Revolution3
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 36m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 21/22
Pre-race routine:

Doing Cedar Point for me was a journey of a different sort. Some of you know I was miserable training all summer. I quit about 20X. Thanks in large measure to BT & the Michigan Rawk Squad I stuck with it. I followed many of you in cyber space and drew inspiration from all of you! So thank you!!

Two summers ago, driving home, high on the endorphins of doing my traditional women's only tri (the 1st one I ever did in 2006 that got me hooked) I recieved a phone call that shattered my life as I knew it. I was told over the phone that my uncle was murdered by a random gunman who stormed into the church where he was an usher. He was much younger than my mother. So for 30 years he was the big brother I never had. When he remarried, I became equally close to his wife. In some sort of karmic kick in the gut, she died 14 months later of pancreatic cancer--which will be one year next month.

I pray many of you sail through life never having to experience anything like this. For sure, people lose parents, grief of a different sort. We don't choose our parents and have varying degrees of relationship with them. I *chose* these people. They *chose* me...to be confidantes, teachers, mentors and friends. We traveled together, laughed together. Not only were they friends, but they shared the "code" of being family.

I have struggled to care about anything at all for a very long time, much less triathlon, a relatively meaningless endeavor.(unless yer getting paid the big bucks for it) Finishing this in a way has been a testament to re joining life, to try to celebrate life again, and like my blog says, somehow searching for inner joy.
Event warmup:

I ate a bagel and hightailed it to the water to watch Coop go off for the Full Distance and continued praying for calm waters. Downed some Gu Chomps before my wave, and did a quick in and out to make sure my goggles sealed.
Swim
  • 56m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was what I'll call an epic fail, though I canNOT believe I was in under an hour. I had some sort of panic attack or s/thing. Never ever had one, so don't know what it would be. I don't know what happened! I did two 1 mile OWS races this summer, I'm not fast but *very* comfortable in the water, so WTF??

Water was generally calm, not glassy mind you, but I just could NOT catch my breath. I did everything I could, breast stroke, back stroke. Finally I waved for a kayaker, I mean I wasn't even 250 yards from shore and felt like my heart was gonna jump out of my chest.

Then I began again, went about 100 yards and AGAIN! The kayaker woman followed me, and I hung on again. I lamented to her, asked her the time --she claimed she didn't know. I mean do they tell them to do that? --thinking if it was getting too late I'd bail. I was 90% close to calling it quits altogether but thought, OH GOD, if I can JUST get to the bike!

Once I caught my breath, I started again, and somehow, once I rounded the what I guess was the 700 yard buoy, I was OK the rest of the way.

I easily lost 10 minutes right there. Which is disappointing. I had hoped I could do the swim in 45 minutes, which was a real possibility if I hadn't had a freakout!
What would you do differently?:

Um, not freak out? Talked to another BTer -- great swimmer btw -- who said the cold took her breath away too, so I dunno, maybe it was the cold water / running into the water that spiked my HR?
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

Ha, I wasn't racing this! I was SO SO SO happy to be out of the swim and into T1. I said "Hi" to WonderWoman, got to my bike, kibbitzed with the hubster and got my stuff.

Well, if I was racing, um, RUN for starters, and ignore everyone :-)
Bike
  • 3h 49m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I was SOOOO happy to be on my bike!!! YAY!! I did a lot of 3+ hr bikes this summer so it was just, OK, here we go. I wasn't in a hurry (I know it's sposd to be a race but this was more of finish and feel good for me)

I talked to EVERYONE. I thanked every volunteer, every cop at every corner, and just had F-U-N FUN! The wind coulda been a little less on that one 10 mile stretch but I just went 'ehn' I'm not fighting it. When I'd see the few full distance guys on their 2nd loop, I thought Oh Em Gee. Oh well, I know that's not who I am.

Peed twice -- but not on the bike LOL -- and chatted with the gal who was holding my bike while racer boy came up. I decided he looked more in a hurry so let him go into the portapotty first. Crazy, I know?

When I got to T2 there was a funny spectator who made me laff, and I realized I'd rather have fun than be hurting trying to gain an extra mile or 2 per hour.

Nothing! Given my wicked swim, I started eating immediately, used Nuun tabs in my water. Had a Clif bar and a half, bottle of Infinit and lots of water. I was very happy headed into the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

I wanted new, more cushy socks for the run, so that prolly slowed me up, but my feet were happier for it. Grabbed my stuff and went. Not much to linger about in T2, except I just don't rush like the "real" racers.

