Madison, Wisconsin
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 11h 56m 18s
Overall Rank = 69/1000is
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/110
Pre-race routine:

Warning: This is gonna be long. If you want, feel free to skip to race.

For starters, I was so grateful to even be able to participate in this race. In the weeks prior, I had a bunch of training challenges that made me question whether it was gonna happen. I won't go into too much detail bc I feel like I always harp about problems during my race reports, but my body was definitely telling me that enough was enough.

I didn't post goals or anything bc I really just wasnt sure. I had to take a round of steroids that made me gain 7 lbs overnight and I was keeping 1st Choice in business for different muscle tendon issues (that turned out to be partially caused from steroid withdrawal)

With a month of training to go, two of my bffs weddings were scheduled during key training weekends and fitting my training in and around those was the last straw for the old body. I took a few complete days off and decided last minute on a two week v three week taper that would allow me to get in one real twenty miler and a longish group ride before I essentially rested the remaining two weeks. Dr Niks advice was nothing intense so I did only very light training those two weeks which I think really saved me. I believe I was a a bit overreached going into taper and I felt like dog doo till a couple days prior to the race.

It was a really exciting time bc John and Is parents were all coming up to watch, plus 19 tri club members competing. It was all very exciting and I didn't want to miss out. Ron, Annie, Claire and many others did a great job organizing details of the event, and we also were excited about all great supporters that were coming up to cheer and watch.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the ER trip the night before the race. I had a terrible migraine so we sat there till like 1 am. After that I was like, this race is gonna be Terrible or Awesome!!

Thursday before the race, I was w my boss then I had to jump on a flight right after work. We got in late that night, exhausted but excited to be in Madison. Oh and the cheese was everything they said it would be. Mmmmmm!!!

Friday we did our thing, checked in, and went out to eat w our parents. It was also my bday weekend and I seriously couldnt have had a more amazing bday! Thanks to my fam and hub and everyone in ATC for making it so! I got cards and gifts from the fam and a good time was had by all.

We also swam and the water was seriously choppy. I decided not to run at all this week but for a few miles bc my calves had been hurting the last few weeks. I got some more ART instead from the guy at the Ironman tent. Got weighed and miraculously I was down to race weight again, despite eating like a horse the past two weeks. Good omen?

Saturday- we made signs, hung out w the fam and got our bikes ready. I practiced changing a flat 5 times in the room getting it from 15 minutes to about six. I got more ART and we went to the ATC dinner, which was Awesome!!!

Great slideshow by Claire, inspirational talks by Beau and Ron, and awesome cowbells that Annie had ordered. Thanks to them and Annie for organizing the dinner. I think Jeanine helped in a big way too. Also got a card from the whole club, a cake and a happy bday rendition which was AWESOME!! MUCH thanks to my awesome hub for organizing that!!! Later I also got a really sweet card from him and a separate card from the pups, which is my absolute FAVORITE!!

John and I were both very nervous but very excited about the next day. I had come to some acceptance and just stopped agonizing over things out of my control and resolved to have a great time and enjoy the experience no matter what.

Earlier in the day over lunch, I had given my parents a sheet with time ranges to expect us at different parts along the course. I estimated that it would take 1:10-1:20 for the swim, 6:25- 6:40 for the bike, and 3:40- 4:15 for the run.

My strategy was as follows:

SURVIVE THE SWIM AND JUST KEEP SWIMMING
This was not bc I was afraid of the distance. I was afraid of the people, the contact, and the impact on my times. I have been swimming more lately and more open water, and knew that I could probably do a 1:10 if it was just me and preferably a few pals to draft off of if I got tired. ha ha. But I really really hate getting touched in the water, it makes me hyperventilate, then I end up stopping, then I get swam over more,etc. BC of this I gave a wide range bc I didn't want to make myself more anxious to miss an arbitrary swim time.

BIKE: RIDE LIKE YOU'RE ON A CRUISER TOUR AKA... THE EASIEST GROUP RIDE YOU'VE EVER DONE
Cycling really isn't my best thing so I knew my best shot was to use Davids strategy of going almost Overly easy on the bike, w the hopes that I could run well. Me pushing hard and gaining 15 or 20 on the bike would be lost ten times over if I had to consequently walk the run

RUN: GIVE IT EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT
I really thought I could do well if I treated the sb as a warmup. My A goal was to BQ the marathon but I didn't tell anyone that except maybe John bc I thought it might sound too ambitious. My B goal was keep running anything under 4 or whatever it took to break 12 hours. My C goal was to have a great time and a great attitude

OVERALL GOALS
With these times ranges I figured if everything went Absolutely Perfect I might hit 11:35 or so, I had some margin of error so I prob could get under 12. I told my parents 11:35- 13 hours. I actually had a dream that I got 11:35 so I wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not.
Event warmup:

The usual preparations, got in the water and resolved to not get emotional during the event I was most fearful of, the swim!

