Capri Events
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 57s
Overall Rank = 78/688
Age Group = 25-30
Age Group Rank = 12/69
Pre-race routine:

This was my first mistake. I spent the whole day before the race in the sun building a patio on my house. Instead of resting my dad and I were hauling pavers and about 5 tons of gravel and sand with a wheelbarrow so when I woke up this morning for the race I was already sore.

Ate a power bar and got to the parking lot about 5:50. I was disappointed the shuttle wouldn't let me on with my bike so my wife rode the shuttle and I biked to the race site.
Event warmup:

light jog on beach. Stretching. Bike ride to transition area from the lot, about 2 miles or so.
Swim
  • 09m 21s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Man, crazy chop. Beautiful morning for a swim though. I rounded the corners well, and I felt this went pretty smooth.

Big thing though....the water got really shallow before the beach, so you end up running the last 25 yards in waist deep water, ugh!!! Also, LONG LONG LONG run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Would have swam closer to the shore before standing up.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

What a long run from the swim to the bike racks, this was a killer. I got the suit off okay and into my bike shoes witout much trouble. Ran to the mount line and got going pretty quickly. I need to learn a way to get on the bike quicker though.

Need to work on bike mounts/dismounts.
Bike
  • 36m 55s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I needed to drink more. The almost 100 degree heat was brutal by this point.

Drink more. I felt the bike was strong today.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

I didn't even try to slip my feet on top of the shoes and jump off with the shoes still clipped. I've been practicing it, but don't want to try it in a race yet.

I need to practice my bike mounts/dismounts
Run
  • 31m 36s
  • 3.98 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

My run sucked, I'm disappointed with my performance here. My training runs at this distance were all considerably faster. I'm sure the heat, which was just brutal at this point, was a factor but it can't be all to blame. I need to do more brick workouts.

brick train.
Post race
Warm down:

Standing in front of the guy with the hose for about 5 minutes!!!!! Seriously, this was really lame. My wife and I had to walk with my bike and my big transition duffel the 2 miles back to my car because the shuttle wasn't running yet. It sucked. I think I was more tired from the hump back to my car than from the race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. Lack of training/transition practice.

Event comments:

The volunteers were outstanding, much thanks to them. Thanks also to Waukegan Fire and Police for all the support, they were great as well. I was impressed with the way this race was run, the actual events were very organized and outstanding.

My biggest complaint is the way they handled getting to the actual event. No parking anywhere near the race, no bike drop offs, it sucked. To have to lug a heavy bag and a bike 2 miles in 100 degree heat after running a triathlon is brutal.

It's really a small thing to nitpick though. I had a great time and will do this race again for sure.

Last updated: 2005-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:21 | 800 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 31/688
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: 800 yard loop around the harbor. The water was warm but I decided to wear my wetsuit anyway. I'm glad, it helped with all the choppy conditions.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:55 | 13.05 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Overall: 100/688
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Double loop out and back. The roads were really crappy. Lots of potholes. I saw some wipeouts and flats. Also, lots of water bottles rolling around from people who hit bumps and knocked them out of the cages. The roads were mostly dry although there were some slick spots on the shoulders and low spots from the rain last night.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:36 | 03.98 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 128/688
Performance: Below average
Course: 4 mile out and back. 1 pretty steep climb about 1.5 miles into it.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-24 9:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Subject: Harbor Lights

2005-07-25 6:35 AM
in reply to: #206009

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Harbor Lights
Yea, it certainly was hot out there by the time we got to the run!  You did a great job though - nice bike split on a road that was killing bikes left and right!
2005-07-25 8:10 AM
in reply to: #206085

Extreme Veteran
IL
Thanks!  You did well!  Between the heat, the headwinds, and the terrible road conditions, you should be proud of a job well done!
2005-07-26 12:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Here's a question...anyone have an idea how long it's going to take for all the official pictures to be posted?  I was scrolling through last years and it looks like a pretty cool service with some quality snaps!

Edited by dibujob 2005-07-26 12:36 PM
2005-07-26 12:32 PM
in reply to: #207734

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
dibujob - 2005-07-26 12:21 PMHere's a question...anyone have an idea how long it's going to take for all the official pictures to be postes? I was scrolling through last years and it looks like a pretty cool service with some quality snaps!

I've found that usually by Thursday or Friday the pics are up.... once I saw pics by Wednesday, but that's not usual, at least as far as I've found.
2005-07-26 2:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL

Cool, thanks again! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harbor Lights Rss Feed