United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 37m 42s
Overall Rank = 1409/2550
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 246/399
Pre-race routine:

Slept pretty well considering what was in store. Got up 3:30 and ate pb&j bagle and banana and got some fluids in. Woke wife and son at 4. Double, triple checked my bags and gear and headed out. My parents and brother decided to come down early as well to park downtown which worked out great. Dropped off special needs bags, body mark, fill tires, load bike and hung out in terrace for a bit. When they opened the gates to the roof we headed up and got a spot staked out. We had my folks and son on the roof, wife, Mary wrer rovers and a friend Charlie was going to stake out transition so they had all the bases covered.
Event warmup:

We didn't take the helix down so I had to fight the crouds to work my way to the line. Was a little concerened about being in the back but tried to relax and soak it all in. Got in the water and warmup consisted of treading water for 5 minutes or so.
Swim
  • 1h 11m 36s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I stayed shore side of the ramp about half way between. I worked my way to the 2nd or 3rd row of people and tried to find some space just like everyone else. Bang and we are off. This was my first mass start so was a little concerned about getting room to swim so I stayed wide. Worked out very well but it is amaizing how many people can not swim a straight line if their life depended on it. I would be going along and someone would cross right over me going in and out, very strange. The corners were always interesting with so many people turning and stopping so I tried to stay wide and out of trouble. Second loop I stayed closer to the bouys. Started cramping with 700yds or so to go so slowed and just tried to prevent full seizure. Got out and was pleased with my time of 1:11, stripped and off to the helix. The energy was amaizing. One guy came flying past us full sprint which got the croud going.
Over all very happy with the swim. One heel to the chin on the last corner but not hard. Unfortunatelly the easiest part of my day was already over.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 09m 50s
Comments:

Took my time. Had a great helper. I'm always a bit paranoid that I will forget something. I fully changed into bike shorts etc..

Could speed it up a bit but with 11-12 more hrs to go a few minutes wasn't going to kill me.
Bike
  • 6h 32m 16s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm not a very strong biker and have not done enough long training rides so I just wanted to take it easy and not overcook the hills. I was able to hold off Chasingkona until about mile 21, he was the only person I knew that I ran into on course. Always nice to see a familar face. The support of the people out there was great.It was a little sad that on what seemed like every big climb the croud would go nuts and just when I was believing it was for me it turns out I was being chicked. They were all studs and deserved the response. Oh well.
We scouted the areas where I could expect to see my family on Saturday but of course they were at a completely different location so the first time by I almost missed them but they stuck it out and waited for me to come around again. They were just after the last of the big climbs which was easy for them to get in and out.
I hadn't riden the stick before and thought I was done climbing then there was the hill at mile 100 or so. Durring a training ride probably wouldn't register as a big deal but after 6 hrs it felt pretty tough. Monona Terrace never looked so good and going up the helix was awsome. As always it felt great to get off the bike. Little did I know what was in store for me.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 09m 3s
Comments:

Had great help again, fully changed and again took my time. Just very happy to be off the bike. 26.2 to go.

nothing
Run
  • 5h 34m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to be off the bike by 8 hrs leaving me 5 hrs to get home under 13 total so I was right on schedule. Saw Mary and headed up to the capital and bam both quads cramped on me. This has happened before so I kept going to work them out. A couple hundred yards from the Donkey station Biscay was heading back in. Isn't it great to be able to be out there with the pros? So I shout out something encouraging to her and my left hamstring siezed. At this point it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that I was in for a long run and my desired time was already out the window. Dave was the first donk and he gave sone wisdom and I was happy to stop a minute to start working it out. Saw a couple others and headed out. The rest of my day was a walk run suffer fest because any elevation change and I would start cramping so I just did what I could. The trail portions were beautiful and I actually started to tear up reading the signs along the path, what a great pick me up.
At the end of state street my family was there so I gave my brother an update and told him to expect me closer to 14 than 13 hrs. Second lap was more of the same, run as long as able and walk when I felt that I had to. There were a couple of people down and a guy that was heaving violently on the second lap and I could only be thankful and a little embarassed that I was mad about my time. So many things can happen out there.
As I rounded the Capital I saw some of the donks again, quick high five and off to the chute. A caught up to a gal who was running strong, no one was close behing so I backed off so we could both have a good finish line experience. I tried to soak it up more than last year. What an incredible feeling. It is in that moment that you remember why we do this. Just incredible.

I have 12 months to solve my cramping issues and I need to train more because 2011 here we come!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my stuff, photos with the family. Went to the food tent but it was just more of what the aid stations had and after 5:34 that sure as hell wasn't what I wanted. After a few minutes pizza showed up but could only manage a couple bites. Did see Suzy there so that was a huge bonus.

Event comments:

I wanted to stick around but after a while I just wanted a shower and bed so we got my gear and headed out.
What a beautiful day, we couldn't ask for any better conditions.
I may actually have to get a coach or plan for next year but with my life it is not easy.
The next morning I asked my wife if I should sign up for 2011 with my brother and she said absolutely if I want to. Support of the famliy is crucial and I know that I am one lucky man.
Thanks again to every one out there that made the day possible.

Last updated: 2009-10-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:36 | 4224 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 104/399
Overall: 572/2550
Performance: Average
Suit: Blur Seventy full body
Course: Two 1.2 mile loops.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:50
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:32:16 | 112 miles | 17.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 238/399
Overall: 1333/2550
Wind: Some
Course: Stick and two loops
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:34:57 | 26.2 miles | 12m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 272/399
Overall: 1641/2550
Performance:
Course: Very nice without any really long boring stretches like Louisville, and no big hill was a nice bonus.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 2:17 PM

User image

Marshfield Wi
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2010-09-15 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3100554

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Nice job out there, Dave!  Glad to see you're in again for next year.  See ya there!
2010-09-15 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Nice job Dave!  Congrats also on signing up for 2011! 
2010-09-15 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
It was so great to see you again this weekend.  Your swim and bike were great!!  Totally sucks on the cramps, but like you said you have a year to solve that problem.  Come to Madison and ride the course with me!!!  Of course, you'll ride, rest and I'll catch up.  See you in '11!!!
2010-09-16 8:35 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven

Great job out there!  too bad we could not talk more on the course - but you were going forward I was just sitting at the donkey aid station. 

Way to tough out the run and listen toyour body in order to gain the most important goal - YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!

Next year I am in again.  So we have a year to get ready for sub 13 - my goal too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed