86F / 30C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 59m
Overall Rank = /5000
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not much of a routine...
With a midnight start time I found myself not knowing what to do to get ready for this one.
Prior to the race I had good hydration, a couple bars, and stayed off my feet.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up, which is my standard before a marathon. Just some light stretching.
Run
  • 4h 10m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

What happened...The muscles on the insides of my legs, just above my knees (part of my quads) began to catastrophically tighten around the 1/2 marathon point. Over the next 20k it was a constant battle to keep a decent stride. As the race continued, my mobility decreased and my knees actually became sore as my muscles shortened and continued to lock down. I was physically forced to a walk several times in the closing 10-15k of the race.
The good news and "bright side"...I finished, didn't give up, and I'm actually feeling pretty good today (Sunday Morning).
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure what I would do differently, but I need to make sure this never happens again.
A little research would suggest e-caps/salt tablets, more electrolytes, and more to drink
Post race
Warm down:

Stumbling around ad I could not bend my knees and had very little mobility in my legs.
No massage after the race (didn't want to stand in line, and I thought it could do more damage than good).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Quadriceps were on lockdown after the first 21. The longer the race lasted the shorter my quads became and the shorter my stride.

Event comments:

I would do this race again, just need to make some better choices!

Last updated: 2010-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
04:10:00 | 26.2 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/5000
Performance: Bad
First half, I was consistently running 4:45 minutes per kilometer (about 7:40/mile pace). Second half....much, much slower
Course: Out and back course from Changi Exhibition Center to Eastcoast park. 20K in east coast park and 20k on the roads. Aid Stations every 2k. Sometimes longer than 2k...
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %5%
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes