General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Law School and Tri Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-14 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: Law School and Tri Training
I was just curious if there's anybody out there who has done or is doing tri training while in law school.

I've been having some serious difficulties getting my workouts in since the semester started a few weeks ago.  I'm a 2L, so it's the "work you to death" year, as they say!  And I feel it!  Mondays through Thursdays are 12-14 hour days, not including school work I need to get done, which usually adds up to at least another 2-3 hours.  I have some short breaks in between work and classes, but nothing significant enough to get a workout in.  Fridays are only 9 hour days, but lately my boss has been asking me to work late.  I rarely see my husband, too.  I'm hoping I can get a little ahead on weekends so I can start getting a few rides in on the trainer on weekdays and two runs in on weekends.  It's not a lot, but I don't know if there's anything else I can do.

I was hoping somebody had some good advice for how to handle it all and how they did it!  Thanks!

2010-09-14 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3098848

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Law School and Tri Training
I didn't train while at law school, but I did train while in a condensed MAT program last year.  Student teaching full time all year, and classes to boot.  It is really hard finding the time.  I used my runs to decompress from the stress.  While time was minnimal, I made time to run, even if it was only for a short time.
I was training for a Duathlon so I didn't swim.
As far as biking, there is a book mount for your handelbars, I don't remember what my was (lost it in a move recently) but you can google them.  I just did my reading while I was on the trainer.  This isn't the most ideal of situations, but it can kill two birds with one stone, and takes the mind off of the fact that you are riding in place. 

I found during my MAT program that taking even 30-45 minutes to work out helped me mentally.  Good luck with both training and Law School.  I hope you find time in your schedule to do at least a little training.
2010-09-14 8:11 PM

User image

New user
Columbus
When I was in law school I had plenty of free time. And my grades were good too. But then I was only in law school.You are working, have a family, taking classes... If you can fit a meal in there somewhere I'd be impressed. Oh, and 2L isn't as bad as they say.... Now you know what is important to know for the final. Skip whatever reading you can and replace it with the note cases in the casebook. That's where profs get their hypos from for the exams a lot of the time. Oh, and kaplan's "finals" series was the reason I got As in most of my 1L courses (except civ pro....Christ I hated that class). Get it. It will save you enormous amounts of time near finals.
2010-09-15 5:17 AM
in reply to: #3098876

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Klaussprecht - 2010-09-14 8:00 PM
As far as biking, there is a book mount for your handelbars, I don't remember what my was (lost it in a move recently) but you can google them.  I just did my reading while I was on the trainer.  This isn't the most ideal of situations, but it can kill two birds with one stone, and takes the mind off of the fact that you are riding in place. 
QUOTE]

I've been begging the hubby to make one!  I think this is a great idea, only problem is I need my laptop most times too, so I want a flat surface to work on. 

Thanks! 

Eventually the gym at school will open, and maybe I can squeeze in a workout on days I have 45 minutes between class and work, so maybe a few miles or so.  I just need time to shower and look nice because I doubt my boss would appreciate me coming in all sweaty!  I'm so impressed by people who workout on their lunchbreaks!
2010-09-15 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3098876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Klaussprecht - 2010-09-14 9:00 PM ... I used my runs to decompress from the stress.  While time was minnimal, I made time to run, even if it was only for a short time.

^^^ This.

After 1L I switched to night school and worked full time, so I know how you feel about no time.  TV should not be a part of your life at this time (except when with family), it's a time waster.  Exercise is a much more effective stress reliever.

If you don't have a trainer, get one and read while biking (or running on treadmill).  Pick up a Spinervals Timesaver DVD or 3 for those times you can't read a book anymore.  Possibly hit the campus pool (or local Y) during lunch?

Commit to your training by writing it into your schedule.  My scheduled daily jog was the only thing that kept me sane studying for the bar.

Good luck!

ETA -- Remember, even 20 minutes is better than nothing.

Edited by windandsurf 2010-09-15 9:02 AM
2010-09-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3099532

User image

New Haven, CT
wait untill you start practicing  

2010-09-15 9:31 AM

User image

I am currently in my third year, and I've trained consistently (though not for tris until this summer) throughout school.  I have worked and been married throughout school, too, so I feel you on the delicate schedule balancing.