Rons talk really helped and I kept telling myself the words he said at dinner the night before, something to the effect of not getting emotional and moving forward.
Swim
  • 1h 19m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ouch! I am actually proud of myself that I kept on going. I teared up a few times and yelled at a guy who grabbed my shoulder and pushed me underneath him. A couple of times I stopped and treaded water to catch my breath. When we rounded the buoys and everyone yelled "moo" I thought "What is wrong w them!! Don't they know we're about to Die?!?!"

So rough. There has got to be a better way to start than this. I started too close to the front and got swam over, then when I stopped I got behind slower people that I then couldn't pass.

Ended up tarzan swimming a good portion of the time and sighting like every other stroke when I was swimming in an effort to avoid touching people.

The first half was 38 minutes which wasn't too bad. Second loop I decided to try swimming to the outside and took it really wide. Somehow that made it a lot slower but I had already let go of time expectation at that point.

When I stood up out of the water I was almost crying with happiness and gratitude that I got through the swim. I was excited and pumped up to get going. Hadn't gone as planned but I knew that I still had time to break 12.
What would you do differently?:

Clearly I need more experience in these types of situations. Im not sure how everyone else effectively navigates around, through, over, under everyone else safely and quickly.

Transition 1
  • 07m 59s
Comments:

Saw Todd get out of the water at about the same time. I figured John was far ahead. Katie was running out of transition when I ran in. I figured Giorgia was already on the course as well.

I had on double tri shorts but they came off when i took off my wetsuit. didn't want to take the time to put them back on. Then, I couldn't find chamois cream in my bag. WTH?? (heck) I double and triple checked my bag so it either fell out or someone decided to play a very cruel joke on me.
Bike
  • 6h 37m
  • 112 miles
  • 16.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Once again my strategy was to make this "the easiest group ride I ever did" and it really felt like that. I mean, I prob got passed by a thousand people and I was totally fine w it.

I marveled at how easy the ride felt at first compared to group rides. Unless I am riding alone I am always killing myself to stay w faster people so it was kindof relaxing to just cruise.

I was running my hr at about 150 on the first half when my half IM bike pace is at 160 bpm. I changed my watch to not show my pace bc I knew it would be stressful to see 17 mph as the average.

The first ATCer to pass me was Katrin. She looked awesome on the bike! Someone once told me that the secret to a great cyclist is long femurs so I always look at peoples leg length when they pass me. (weird huh?) Anyways, for a split second I considered following her but I looked at her great position and long femurs compared with my genetically inferior short legs and decided it wouldn't be wise :)

Next to pass me was Ron, he looked steady and strong as well.(with mediumish femurs, lol) I told him Katrin was just ahead.

My plan for cals was to have 3 flasks of EFS liquid shots and 5 gels to total about 250 an hour. Everything was going well the first half and at my speed the big hills were a piece of cake. I rode the buckhead bellyache almost every week for months plus usually a hilly weekend ride as well. The way people touted Wisconsin hills, I was expecting hors categorie climbs!

I LOVED seeing Beau and Jeanine dressed as Elvis and a pirate on the hill, how awesome are they! Also saw the folks a couple of times, which was a huge boost and I really appreciated them being out there.

At the halfway point I had set my watch to show elapsed time so I would have an idea of the race clock time throughout the day. I calculated the first half of the bike took me about 3 07 so I was thrilled w that pace versus perceived effort.

I started wondering if I had taken it Too easy and whether I should pick it up on the second loop. About mile 70 though I started feeling bad and realized that I wasn't getting all my cals bc my bike and backside were somehow Covered in EFS? Also I was having some PAIN from sitting on that bike and cursing whoever stole my chamois cream. (who the heck takes that from a stranger. GROSS!!! )

When I went up the Verona hills the second time, my legs went from great to working too hard. Beau ran alongside and was asking me how I felt and I said I was tired. He asked me if I was eating and drinking enough. I thought I didn't have anything to lose by stuffing my face w an extra bonk breaker and gel Id stashed in my tri top pocket.

