Outback Events
17C / 63F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 09m 33s
Overall Rank = 8/106
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Fly in to Vancouver on the Friday before. Not much training the last couple of weeks because of recovery from IMC. Out to Cultus Lake for a swim on the day before and that was about it.
Event warmup:

A quick, quick swim. Didn't have a lot of time to work with to get a better warm-up in.
Swim
  • 29m 27s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really don't get it. Just when you think the swim can't get any worse I lay down a shit time like this. I actually felt fast in the water, and didn't think there was more than a dozen guys in front of me.

In defense to my shit time I heard a couple guys talk that the swim course was long. I'd say it'd have to be 1650m...but whatever.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I passed 6 people in T1, including 3 in my own AG. I did this pretty quick considering I put on my shoes in there and ran in them instead of pre-clipping them in my shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 45s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.96 km/hr
Comments:

It was raining heavily already and just continued during the bike. I thought I was pushing it hard, but I think I lost focus on the course. My time is a little slower than I was hoping for.

I passed a lot of people right from the beginning of the bike, including a group of 5 people that basically rode together and drafted each other illegally the whole time. A few of these people podiumed their AG so I hope their happy with their cheater medals. As I reached the turn around I counted that I was in 9th spot and quite a ways back from 6-8 spots, who all seemed to be riding together too...or at least quite close together.

For the return trip back to T2 I was by myself the whole time. Couldn't even see the guys in front of me, nor could I see the guy who would be in 10th spot behind me. I think this is why I lost focus. Plus, the wind was picking up too and combined with the rain, I think I just zoned out.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get better at staying 100% focused for the 40k. No Day dreaming!
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Really fast. Felt good.
Run
  • 30m 40s
  • 8 kms
  • 03m 50s  min/km
Comments:

I came out of T2 blazing fast. Felt great and felt fast. Pulled back the reigns a bit so I didn't burn out.

As we approach the end of the first loop I finally see the guy in front of me. He makes the turn for the second loop and I knew I could catch the guy. I also notice at this point the first loop was only 4k...WTF?!?! This race is going to be short. I push a little harder now. I pass the 8th place guy at about the 5.5k mark. I'm locked into this position now, I'm thinking. The guy in 7th is about ahead by a bit and I won't be able to catch him in time even though I'm gaining on him.

The guy who I pass is tracking with me a bit. He's trying to keep me in reach for a sprint finish. Sorry, not happening on my watch. As I turn the final turn I surge forward because I know I'll be out of his eye sight for several seconds. I'm hoping I made some good ground. I glance back with about 700m to go. He's coming strong at me so I push again. He has no chance and I pass the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

If I knew it was only an 8k run I'd have pushed out of the gate faster.
Post race
Warm down:

There was pizza, cookies and chips at the end. I had a couple slices of pizza and some water. The awards ceremony immediatly followed and I won my age group and got a medal for it.

Event comments:

Up to this point I've always been fairly happy with the races I've done...but there's first for everything.

The Good: The backdrop to the course is quite nice. Cultus Lake is a nice place for a race. The water was warm and clean. The post race pizza was top notch too.

The Bad: The most obvious peeve I have is the short run. I'm not talking about a couple hundred meters short, I'm talking about a full 2k+ short. Total BS. One of my goals since I started triathlon in 2008 was to run a sub 40m 10k in a race. I knew I could have done it this year and I feel cheated out of a major goal of mine and have to wait until next year now. I'm also quite positive I could have gained 1 or 2 more overall positions in the final 2k.
Also, the swim was long by at least 100m. I have no doubt. So they lengthen my worst sport and shorten my best. Not impressed. To further add some insult, my friend who raced the whole race somehow doesn't show up on the results...WTH?!?! He figured he'd be about 58th position but to not have an official result is bush league.

The Ugly: worst shirt I've ever got for a race. It's brown with bright green lettering. They should have put the logo that was on the back in the front. It says in bright green lettering 2010 on the front. Thats the biggest thing and then you see Cultus Lake Tri. Poor font color choice and poor design, IMO.

Last updated: 2010-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:27 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/17
Overall: 6/106
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:45 | 40 kms | 35.96 km/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 7/106
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:40 | 08 kms | 03m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 7/106
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-09-16 2:52 PM

Regular
Subject: Cultus Lake Triathlon

2010-09-16 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3102738

User image

Subject: RE: Cultus Lake Triathlon
Couldn't agree more about the short run. The funny thing is, last year I did the sprint and it was short. There was an apology on the website for the course foul up but then they did it again this year!

Great job on winning the a/g! Sadly, it is my a/g too. I may have managed to outswim you but by the looks of things you demolished me in every other facet of the race. Nice work. Hopefully they'll get the run right by next year as it is a fun, scenic course.

Matt
2010-09-21 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3103489

Regular
Subject: RE: Cultus Lake Triathlon

I saw that the race was short last year and was actually wondering how it would play out for this race.  Their website and technical guide both say the run is 10k and somebody told me that the prior year's short run was a simple mistake that would be corrected.  I guess not. 

I wouldn't be that upset except I've had this sub 40 minute goal for a long time in my life.  This was the race I planned on doing it.  I've had a great year with running - getting in tons of kms and staying injury free.  Now I have to hope that next year I'll be able to stay injury free and get in the same sort of mileage, which will be tough to do.

Anyway, I read your RR.  Good race out there.  I guess I must have past you early into the bike.  Keep at it and train that bike during the winter months and you'll be screaming fast next season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cultus Lake Triathlon Rss Feed