I agree with the above poster who said that TV is a time waster.  I now only have one "regular" show and it comes on during the summer.

You might hate this, but I find that getting up early is the only way to be really consistent.  I get up at 5 or 5:30 every day.  Doing that also helps because I can stay late at work if I need to.  The key to getting up early in my mind is doing it every single day -- even on the weekends.  I get up at 6 or 7 on the weekends.  Going to bed early helps, too, obviously.  I try to be in bed at 10, even if I'm still reading for a bit.

Another thing that helped me was working ahead on the weekends.  I would do almost all of my reading for the entire week on the weekends.  That sucked, but it was worth it.  If you can at least do all of the reading for 1-2 classes on the weekends, it'll be a major help.  I second what a previous poster said about only reading what's necessary.  If I got called on in class, I wouldn't read anything more than casebriefs (if that) for the next 3 weeks.  Most of my profs test more over what happens in class than what is in the casebook, so I just take really detailed notes.

If you add in moot court or law review, you have to just cram everything in when you can.  Even doing 20 minutes of school/law review work over your lunch break will help free up more time for fun stuff.  It's hard, but you just have to be efficient and focused with almost all of your time to fit everything in.

Also, it will get MUCH better next year.  I had recently had the realization that my grades don't matter at all this year, so I've been training as much as possible, reading fun books, and generally living it up for the last year before real life starts   GOOD LUCK!
2010-09-15 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I had time to train in one sport: swimming. But I can't imagine training in 3 unless you are in a simple maintenance mode

2010-09-15 5:02 PM

User image

Jackson, MS
Not in law school, but I'm a surgery resident.  I use "off" days when I'm overnight call and do my swim drills when I'm exhausted and post call.  Have two long days on Sat and Sun. 

Agree with studying while on the bike.  I've found that I can study on the treadmill, but only outline form or slides.  Paragraphs are too tough for me. 

When I was in med school, I'd put lectures on my iPod for my runs.  Honestly, I learned a LOT that way, plus got in some nice long runs.
2010-09-15 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3100891

User image

Oh!  The lectures on the iPod is a great thing that I forgot to mention.  Some of my profs record their lectures and put the mp3s online, and others don't mind if students record their classes for study purposes.
2010-09-15 6:30 PM

I'm a 3L, married, and have a now 16mo old son (born halfway through 1L final exams!).

I definately support reading and studying on the bike... I studied all last year using this method.  Sometimes you also just gotta HTFU and wake up early to find the time.  I also try to schedule my races to avoid the period one month before my final exams so if things get too crazy I can always cut back on my workouts (generally only the long rides/runs that cause this conflict).

When you refer to "work" are you referring to employment, or to school work?  I've found that out of four things, 1) family; 2) school; 3) employment; 4) sports I can only do 3/4 well.  As wifey works, I'm lucky to not need to work... can you cut out one of them if concievable?

2010-09-15 6:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-15 6:43 PM

I trained while I was in business school.  I had to juggle my MBA, family, kid, work, etc.  The only way that I was able to make it work was by commuting to work on my bike.  For the run and swim, I tried to do 1-2 nights/week during the week and 1 day on weekends. 

It's hard and I almost never had more than 1 hour so it was quick, hard, interval training. 
2010-09-15 6:47 PM

Champion

I think you just have to be reasonable with what time you do have to train a week. If you are expecting to be able to get in 10+ hrs a week with all the commitments you have, I think you are just setting yourself up for disapointment (and if you are like me you then go into a death spiral of guilt associated with not being able to meet your training volume/time targets of the week/month). If you only have a short amount of time right now per week then make the most of it and if you can get a good weekend in somewhere, then great.

I'm in 2nd year medicine and will be doing IMLP next summer and I know of people in 3/4th year who have done up to half iron distance...but we do not have the same level of commitments outside of our education as you. I know for a fact that I will not be able to train for an IM during my 3/4th year and will just take it as it comes I suppose. I imagine residency with be a completely different matter. I'm not sure what distance you are looking towards or if you are just training to train vs. race, but regardless, don't set yourself up for disapointment. While right now I'm not crazy busy like others, I still have to work really hard to make sure I am organized. I hardly watch TV anymore, I plan meals on the weekend and make enough lunch to last the week, etc.