Well ten minutes later I felt good again although I was starting to have to stand up for every single bump. I let my hr creep up to 153ish but I wasn't going any faster. At this point I figured my bike would be 6 30 which is kindof what I had planned.

One hiccup is that my chain dropped to the inside a couple of times and was grinding against my frame. No big deal but I had to stop three times to fix it which cost 5 minutes or so. I also heard noises coming from my derailler and I was just Praying it would hold together for a few more miles.

At the end of the bike I was talking to myself saying "just get to the run." It was going to be a few minutes after the eight hour mark before I started so I was starting to worry about my sub 12 goal. When I got to the end of the bike, I was SOOo happy just to have made it without major mechanical or physical issues that I was grinning from ear to ear!!

My plan worked well so nothing. In the future, obviously I'd like to be able to cruise the bike at a faster pace.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

This T was fast. The last chain drop occurred on the helix and I saw the race clock and it said 8:07. I knew I was going to be cutting it Close with 12 hours and every second that elapsed in transition was crucial.

I basically did nothing I handed my bike off, ran into the room and grabbed my bad. The volunteer was asking me what I needed and I said "shoes, sunglasses, and hat." She was asking me if I wanted other things and I said that I really appreciated her help and I just had to go now.
Run
  • 3h 48m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I had to get it going and I felt good to finally be at the only leg where I felt truly confident. That being said I was really worried about my calves holding up.

I had spoken to Paul and Jim the night before about run strategy and they strongly advised me to hold waaaay back during the first six miles. I remembered that and I felt great. I was trying really hard to slow down,but was running in the 8 teens and twenties with little effort so it was hard.

I took my Garmin off pace screen and just displayed hr and elapsed time. I wasn't sure what hr to run but found that 159 was Just below my ventilatory threshhold, not breathing hard or feeling like I was working hard. I stuck at that 159 the whole first half, if I got tired or started to breath hard I would get back down to 159 and everything would be fine.

I started seeing some ATC folks on the out and backs and they were Way ahead... yowza. Like 20-30 minutes. Everyone was running strong and looked to be in good spirits. Every time I thought about wanting to catch up I felt my pace quicken and I kept telling myself to be patient.

I had no plans to walk, at least for the first couple of hours. Once I walk or stop, its hard to get going again so I just kept running, although I was taking in fluid still.

It was awesome to go through the capital and see all the people cheering. I saw my family and all the ATC folks,it was great! I did some calculations at the halfway point and saw that I could run 9 minute miles and still beat 12 hours.

Unfortunately, my calves were getting really tight and going up the hills was starting to be painful. The dirt path SAVED me and my calves would probably not have lasted if they didn't have that respite.

Slowly I started to catch people. Katrine, who looked good, then Ron. I tried to encourage Ron and told him that we both had sub 12 in the bag, but he was in a bad spot and dehydrated.

I didn't see anyone else for awhile, then in the stadium I saw Matt and Giorgia. Matt seemed elated but had slowed and Giorgia had cramps and was stretching. I felt bad bc I know that she was superbly well trained for the race and I didn't even think I would catch her. After mile 15 my calves were essentially locked up and I slowed considerably, when I saw John. He was the other thing that saved my race. I was happy to see him, first of all, and he gave me his saltsticks. I didn't really think they would help,but I opened the capsules and ate the contents. I actually had to walk for about thirty secs or so here, but amazingly the electrolytes helped almost immediately and I was back on the run.

I started eating the chicken broth too and that helped as well. After this I saw Annie and she was running fast and was having a great race. I really needed to make pit stop, so I popped behind a tree at mile 22. This little rest seemed to help and I was ready to dig deep for the finish.

I knew it was gonna be close and I had about 36 or so minutes to make my goal. I was sooo afraid that my watch time was wrong and knew that my only option was to run it like it was a 5k. I thought about my calves ripping like they seemed to during my marathon and realized that I didn't care, I would do that if I had to.

The next two miles I managed sub 8s and I was hurting like a dog. People I passed were casually walking and I wanted to yell at them,"Come on! We can break 12 if you run!" I remember one girl was talking really loud about how she met a hot french man on the course and I was like Really?

