Reston Triathlon
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 23m 57s
Overall Rank = 57/385
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/54
Pre-race routine:

Given the race is local I didn't have to get up all that early. Usual breakfast of cereal and 2 cups of coffee, mixed my drinks and was out the door.
Event warmup:

I arrived at 5:30 at the second transition and it was POURING! I just got out of the car and quickly realized that I was going to be quite wet for the next 4 hours or so, so I ought to get used to it. Luckily I had used plastic grocery bags to segment my stuff by what transition area I would need it at (I wasn't thinking about the rain - dumb luck I gues...) I wrapped up my running shoes pretty well before leaving them there and heading down to the lake.

The ride down was a great warm-up. However, it was disconcertingly dark and I really couldn't see much of anything. I followed a guy who had a bike light so it wasn't all that bad, but I've never ridden in such conditions before.

When I got to where I thought the pull-in for the lake parking lot was, I there was almost no light anywhere and I couldn't tell if I was in the right place or not. I asked two volunteers if this was the first transition, and they didn't even know what I was saying (bless 'em for being out there, but it was really early and apparently they hadn't received any instructions yet...)

I went in, quinted hard and saw the bike racks and figured I was in the right place. I again followed someone with a light around until I figured out where my rack space was. I set up my area and then went to get my chip and get body marked.

Somehow I was in the first swim wave (hadn't expected that and I don't even recall if they asked for a swim time when I registered - it was 10 bloody months ago after all!), and I was delighted (and felt a bit guilty) that the rack was literally two steps from the swim exit and a straight shot to the T1 exit. This placement is a real advantage to the first wave swimmers, it kind of felt like cheating. But given that T1 was going to be slow because of having to bag all my stuff before leaving T1, I figured I could put this advantage to good use :-)
Swim
  • 25m 57s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

After my bad wetsuit experience earlier this year at beginning of the Kinetic Half's swim segment (open water panic attack!), I resolved to take it easy at first this time and work my way up to my usual tempo. I did just that, and within 200m or so I was into my usual breathing rythm and was feeling strong.

I really couldn't see the buoys most of the time, and I did a lot of 'swimming with the minnows' hoping that the entire school wasn't offcourse. I did see the turn-around buoys just fine, and I cut that angle pretty tight.

On the way back I did spy the rope people were telling me about (apparently if you found it all you had to do was keep it in sight and you would be fine). However, I knew that we had to go around the spillway, which was to the right of the rope, so I stayed to the right figuring that it would be a straighter path than just sticking to the rope. As I got closer to the spillway my theory was validated.

I had a bit of trouble finding my feet as I was finishing up, but after an initial stumble which I chalk up to my usual post-swim delerium, I ran up the ramp and started taking my suit off.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was a solid performance for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I had a tough time getting my suit leg off over the darned timing chip, and had a bit of difficulty putting on my by-then-soaking socks, but all in all this was a pretty good transition. The rack placement for the first wave definitely helped a lot though.

At the last second I decided to ditch my sunglasses (with clear lenses) as I figured they would just get wet and bug me. I'm glad I did that.

Put timing chip under my suit pantleg?
Bike
  • 1h 07m 51s
  • 22.3 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me most of the first lap to get into a proper rythm. The first part on Glade has poor road conditions, was wet, the cones were left too small a space to bike in, and was covered in leaves and other debris from the storms that went through a few hours before the race. So, it was a bit nervewracking, and I took it a bit slow just because I was worried about wiping out, especially on the turns.

I noticed almost right away that I wasn't able to get any fluid (HEED) from my aerodrink. For some reason nothing was coming up no matter how hard I sucked on that stupid straw. I gave up on it for the first two laps and just drank from my water bottle the down tube.

By second lap I was feeling much more powerful and confident, and I started to push it a bit more. I also saw that according to my garmin I was in 20mph avg range, which I didn't expect on a moderately hilly course like this. I was getting passed left and right, though, which was disheartening. I was chicked a bunch of times - you ladies are way fast!

On the third lap I tried a new tack with the aerodrink - I took the straw out entirely and put it in the other way. It worked! I was very pleased to have HEED available to me again!

After the third lap I turned onto Ridge Heights drive and saw a terrible sight - a white mercedes in the middle of the street and a triathlete lying immobile right in front of it. I looked like a really bad accident. I couldn't tell exactly what had happened but there was no ambulance yet, and a police officer was there. But it was quite a horrible scene. I was thinking about that dude as I pulled into T2 and hoped that he would be OK.