Just my $0.02 and personal experience.

Edited by mndymond 2010-09-15 6:53 PM
2010-09-15 7:31 PM

Veteran
It can be done, but it needs to be a secondary or tertiary priority.  Don't even bother doing anything but maintain during finals.
2010-09-15 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3101088

Regular
Seattle, WA
I find it pretty easy to train, but I don't have any other commitments.

I also have a schedule very conducive to training. For swimming, I do morning lap swim before my 8:30 and 9:00 classes 3x a week, and a longer workout in the afternoon during the weekend. I have a 2.5 hour break on the two days I have multiple classes, and I can squeeze my runs in. Biking is trickier, but I get out of class at 10:30 on TTh, and have no Friday classes, so I can knock my week rides out before 1PM on those days, and hit the books for the next 6-7 hours, and get a run in in the evening. 

Lots of scheduling details, but point being, its possible to balance relatively intense training with law school. And yeah, I do have solid grades  

2010-09-15 8:30 PM

New user

i'm planning to take up masters or law school in a few days time. with all the things i've read on this thread, i guess i have to lay out a training schedule and make it a routine before i get to school so i won;t be surprised.

thanks for all the tips

Edited by leopluredon 2010-09-15 8:31 PM
2010-09-15 9:08 PM

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Cant help with the law school, but I'm in my third year of medical school and I can tell you it's do-able, but like anything else it has to be a priority and you have to be willing to work for it.

Good luck!

2010-09-15 9:23 PM

Veteran
Wow..I have 3 boys & work part- time..after reading through this thread..I am never going to complain that I am tired!!
Kudos to all of you!! 

Patti
2010-09-15 10:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Training as a student?  No problem.  Training as a student with a job and a husband?  Harder, but doable.  BUT -- it depends on what you are training for.  Getting in 2 hours a day can be pretty hard, unless you don't need much sleep.  

I am a practicing attorney now, and I have two kids, a house, a dog, etc., etc.  I never thought I had time to exercise, and I still struggle, but I managed to go from couch to sprint in 6 mos despite all the crazy in my life.  I will say this:  I wish I had figured it out sooner (like when I was in law school and had more time, though I wasn't working then as you seem to be) so that I wasn't trying to build habits this late in life.  Early mornings are key.  Become an early bird. and you will be much, much better off.

Others have given excellent practical advice.  I will just offer loads of encouragement. 
2010-09-16 6:58 AM

I'm about to start my clinical year of acupuncture school. Its daunting to consider training along side of that. I have to constantly remind myself that I want to be a good practitioner, and THAT is my focus right now. I'll be done with school in January 2012, then I've got lots of time (like the rest of my life) to do triathlon. I also often have lectures and workshops on the weekend, which completely gets in the way of racing!
So, for now, its maintenance on the swim and bike, and working on my run, which definitely needs working on! I listen to lectures on my iPod while on the trainer and I go over formulas in my head while I swim. Nothing like trying to remember Chinese while you're freestlying! Wink

2010-09-16 9:07 AM

Expert
Portland, OR
Wow, thanks for all the responses everybody!  There's a lot of good stuff in here! 

Just a few things:  I'm already waking up at 5am, which is SUPER early considering I don't get home until 10pm, and then I often stay up 'til 11 to get some school work done.  I'm notorious for needing 8 hours of sleep, so the fact that I've been managing on 6, I'm pretty proud of that. 

My hubby gave me permission to buy one of those book stands for my bike so I can read and train.  Only problem is, since I type all my notes, I'm going to have to go back through and do that afterwards.  Maybe he can build me something to hold my laptop, too! 

Can't quit my job, like someone had suggested.  It's really tough to live off just my husband's income when you're trying to save up for the downpayment on a house and trying to support our bike habits.  Plus, I want a treadmill!  It's in the legal field, so it is worth my time anyway. 

The gym is supposed to open up at school in like a month, so I'm hoping then I can get some short workouts during my 45 minute lunch breaks on MW, so I'll only be able to get in like 3 miles, but I guess that's better than nothing.  So I'm thinking if I get those in on MW, maybe I can get bikes in Thursday night, since it's a relatively early night, and Friday after work.  Then the weekends I can get longer workouts in.  I don't know if that'll work though, but I have to try! 