Nothing, this was gonna be a long day anyway for me, so what's 30 seconds to change socks for a slowpoke like me?
Run
  • 2h 44m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Loved this being so much on the water. As I exited the parking lot, there was Ms. Trish, the uber speedster. Unreal, I'm *starting* my run and she's finishing!

Then as I hit Mile 3 I saw Sushi Jaclyn coming and thought OMG is she fast! We high fived and that brought a smile on my face to see her. I kept looking for others as I knew everyone else was speedier than I.

The aid stations were great! And what a GREAT HUSBAND I have. He left the Park and came out and surprised me at Mile 5, then 8 and actually jog/walked with me a 1/2 mile. (ok, he's 6.5 and I run slow LOL)

Again, I was all chatty with the volunteers. I ran into a gal I rode with on the CTC training ride in July who volunteered and she finally said "GET GOING!!!"

I couldn't believe at Mile 6, I actually thought, "Oh, only 7 more miles" in a good way. I am not a runner. The sun was shining, and I was happy. I just paced myself as I had been on long runs. I didn't have any preconceived idea of "hurry up! gitrdone!"

I kept plugging along, and around Mile 10 I see a white "Michigan Rawk Squad" shirt and blond pony tail. I speed up and it's Kristen and we slow to a walk and chat.

And to round out the run, as I'm coming into Mile 12, there's Coop, all lathered up with sunscreen, headed into his second loop! Boy do I feel his pain (well not really). I give him a hug, secretly thinking, OMG, I am so glad I'm not him.

I canNOT fathom how those full distance folks do it! Seriously, you Iron folks have something I just don't. Whether it's 10 hours or 17 that you finish in you're all amazing!

Um, remember the sunscreen. Someone's a rock lobster today.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw the hubster in the finish chute, which got derailed a bit by coming in right after the 1st Place Full Distance Woman's winner. No announcer, no jumbotron, no picture. Oh well. But *I* knew I finished. *I* knew I followed through on something that took **every ounce** of commitment and energy I had.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not caring. To think I finished this race 34 minutes faster than my last HIM, more undertrained, not trying, and 15 months older. Imagine if I actually gave a damn :P

Event comments:

I think Rev3 did a GREAT job for a first event. I give HUGE kudos first to how many volunteers they had in the water -- one of the most dangerous parts of the race. THAT was impressive.

Then the aid stations on the bike and run course were OUTSTANDING! Not like I'm some HIM pro or anything, but compared to HIM Boise, Rev3 was head and shoulders above them in this regard.

Downside, maybe out of their control:
**Hotel Breakers was NASTY! You'd be better off camping!
**Chip sealed roads, yuck. Thankfully I ride on Continental Grand Prixs which are a little sturdier than slicks, but I'd be worried. The new chip seal wasn't driven on enuf to smooth it out and my girlie bits are the worse for it.

Last updated: 2010-02-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:20 | 2112 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/22
Overall: 22/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Qunitana Roo Ultra Full
Course: Rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:49:21 | 56 miles | 14.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Through the farm lands of Ohio. A LOT of chipsealed road, which is unfortunate.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:44:46 | 13.1 miles | 12m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: Revolution3 Cedar Point Half

2010-09-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3100665

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Cedar Point Half
Congratulations! Sounds like you went through a lot to get to the starting line. Nice job battling through the swim and finishing! Welcome to the land of the living!
2010-09-15 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Nice job on finishing and enjoying your day on the course.  Bummer about the roads I thought they were great when I rode them in June and loved the course before the chip seal came into play.

2010-09-15 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3100898

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
rottieguy - 2010-09-15 6:04 PM

Nice job on finishing and enjoying your day on the course.  Bummer about the roads I thought they were great when I rode them in June and loved the course before the chip seal came into play.

Tnx, Rottie.  Maybe i'm just being "whiny" but I thought a fair amount of the HIM course was newly chipped.  Maybe when it's ground down it'll be better, but I surely don't remember it being like that in July when I rode the course. 
2010-09-15 7:54 PM

Master

Great work!  You came flying by me on the run...and you were looking strong.  You should be proud!

2010-09-17 3:48 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Simply awesome Andrea........you conquered numerous challenges both physical and emotional. FORTITUDE!!!
You rock.  

2010-09-17 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Hooray for Andrea!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Cedar Point Half Rss Feed