Revolution3
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 40m 56s
Overall Rank = 569/591
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

Rode LOTS of roller coasters! While probably not the best idea the night before your first HIM, the Maverick was freakin awesome. And so was the Top Thrill Dragster (my first time on both rides). I loved it!

Also, the underwear run on Saturday afternoon was a great pre-race routine.
Event warmup:

We got to a late start, so we didn't have much time for warming up. I regret this tremendously...the water was colder than I expected and I lost my breath immediatly when I went into the water. Next time, I MUST get into the water before the start (and I knew this).
Swim
  • 48m 53s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

We didn't have much time before the start of the race, so I didn't get a proper warm up in. I should have, at least, got into the water to get my body used to the temp. When the horn for our wave went off, I ran until the water was too my knees, and then dove in. To my surprise...it was COLD! I lost my breath. And...it ended up getting shallow again, so I had to get up and run some more before diving in a second time. It took me a good 200 meters to be able to breath normally. I almost had a panic attack, but reminded myself that the feeling would go away in just a few minutes...which it did.

The rest of the swim was uneventful, minus the crotchety old lady that grabbed my leg and pulled me under (Three times! I though about hauling off and punching her square in the mouth). It was difficult to sight...the sky was gray and the water was gray, and the bouys were far apart. I just tried to keep somewhere in the middle of the other swimmers.

After rounding the final bouy, I felt great. I pushed it hard and tried to finish strong. My time was a surprise...I didn't think I was that slow in the water. But, all things considered (nerves, cold water, old lady trying to kill me, etc), I won't complain.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water before the start....for sure.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Felt ok about this transition. It was a pretty big transition area. I got my wetsuit off without too much trouble, shoes on easily and felt like I was out on my bike in a decent amount of time. I was happy to see that the two shot blox I'd stuck in my tri-shirt under my wetsuit were still there.

Nothing...I can always try to hustle more, but I knew this was going to be a long day.
Bike
  • 3h 35m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed this ride! I worked hard and tried to keep up my pace. Early on, we passed a police sign telling you your speed, and I was going 20 mph! I made sure to say hello and good job to all of the other riders I saw or passed. One crotchety old lady (same one from the swim??) gave me this mean look when I told her "good job". What the heck was her problem?! We played tag throughout the ride. Once we got to the final drive along the water leading back into the park, I saw her up ahead about half a mile. I gunned it...no WAY was this cranky lady going to beat me back to transition. I pushed hard and left her in my dust (She promptly passed me again on the run, but still....).

Nothing...I am happy with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

I wasn't looking forward to the run, so I took my time. I changed my shirt, threw on some shorts over my tri-shorts and put on my new Rev3 visor.

Hustle. Be prepared for the run.
Run
  • 3h 08m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Blah. Walk, Walk, Walk, Run. Walk, Walk, Run. Walk, Walk, Walk, Run.

Lots of interesting things I noticed while spending 3+ hours on the course. A homeowner in a "sketchy" part of town became irate when another racer dropped her water cup in front of her house. Luckily, a nice police officer was just a few hundred feet away. I was nervous for a minute there.

I noticed a house that had mail box on what looked like a broken post leaning against their fense. Upon further inspection, attached to the mail box was a rope that was attached to a pully system on the porch. These people don't have to leave their porch to get their mail. All they need to do is pull on the rope to bring the mail box to them. Too funny!

Oh yeah...back to the run. It was a pleasure to see almost all of the BTer's on the run course....Trish first, Ranger Dave, Jaclyn, my favorite guy Mike, travljini and then Coop as I was heading in. Just wish I would have seen Smoak.

Training could always help.
Post race
Warm down:

Mike met me at the finish (I was so happy to see him). I sat for a few minutes, because I was feeling a little sick (throw-up sick). It passed and eventually I took a look at the race results, chatted with the other BTer's, showered and had some post-race BBQ chicken (mmm!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did a great job of training all winter and spring...but once summer hit, I began slacking off and didn't have much structure to my training. Consistant training, expecially for the run, would help. Although I knew I wasn't ready, there was no way I was going to skip this race. Next year, there is only room for improvement!

Event comments:

Great race...great volunteers...police were awesome on the bike and run. The race swag is very cool and finishing inside of Cedar Point was awesome! I loved this race and look forward to giving it another try.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:53 | 1931 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 497/591
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Blue Seventy
Course: Striaght out about 700 meters, right, and then back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:33
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:35:10 | 56 miles | 15.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 541/591
Wind: Strong
Course: Country roads through Sandusky, to Milan and through a couple other towns.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
03:08:43 | 13.1 miles | 14m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 564/591
Performance: Bad
Course: Long, zig zaggy through Sandusky.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 7:23 PM

Master
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman

2010-09-15 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3101082

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman

Not sure how you do it with your travel schedule.  Nice job!

2010-09-16 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3101082

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Great job, Kristen!  So glad I ran into you & most of the others too!

Bummer about almost being killed on the swim.  Oy.

What a great first time experience and good for you sticking it out.  I know you were initially just going for the 1/2 Aquathlon, but how awesome you did the whole thing!!!!!

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Rss Feed