Number ONE though is that if I get all my school work done on the weekends, then I can utilize every bit of free time during the week to workout.

Swims will just have to stay on hold for a while!

Thanks for all the ideas.  It's good to know there are others who have suffered through the same thing.  Sometimes I think I'm just crazy for trying to do it all!
2010-09-16 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3101012

Jackson, MS

Probably so, with the 80 hour work week!  Most days I train before rounds in the morning.  And so far I've only had time to train for the shorter distances.  No way I could do HIM training right now. Oly might even be pushing it.

2010-09-16 10:03 AM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Not Law School, but I trained for my first marathon and tris during my graduate school year, which meant lectures, work placement, actual PAID work, and research trips/field work for my dissertation, and planning my wedding. What I found was that, yes, at times I had to skip a workout to get work done, and I had to be OK with that. But also, I had to plan time to run/work out so that I could come back to my work refreshed and ready to go. It was great for clearing my head or working through writers block.

Prioritizing my physical and mental well being (through training) made me a better student. It gave me awesome time management skills.

Things I did:
- Getting up early. You're already doing this, awesome.
- Bike commuting to get miles in. This was super easy for me because Scotland had bike lanes and I could go super fast. It was awesome. When I moved to my (super nasty, super shady, super far away) apartment during my writing up period, it was the best part of my day. True story. Waterproof bag for the laptop? Check.
- Splitting mileage. If I had a big run day in, I'd often split it into two workouts. Probably not optimal, but if I can squeeze in 4 at lunch and then work for a few more hours and then pound out another 4 in the evening, then awesome. This is great if you've got kids/others dependent on you, it means less extended periods away, but you still have to see if you can do it.
- Reading/listening while on the drainer. I knew a vet student in grad school who would listen to her lectures on one of those cool Ipod pool holders, and would swim her meters with the lectures going.
- Be easy on yourself. Perhaps this is not the year for a huge race or Ironman. Maybe that's after 3L or your bars. Perhaps you blaze the springs and olys this year and then shoot for other goals later, using this training as a base. Give yourself some breaks. Training should be fun, and enjoyable, and refreshing, and if it is neither because you're stressing about its impact on your work/fam/school, then perhaps you could scale back and try something else (hiking, yoga, whatever)
2010-09-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3101739

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

SoccerGK - 2010-09-16 7:07 AM Wow, thanks for all the responses everybody!  There's a lot of good stuff in here! 

Just a few things:  I'm already waking up at 5am, which is SUPER early considering I don't get home until 10pm, and then I often stay up 'til 11 to get some school work done.  I'm notorious for needing 8 hours of sleep, so the fact that I've been managing on 6, I'm pretty proud of that. 

My hubby gave me permission to buy one of those book stands for my bike so I can read and train.  Only problem is, since I type all my notes, I'm going to have to go back through and do that afterwards.  Maybe he can build me something to hold my laptop, too! 

Can't quit my job, like someone had suggested.  It's really tough to live off just my husband's income when you're trying to save up for the downpayment on a house and trying to support our bike habits.  Plus, I want a treadmill!  It's in the legal field, so it is worth my time anyway. 

The gym is supposed to open up at school in like a month, so I'm hoping then I can get some short workouts during my 45 minute lunch breaks on MW, so I'll only be able to get in like 3 miles, but I guess that's better than nothing.  So I'm thinking if I get those in on MW, maybe I can get bikes in Thursday night, since it's a relatively early night, and Friday after work.  Then the weekends I can get longer workouts in.  I don't know if that'll work though, but I have to try! 

Number ONE though is that if I get all my school work done on the weekends, then I can utilize every bit of free time during the week to workout.

Swims will just have to stay on hold for a while!

Thanks for all the ideas.  It's good to know there are others who have suffered through the same thing.  Sometimes I think I'm just crazy for trying to do it all!

I've decided that after reading your posts that I am a lazy slob not worthy of calling myself an athlete.

I just might as well call in sick, lay on the coach, have a pizza delivered and let them foreclose on my house.

I am in complete awe of what you are doing and that of a few of the others offering advice.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Law School and Tri Training Rss Feed  

of 2