When I saw my eventual time I was disappointed. But, then again, I'm always disappointed with my bike time.

My average HR was 162 so I don't think I could have pushed it harder and still had as good a run as I did. Need better hardware...

Bike harder? Better bike...
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Pretty fast here. no issues. Just switched shoes, grabbed my nathan bottle with HEED and took off.

As I was futzing with my garmin and running through to the exit, I nearly ran into someone also exiting T2. She wound up just ahead of me on the start and I figured I would try to catch her on the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 46m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty much right away I started to feel tightness in my calves. This tightness got a bit worse as the run continued, but to my relief it never turned into an outright cramp.

I tried for some time to catch the woman who came out just in front of me, but she was just too fast.

It took me a mile and a half or so to get into a decent rythm. It was around this time that I saw the race leaders coming back the opposite direction. I recognized David Cascio from the Reston Sprint the last two years. I also did a running high five with one of the top guys, not sure who it was.

Near what I thougth was mile three the top women went by, and it looked like it was quite a race between them because 3 were right together in a pack and the fourth was about 25 yards behind. I recognized the eventual #2 because I had been in a back-and-fourth bike passing duel with her a couple of years ago at the Reston Sprint (before she utterly dusted me on the run...)

Right after the leading ladies went by I was pretty excited because I thought I was almost at the turnaround and I wasn't all that far behind them. Alas, my optimism was unfounded. I thougth the turnaround was at the poolhouse I ran to the week before when I was checking out the run course, but it turned out that it was past here about a third to a half a mile. So - in actuality I was pretty far behind them.

I plugged through and tried to keep my pace in the 7:30-7:45 range. Just before the turnaround I heard someone say 'Jeff!' - it was Rich from my work, who sits in the cube adjacent from mine. He was volunteering handing out water and sponges with his daughter's girl scout trip. Pretty cool - didn't expect to see him that day.

Pretty soon I went through the Colts Neck and South Lakes tunnels, and after that second tunnel I heard the crowd and the announcer. The only problem was the big hill I had to get up before being able to get into the stadium. That hill - in pgamike's words 'Was not nice'. Ouch - indeed it was not. Very painful. It took me a few hundred yards to recover from that, but thankfully by the time I actually got onto the track I was ready for a final kick.

I came around the track and started to sprint as soon as I was in the final straightaway. I saw that the race clock was just under 2:24, and I was racing the clock to come in under that mark. I just barely made it!

Felt awesome...

I looked down at my Garmin and it showed I had come in around 46 min. I was very pleased as that is within 2 min of my fresh 10k PR.

Not much. This was a good run for me and I pushed it as hard as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my water bottle and wet towel and went around the track to where the runners were entering to wait for my buddy Dave, who I had seen in the last mile (and gave a big running high-five to) and knew must be pretty close behind me.

I saw Dave come through and congratulated him on finishing his first Olympic. We hung around for abit wating for my friend Sarah who I knew was in the last swim wave.

As we were waiting I saw a guy who looked like BT'er 'pgamike', so I took a chance and said to him 'Mike?'. It was him indeed! It was great to meet him in person and we chatted for a long while. He mentioned that another avid BT'er - hooslisa - had raced as well and pointed her out. I said hi to her later while getting some coffee at the food stand, but she seemed a bit weirded out by some strange dude recognizing her (sorry!).

Dave and I waited a long, long time for Sarah. We figured she must have had some kind of equipment issue, because if she had finished she would have been done by then (she's a real fastie).

I was ready to take off after seeing my time on the printout, but Dave wanted to stick around for the awards. I knew I hadn't placed (hadn't even come close time-wise!) and he was behind be time-wise, but I hung around anyway. Once we heard the time of the third place person in our age group (2:05!) we just laughed and headed for the exit.

I went to T2, got my phone, and saw that Sarah did in fact have an issue - with her (new) wetsuit, and had to DNF. That really stunk, and I felt for her given my unfortunate experience at the Kinetic earlier in the year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of a bike bling

Event comments:

I'll be back again for sure next year. Great race.

Last updated: 2010-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:57 | 1760 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/54
Overall: 31/385
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex3 Fullsuit
Course: Out and back in a lake/large pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:51 | 22.3 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/54
Overall: 126/385
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Moderately hilly suburban roads. Wet with leaves and debris on the road. Rough road in parts.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/54
Overall: 49/385
Course: Paved trails though woodlands. Wet. Moderately hilly with a couple of steep parts that were short (no more than 10/20 yards each).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes