Fitness Fanatics
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 39s
Overall Rank = 21/159
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

10 minutes easy jog, porta potty stop, gel and water, put on wetsuit and headed down to the water. Got about a 5 minute warm up in the water before the horn
Swim
  • 26m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started really strong and had some good drafting but the water was so cold my goggles started fogging up very early in the swim. I stuggled sighting pretty much the whole swim after that. I was way off course at one point and probably spent a lot of energy weaving back and forth. The downriver part was pretty quick though and I only had to stand up and find the boat launch. I ended up knocking 6 minutes off my best swim time at this distance, which I think was largely due to my big focus this summer on my ows swimming skills. I felt fast and strong and was actually passing people pretty easily.
What would you do differently?:

Different goggles, and make sure and use anti-fog spray before the race. Booties might have been wise for this swim as my feet were numb when I got out and for pretty much the whole bike course. The water was definitely colder than I thought it would be. Overall though very pleased with my swim
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

My hands were so cold and feet werent functioning right so it was tough to move fast. Putting on a long sleeve shirt cause I was freezing was a wise move but cost me some time.

More T1 practice and preparation for the cold conditions would have helped me, I sort of panicked cause it was taking me so long to get on the long sleeve jersey and shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so cold for the first few miles it was hard to function. Once I warmed up on the hills though the race went a lot better. The constant up and down was tough but I finally was able to settle in and put a solid effort in.

Bring leg and arm warmers, those would be easier to slide on and off I think. Nutrition was good. Maybe just try and stay with a pack more instead of surging to pass and then fading, just need to keep it steady
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

T2 was fast, could have been quicker if I practiced it more and got a better spot

Practice
Run
  • 40m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt awesome the whole time, and was never passed. It would have been nice to see where my AG competition was at some point on the run. Kept pushing though and holding even splits

Give it a little more, I felt good at the end and probably could have left a little more out there. That single track section slowed me down a couple times as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, jogged my gear back to my car. Ate some bananas and bagels and took in some gatorade. Layed down till the awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold was tough, but that was the only real excuse that I can give. Just go faster next time I guess

Event comments:

It could definitely be better but for a small local race I can't complain. I love the sweatshirt they gave out. A pre race meeting would be beneficial I think just to outline the course and expectations, I saw a lot of people wandering around on the run at times and the start of the race was rather hectic because we didn't know what was going on. 7am start time is ridiculous when it is 45 degrees outside and easily was in the 70's by 9am. Just start a couple hours later and it would be awesome! The post race was pretty lame, step it up with give aways and awards for next year. Overall though I had a lot of fun and was very pleased with my day. I would recommend this race to anyone looking for a late season local triathlon.

Last updated: 2010-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 69/159
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Fullsuit
Course: It was a very cold river swim. We swam upriver into a very slight current, then turned around and cruised back to the boat launch exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:08 | 24.85 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 25/159
Wind: None
Course: A rolling out and back course. Seemed like it was more of an uphill course going out but you were pretty much constantly going up or down, not a lot of flat sections or areas where you could get in a rhythm
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:26 | 06.21 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 6/159
Course: 1 mile out, then a 4 lap course, and 1 mile back to the finish. All very flat. Somewhat congested by the 4th lap and the single track section made it tough to pass people at times. Fun run though
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes