General Discussion Race Reports! » Tawas Triathlon Festival - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tawas Triathlon Festival - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tawas, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 21s
Overall Rank = 6/148
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

We got into Tawas on Thursday afternoon and got settled at the cottage on Lake Huron, which is about 10 minutes south of town. It is the same place we stayed last year and loved it. Hit up G's pizza and had way too much to drink..haha. I was on vacation :)
Friday I wanted to take a practice swim in front of the cottage. I got my wetsuit on, went to the water and my feet went into an ice box..had to be low 50 degree water. 3D was reporting 67 at the City beach so I went down there instead and it was much warmer. I guess the protection of the bay did not turn the water over as fast. I went for a 30 minute bike ride to check out the new run course and first portion of the bike course. I went for a swim after and just did the sprint course. I love swimming in Lake Huron. It was cold but very clear.
I had the standard chicken and rice the night before and got to bed pretty early.
Event warmup:

Got up at 5:45 and took a shower and body glided. Had a bagel and peanut butter. Made my infinit for the bike and then sipped gatorade all morning. It was pretty dam cold down by the water before the start so I put my wetsuit on and a jacket over until the start.
They did a 9/11 tribute and sang the national anthem before the swim start for the HIM.
The water temperature was reported as 58 degrees and there was a 1-2' chop on the lake so they ended up shortening the swim course for the HIM athletes to Oly distance. I guess they thought the waves were going to pick up in the next half hour or so. I had swam in these conditions in Lake Michigan so was not really worried just knew a PR was not likely this day...which is fine.
The HIM folks went first and Olympic 30 minutes later. As we watched them go down it was obvious that 50% were planning to walk the swim. Then as we are about to go off there are HIM athletes coming directly into us on the wrong side of the buoys..oh boy this is going to be fun..
Swim
  • 29m 34s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started near the buoy line and the water was about waist deep. As the gun went I dolphin dived and started stroking. The waves were really tossing you around and with people around you it was tough for the first 50 meters until it cleared out quite a bit. I moved closer to the buoy line as the swim went along to get in some deeper water where the waves were not so bad. The closer to shore the worse the waves were. The first out section was pretty brutal with the waves and chop although it seemed a bit down current.
I made it to the turn buoy and headed straight into the waves out into the bay for 20 meters or so. After I made the turn, I got into a really good rythem and was able to breathe and move with the waves pretty well. It was a bit tough to site the buoys so had to breastroke a couple times to get bearings. I made the final turn into shore and dolphin dived a couple times due to the shallows.
I was just hoping to be under 30 minutes honestly...when the first HIM athlete came in in 25 minutes for the Oly distance I knew it was going to be a tough swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

1st AG 8th OA
This is a long run to the transition area - across the park and US23 - down an alley to the large TA. I decided to take my wetsuit off on the concrete landing just off the beach. Last year, I waited until transition to get it off and I was so winded from the run that it took forever. This year it went real smooth.

Had trouble getting my helmet buckled - took 10 more seconds than it should have.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped on the bike and got right after it. I pushed the first couple miles pretty hard and as we got on to Monument I settled into a nice pace. I was able to pass quite a few people on this ride and was only passed (1) time and I passed him back on the run. I got to 15K or so and passed back and forth a couple times with a guy until 20K or so and then flew by him and lost him on a long gradual uphill portion. The last 10K of the ride the wind was straight into the grill but still felt like I was riding well. The sprint athletes mixed in on the tail end and that was sketchy. They prefer to ride close to the centerline of the road and quite slow so giving the "on your left" line was communicated quite a bit. Everyone was good about moving over after that and do not think I scared anybody so thats good.

Probably could have pushed harder but probably would have affected my run quite a bit..pretty happy here.

I really need to do more Theshold workouts throughout the year. Thinking Endurance Nation type plan next year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

1st AG 2nd OA
Get in...Get out..Maybe I should write a book!

Nothing - good transition
Run
  • 42m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I pretty much know coming out of transition whether the run is going to be good or not...and today I knew I was going to run pretty strong. The first portion of the run course is a long straight section and there were quite a few sprint athletes on the course. As we got to the first mile another athlete passed me and he was running just a couple seconds per mile faster but did not want to push quite yet. He went and I just used him as a guide to keep running strong. I passed 2 more athletes before the turnaround and kept the pace steady. I was alternating water and gatorade at each station and stomach was getting a little full but not too bad. The way back I was able to stay strong and there was nobody on my heels and cruised into the finish line..not before losing my race belt while adjusting it..had to go back and get that..then I crossed the finish line. The new finish line was great on Newman Street..loved it.

Nothing - glad to run well!
Post race
Warm down:

Felt great after the race - just chatted with some athletes and drank some gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really wish I could have kept my Threshold fitness on the bike throughout the year but HIM training kind of slowed me down a bit.

Event comments:

I love this race and thought 3D get a good job with everything. The swim and bike course are awesome and I really liked the new run course layout.
The volunteers were plentiful and directed traffic well. The new finish line layout was also very nice. They basically shut down downtown Tawas for the event and the locals seem to love hosting it.
I will be back next year..HIM or Olympic?? Not sure yet.

Last updated: 2010-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:34 | 1650 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 27/148
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: Lake Huron - parallel to shore for 700 meters; left turn and 20 meters into the bay; 700 meters back parallel to the shore in deeper water; 80 meters into shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:37 | 24.85 miles | 22.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 6/148
Wind: Some
Course: Great course in the Huron National Forest - Out and Back on Monument Road - slightly rolling with some false flats - fast course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:43 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 9/148
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back on Lincoln - Aid every mile'ish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-16 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Tawas Triathlon Festival - Olympic

2010-09-16 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3102941

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tawas Triathlon Festival - Olympic

Nice race speedy!  Maybe will finally get a chance to meet next year if thing's work out were planning on going back.  We can meet at G's as we always seem to end up there.  I'm thinking of giving the Endurance Nation plans a try too.

2010-09-16 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3102941

Subject: RE: Tawas Triathlon Festival - Olympic
Nice race Ryan.  I enjoyed reading about your HIM experiences earlier this year and was hoping to see you out on the long course in Tawas.  Maybe next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tawas Triathlon Festival - Olympic Rss Feed