the finish line I was helped to what they called a Med tent and it was 3 cots and a few people telling me to relaxe. I was like what are you talking about I cant get the cramps out how can I relaxe...lol... they did ice me down and it did help after about 30min I got up and tried to walk it out but still had a few cramps. There was no food left and all they had was gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat and hydration

Event comments:

My mind set going in to this race was really good and I was not going to give up no matter what happend unless they put me on a stretcher. It was very hot and there was about a 20% DNF on this course and after all I went threw on my last race I had something to prove to my self that I could make it no matter the conditions. I do not think that in my mind there was one part of me that thought that I was going to give up and stop. I pushed on and was as strong as my body let me be. I know that I could have done things a little different but we learn and we move on and try to improve on the next race. I can tell you that I am happy as can be that I did this race and finished my first HIM even though the very hot conditions that we had. So I say congrats to every one that did this race.

Last updated: 2010-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:15 | 2112 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: triangle course that may have been a bit to long but not by much
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:02:00 | 56 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/17
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: the 4 loop course was good for me and I really enjoyed it. I found it to be better than an out and back due to the fact it made it seem alot shorter than a 56 mile ride. There was a few hill but not really bad and for me to maintain that pace I was really happy on the bike. The new bike I was on really felt great and I did not have issues like I did on the road bike. So I really felt nice and smooth on the bike and I think that it showed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:37:53 | 13.1 miles | 16m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/17
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back on a dam hot dam.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 5:07 PM

User image

New user
Subject: PrairieMan Half Iron Triathlon

2010-09-15 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3098625

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: PrairieMan Half Iron Triathlon
Awesome job toughing it out in brutal conditions! This mindset and experience will help you immensely come IM Woody
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PrairieMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed