Revolution3
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 29m 28s
Overall Rank = 178/591
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/22
Pre-race routine:

Friday...drove down,(realized I forgot my wetsuit...total panic...called SuperCoop and he agreed to bring it to me..called my better half and he made the trip to Milford for me!!!! OMG! Disaster avoided!) got in my short bike and even shorter run(saw Steve, Russ,Kimm, KL, Andrea, Ranger and Nell during said workouts lol!),got registered, bought a bike jersey, had dinner with Russ, Steve, Dave, Nell, Dave Z and Natalie. Ice cream debt was paid by Steve after dinner, and walked the beach to settle the full belly! :)

Saturday...went to the Snoopy Suite aka the Bike Shop. Got my bike all numbered up and checked by Steve and Russ, Ranger joined us, then it was time to swim in the awful mess that was Lake Erie. Used a demo TYR suit and DaveZ's goggles and swam with MSU Dan...Bleck. Coop called (my hero!) to say he'd arrived and the wetsuit was there.Pretty soon it was time for the Underwear Run! Gulp! We made a spectacle in front of the hotel and had a great time releasing some stress and being silly. Gotta love that Trixie! :) She brings out the best in us all! Then food, bike drop off, pouring rain (so no park time) and dinner with Paul, Steve and Russ. Trish and her gang were there, and she and I hit the hay by about 9:45ish. After some snickers bars of course! ;) Slept like crap for the second night, got a fb alarm at 4:20am from a teammate and before you know it I was up and starting to get ready. Aunt Flo (the bitch) decided to visit race morning. Grrrrr. She has the worst timing, I swear!
Event warmup:

Walked to transition at 6:15 to set up, walked back down the beach to see Coop off (YAY! I GOT TO GIVE HIM A HUG BEFORE HE STARTED!) and then went back to the room to watch the swim, get suited up, go potty one more time and take 200mg of Vitamen I...the cramps were coming. :( Then we went back to the beach to our starting area and I had fun talking with folks and taking a nice wee on the beach with Kimm and KL...no way was I gonna have to pee like my last HIM on the bike...no way!.
Swim
  • 37m 10s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lots of the buoys got blown away the day before in the nasty windy conditions, so it was difficult to sight. I actually swam up to a kayaker who had on a red vest and was in a red boat thinking she was a buoy!!! I went off course 2 times, had a rough start (cold and breathing was off). I did pass Ranger ( I'm pretty sure it was him!) and a few others in the 2 waves before me, so that was good. The last section of the course heading into the beach was very choppy, and really cold. My right foot was basically numb by the time I got out. The wetsuit removal went MUCH better than the practice swim where I was stuck on my bum for several minutes. :)
What would you do differently?:

I've really got to learn to sight better. I know at IMFL it won't be that huge of an issue cause of so many people, but I keep wasting time and energy going off course! I was pretty happy with the swim other than the difficulty sighting and going off course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Well, I really should NOT try and think in transition! It never works! LOL. I wasted some time dumping water on my feet from the aid station when they had water buckets to rinse the sand out for us (nice touch!) And I decided to tug on an armwarmer, then tug it off. DOH! I just kept hearing Steve's voice about how we wouldn't need them. He's got no body fat,so I figured I'd survive. :)

Don't waste time with the water (know the buckets were there) and forget the armwarmers or KNOW I plan to use um. NO THINKING IN TRANSITION...It never works! :)
Bike
  • 2h 44m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I FROZE on the first couple miles of the bike, but then I was fine. The first(and last) 5 miles are on crap roads with beautiful houses...not bad out...a drag on the way in. I really didn't come close to pushing the watts my coach had me shooting for, but I was passing folks the whole race (it helps when you go off in the last wave!) I saw KL, Kimm, Sushi, Mike and Tricia...awesome! I tied my shoes to the bike for the first time, and that worked really well. I also just got a speedfil on my bike and that was AWESOME! No sticky crap all over my hands and bike! The only drawback is I didn't know how many calories I'd consumed. I didn't have any h20 on the bike, so I knew I'd be ok just drinking the poweraide stuff. I took 3 gus on the bike about 45 minutes apart, and got cerasport to refill at mile 30. I got a little hungry feeling on the bike, but was fine. I also grabbed a bottle of water at mile 40 and drank some cause I was kinda sick of the sport drink. I played leap frog with a fella for much of the back half of the course, and that was cool. Oh, and I pulled Pamela's signature move twice...passing a guy while he was passing a guy! LOL! On the final stretch I was cramping and my back was achy (damn Aunt Flo) and I hear this siren. I do the cross thinking someone is injured. Finally the annoying sound gets LOUD and it's a cop on a motorcycle. I look behind me and nothing. Then just as I'm approaching the turn into the parking lot for the transition he's right there...the #1 male pro from the IM with a scooter following him with a camera on him. I realized right then my butt was gonna be on the jumbo tron in the park! SWEET! He passes me and I pass a gal and shout "we're gonna be in the video girl!" She looked at me like I was nuts! LOL! It was pretty cool though, I gotta say!

Yes, I should have pushed harder. I felt pretty good throughout,(my butt did give me a little concern...usually it will hurt when I run, but this was the first time I felt it on the bike in a race) but I probably should have been able to make the 2:40 time goal my coach set out for me. Club nationals, I will push it harder!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Not spectacular for some folks, but pretty good for me. I liked the rack system REV3 used. Only one other bike in my transition area...Really? Cool! Put my racebelt on at my rack spot...should have run out with it.

put the belt on during the run, not at the rack spot.
Run
  • 2h 03m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Coach had an aggressive plan for the run, and although I missed it, I didn't miss it by too much. Did IM practice of run a mile, walk 1 full minute. Mile 1 had the aid station, so I thought sweet...this will work out great! Coming up on mile 2...no aid station. WTF? I walked anyways. At about 2.5, THEN the aid station. Took in h2o and walked a few paces. This was how it was for the rest of the run, but as the miles went up, the walks at the aid stations got longer. :( By the end of the run, I was willing the buzzer to go off on the garmin so I could take my walk break!!! BUT...I saw so many friends on the run it was AWESOME! James from our training ride, (too cool!) Steve with a HUGE smile on his face, KL, Smoak, Andrea, Kristin, my #1 training partner Ranger Dave and Lil Trish. Everybody looked so STRONG out there! It was awesome to get energy from cheering and being cheered by so many friends!!!

Nutrition wise, I took in gu and water only. This was fine. I did take a gu roctane which may have helped keep hunger at bay with the little bit of protien in it. Never had one before, and glad it didn't mess up my gut!

stick to the plan...only walk when at the mile marks. So, just learn to run through the aid stations, or adjust the walking to coincide with the stations. I really need to focus on keeping my paces. I was rather social on this run, and I noticed so many people (fast people mind you) looking totally focused and NOT talking! LOL :)
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line with my arms up in the air after being cheered in by Nell and Trixie (with the biggest smile and yelling my name...words can't describe how great that was!!!) and meet up with my teammates Trish,Dave and Dave!!! Phew! Done!!! Wahhhhooooooo! No real warmdown...didn't jog like I usually do. Finally got some food (didn't really want to eat) and muscle milk cause I made my recovery drink and it was at the hotel waiting for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor sighting, windy on the run, and not willing to crank it on the bike. Overall, very happy with results though.

Event comments:

It was sooo awesome to race with so many friends from BT. Trixie is THE best strapper bar none. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I just love sharing the race experience with people I care about!!! I was so happy to be there sharing KL,Smoak,Sushigirl, Kristin and Dan's first HIM race with them!!! And of course, it was AMAZING to be able to cheer Coop in his IRONMAN debut!

Overall I was happy with my effort, my improved pace on the bike and run from Monroe, and actually placing in my ag. Special thanks to Joanne for being my stalker during the race and alerting me to my place on fb, to SuperCoop for saving my butt by bringing the wetsuit to me, and to Steve and Russ for being the best babysitters on the planet. They rigged up my ride, charged my phone,decided our daily plan and went to the awards with me. I could get used to this treatment! ;)

Last updated: 2009-11-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:10 | 1931 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/22
Overall: 0/591
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: rectangle with sparce buoy's on the right
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:53 | 56 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Lots of turns, chip seal, rollers and a steep short climb into Milan.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:02 | 13.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: out of the park, over a causeway, through DT Sandusky, along the waterfront and back. Not gorgeous, not terrible...mostly flat except the causeway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-16 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Revolution3 Cedar Point Half

2010-09-16 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3102050

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Cedar Point Half

Great job Trish.  Looking forward to seeing how well you do at IMFL.  The competition should be scared as hell!

2010-09-16 6:52 PM

Regular
Plymouth, MI
What a fabulous race!! Great job all around for all of us.

Special hugs to my favorite #2 gal!! 
2010-09-16 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Great race!  You're speedy on the bike!
2010-09-16 8:30 PM

User image

Wow Trish!  You rocked that race!!!!   Congrats!

It was sooooooo awesome getting to hang out with you this weekend.  Thanks for the cheers at the finish line!
2010-09-17 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
I'm starting to  sound like a broken record....YOU ARE AMAZING!!!  Awesome race!  Every bit of it.  Even though you might have gotten off course on the swim, you still posted and incredible time.  And breaking 20mph on the bike despite the winds, the chipseal, and not pushing the watts like you were intending too...incredible.  Then following that up by averaging 9:23's on your run???

And I'm so glad that you were there at the end of mine.  Sharing that with you was very special!  BT Rawks!!!

2010-09-17 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job! You are soooo fast!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Cedar Point Half Rss Feed