I gave it all and with a mile left I was hoping the cheers would make it possible. I could hear Mike Reillys voice and everything around me disappeared. A few other guys were running hard now too. I asked one of them how much time we had and he said just a couple of minutes. I was feeling lightheaded and I just wanted to close my eyes. I decided I would pass out if I had too but not slow down.

And then suddenly, it was there. The finish line. The clock. It ticked over to 11:56 and all the sudden I was sprinting. I high fived a couple of kids then raised my arms, and then collapsed into the arms of the volunteers. It was everything everyone said it would be.

`
Post race
Warm down:

My legs instantly locked up when I stopped and I had to be assisted. Went to the med tent, saw John, got a massage, and it took me like two hours to get back to the finish line. We stayed till all the ATCers were in, then stayed until midnight. It was great. I was so impressed with the performances of all the club members, what a strong well trained group!

I was really impressed with John. He had an awesome swim and bike, and did way better than he thought he would in his first "marathon." Also his parents are Really good spectators. His mom spots with binoculars and then he gets about a 100 high speed shots every time we passed him on the course.

A few days later I was completely SHOCKED to hear John say that he would like to an Ironman again sometime.It was really cool to train together and do this together. All in all, I was surprised at how it really felt like an accomplishment when I thought it would just feel like another race. It was cool to train and race with 18 friends and bring so many others with us. This definitely made it more meaningful. I think the only thing that would make it more meaningful is if I raise money for a cause or charity next time. I think I would like doing that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As soon as I finished I knew that I want to do more of these and try to see if I can do it faster.

Event comments:

Awesome race. I see why everyone raves about this one.

Last updated: 2010-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 56/110
Overall: 0/1000is
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:37:00 | 112 miles | 16.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 39/110
Overall: 0/1000is
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:48:00 | 26.2 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/110
Overall: 9/1000is
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2010-09-15 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3101248

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
I have been waiting for your report and followed you on race day as well.  Your plan was so much better than mine, especially how you followed it!Laughing  Great report and thanks for the inspiration, both in Panama City, Macon and now Madison!
2010-09-15 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Bill!

Don't short yourself though. You have come a long way, from trouble w a HIM swim, to completing a non wetsuit legal currenty swim and an IM!

2010-09-16 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
What and awesome run!  I wish I could do that for a stand alone HALF marathon!  Seriously, very nice race! 
2010-09-16 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Great race, very nice running.
2010-09-16 7:17 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Speedy run split and a fantastic race!  Nice job!

2010-09-16 7:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Congratulations Ironman! You had a spectacular race! You could tell that you were spent when you crossed your finish line and you really did give it your all! Awesome!

Bug Ron about giving you the finish line footage I captured of you (if he hasn't already sent it to you).

2010-09-16 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Congrats...I am very happy for you.  it is funny how pacing is THE key to IM.  If you would have done 18 or 19 MPH (which you could have done), your run would not have been as great and maybe would have ended ugly.  In other words, great plan and having the discipline to stay with it.   On the swim, I am completely with you on the "bar fight".  You know I love to swim, but I hate the brawl.  I have the same reaction that you have to it. 

Enjoy your new title...IRONMAN!  bragging rights for life!

2010-09-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3101600

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cool, I will do that!! And thanks btw!!
2010-09-16 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3102368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well James, maybe I can get some tips from you on how to better handle it next time!!!

Thanks all for the congrats!
2010-09-16 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Sweet run, congrats! And btw, the story about the hot French man made me laugh out loud. Who has a shot at sub-12 and cruises along meeting guys instead???

2010-09-16 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I know! Thats what I was thinking! That chick really bothered me for some reason! Get your priorities straight girl!
2010-09-17 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Loved your race.  Great execution.  Patience really pays off in IM.  Well, congrats and no matter what happens next, you are an IRONMAN!

H.
2010-09-19 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3105375

User image

Extreme Veteran
homeraway - 2010-09-17 6:49 PM Loved your race.  Great execution.  Patience really pays off in IM.  Well, congrats and no matter what happens next, you are an IRONMAN!

H.

Thanks for the congrats! I am already looking forward to the next one!
2010-09-25 2:06 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Great execution! Treating the SB as a warmup is a great strategy! Way to go, IRONMAN!
2010-09-25 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Totally amazing race, especially given your lead in paragraphs.  Something to be very proud of, IRONMAN!

2010-09-30 11:19 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Nice job sounds like you had a great day!
2010-10-01 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
Wow...what a great race and report. Congrats on  fantastic time!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed