General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dumb Question of the Day - Stationary Bike Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-16 6:18 PM

Subject: Dumb Question of the Day - Stationary Bike Training
So is training on a stationary bike equivalent to training on a real bike?

I'm thinking about attempting a triathlon, and intend to keep running, and add cycling to my regiment.  Unfortunately I travel a lot for work, so I cant always use my bike.

i ask this because a treadmill is nothing like running for real.

2010-09-16 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3103195

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: Dumb Question of the Day - Stationary Bike Training
I started my triathlon training last winter on a stationary bike in my college gym and thought that I was doing really well.  Then it got warm and I went out on my bike and didn't do as well as I expected.  I definitely feel that the training on the stationary bike helped but there is no substitute for the real thing.  This winter I have a bike trainer and I'll see how that goes.  I guess rollers would be better, but I don't have them.
2010-09-17 3:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
You can make it what you want it to be.  Upping the resistance on a stationary bike will make it harder.  Lowering will allow you to get higher RPM's.

I use Fluid Cycleops trainer and i find that its actually harder to ride, even at lower speeds, since you have to constantly pedal.  There is no coasting, no downtime unless you completely stop.

I heard or read somewhere that riding an hour on a trainer is like riding 1.2 hours, or something like that, outside.  So training on a bike trainer is good but getting outside once in a while gives you the experience of riding among cars, people and animals. 

Maks
2010-09-17 3:44 AM
in reply to: #3103625

User image

New Haven, CT

the answer is: no, its not.  but that doesn't mean you can't get a good workout on it. you need to ride your bike outside to get the the most specific bike workout.  but that is not always possible so when necessary use the stationary bike, spin class and trainer to make due.

2010-09-17 4:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
IMO, the benefit depends at least partly on the kind of stationary bike you're using.... The electronic-type exercise bikes on many gym floors (LifeCycle, etc.) have minimal cross-over benefit (again, IMO - take it for what it's worth!) Your position on those bikes is SO different than on a "real" bike that it's difficult to get close to the same kind of muscle movement. If you can access "spinner" type stationary bikes, it's possible to get much closer to your own bike set-up (though not exactly), the resistance is more realistic, and I think you can actually get a pretty decent cycling workout on that kind of bike. All things considered, the order of preference would be: Your bike outdoors > your bike on a trainer > spinner-type stationary bike > LifeCycle-type stationary bike > nothing at all! In the end, you're gonna have to make due with what you have access to! If all you can use is an electronic exercise bike, then using that is going to beat sitting in your hotel room watching TV.....
2010-09-17 6:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Axis of Weasel - 2010-09-16 7:18 PM So is training on a stationary bike equivalent to training on a real bike?

I'm thinking about attempting a triathlon, and intend to keep running, and add cycling to my regiment.  Unfortunately I travel a lot for work, so I cant always use my bike.

is it as good as actually riding? No

Is it better than sitting on the couch eating bon bons?  You bet!

If its all you got then go with it. You'd be better off with a trainer using your own bike but if you are in hotels and all you have is a stationary in the hotel gym, then use it.

2010-09-17 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3103697

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Not the same, but better than nothing.

Put your bike on a computrainer, or rollers, or even a trainer, and you are getting closer.

2010-09-17 7:05 AM

User image

On your right

As a general rule, riding your bike outside will be the best option for improvement.  There have been some people that have done a LOT of gym-bike riding and had solid improvements though.  It's really all about what you put into it.  If you are on your own bike just coasting around but at the gym you crank the resistance and hammer, you'll likely have more improvement from your gym riding.

So ultimately, I think the best answer is also the least helpful, which is "It depends on you."

2014-12-19 2:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Training on a stationary is essential, but the type of bike makes all the difference. Ideally, it should have a bike computer (example: http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-6009890876947/freemotion-s11-9-carbon-dr... ) that indicates at least your speed, your distance, your RPM, and it should also have SPD clips so that you can train as though you're on a bike.

This bike ( http://www.thefitnessoutlet.com/freemotion-s11-9-carbon-drive-bike.... ) is the one I that use at the gym I go to.

What does the stationary do for you? You can increase the resistance, and you can make the ride harder than it would be on a real bike. The idea is to train so hard and so well that racing your real bike is easy. It's also beneficial for you to see your RPMs so that you can "learn" the feel of 90 RPM until it becomes second nature.

My method is to train the distance of the race (24.8, or basically 25 miles). I consistently complete that in 58 minutes. The particular bike that I linked (above) is very true to real time for the effort that you put out, and will give feedback from your workout that is within 3 minutes of real time. The three extra minutes in real time can be accounted for the fact that the clock is counting on 1) running from T-1 and mounting/clipping-in, 2) turns and turn-arounds for loops or course navigation, 3) dismounting and running the bike to T-2. Also, real-life racing can have accidents (I've had one myself), and a few people will alway blow a tube, which means at least 5 minted of tube changing (if they have the repair kit on the seat, otherwise it's a walk).

I got a bit side-tracked, but the idea of the stationary is to work on your technique, your power and your endurance in all phases of the stroke (especially the up-stroke). And practice with the seat high and bars low, just as you would in the race, with the 15 to 20% decline from the hips down to the elbows (example: http://www.cobbcycling.com/blog%20images/3.3.png).

Good luck!

Edited by navamanas 2014-12-19 2:17 PM
2014-12-19 3:42 PM
in reply to: navamanas

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I think a stationary bike, although not the "same" as outdoor riding, is still better than "better than nothing"...

Your heart/lungs/legs really don't know the different if your doing 30mph down the road or sitting on a stationary in front of the TV.

Some things I see as easier on a trainer:

• Interval training.  Crank up the resistance for the allotted time and go.  No traffic/traffic lights to mess up your intervals.
  • Weather considerations
  • Hill repeats (unless you can find the perfect hill in the real world) for the same reason as interval training.
  • LT testing (if you are not concerned about pace).  Again, very consistent without hills or traffic messing up the test.
  • Less opportunity to "cheat" by coasting/freewheeling on the downhills if you don't adjust tension.  If you want a long Z2 workout?  Just set the tension to what gets you there and grind it out.
  • Light - In the winter, it's hard to get outside after work so I chose the trainer.

Outdoor riding obviously improves your bike handling skills and also puts in situation you have to adjust like in a race (wreathing, wind, hills).  Plus for me, it's PAINFUL (mentally) to be on a trainer for more than 60 minutes.  I can grind it out, but it sucks.

I would chose to ride outside if I could, but there are some real positives/purposes for a trainer ride, IMO.

2014-12-19 3:53 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Not sure if by "stationary" you mean a gym bike, like a lifecycle, or your (OP) bike on a trainer.  They're both stationary, but vasstly different in effectiveness.

If the former, then as others have said not ideal but better than nothing.

If the latter, major gains can be achieved by a combination of trainer riding (and outdoor riding for handling skills and sanity's sake).   If you have a program to follow, that is.

I do 2X week on a computrainer and outside on weekends.  I get a much better and more efficient weekday workout on the computrainer (watching amazon prime/hbo etc) in a strucutred program than I would in an equivalent outdoor time (and don't need to worry about lights, traffic, darkness, etc.)

2014-12-19 4:53 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not ideal but definitely better than nothing. Prior to getting my trainer I did most of my bike training on a stationary (not a Lifecycle, it is electronic but the position's a bit more like a road bike than a lot of gym stationaries). I still use it once every week or two, for more complicated workouts with a lot of different effort levels, or when it happens to fit my schedule better to bike in the evening after work. What was useful for me was that I could ride it any time, indoors in a place with good air quality (I have asthma, and the pollution here can trigger it, esp.when cycling with all the exhuast from cars, burning garbage, etc.), no traffic so I could totally focus on the workout, and the bike also has a watt meter so I can structure workouts by power. It's important to set the resistance so your cadence at different effort levels is similar to that on a road bike (80-90 for most people). A lot of the gym bikes have a really big range of resistance and you can either spin at ridiculous cadences and accomplish little training, or wreck your knees, if you don't set it right.

Yes, own bike in trainer is better,but I went from a BOP to FMOP cyclist that way. (About 1:17 for Oly; I'm a 45 year old woman and this usually gets me in the top 1/3 for my age group, not as good as my swim or run but even with my trainer I'm not really any faster.) I felt like doing consistent, power based workouts (Jorge's cycling program on this site) was most important, rather than what I was training on. Whatever allows you to ride consistently is best. However, if you're not using the same bike each time, you should probably train by effort rather than HR since each bike is calibrated a little differently. Ideal would be own bike with a power meter or Computrainer setup. I would definitely do that if I could afford it.
2014-12-19 5:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Axis of Weasel So is training on a stationary bike equivalent to training on a real bike?

Quite a few top triathletes spend a lot of time on the treadmill/trainer.

Andy Potts does a ton of indoor training, year round.

A recent Mens Kona AG world champion recently switched all his bike training to a Kickr, and had equally top results. 

Lionel Sanders (up and coming IM competitor/winner) has posted a few videos on some 'epic' indoor training days, like 5 hours+ of bike+run on trainer+treadmill an I believe he regularly uses these tools. 

I could go on and on, but it's pretty established now that indoor training on treadmills and indoor trainers are 100% legit even for world-class triathletes, so i will definitely be good enough for us AGers, even if it replaces the bulk of outdoor training. 

Edited by yazmaster 2014-12-19 5:34 PM
2014-12-19 6:42 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

I'm not sure why you think that treadmill running isn't like "real" running. It is-- it's just a different surface to run on. If you do all your running on the track, you might not be as prepared for an outdoor marathon as someone who runs all on roads, but it's still running. The treadmill is more similar to track than road, but it's still running (and I know several people who do most or all of their running on treadmills to prepare for road races).

As for "stationary bike" as others have said, there are many types-- A typical gym stationary bike (like a LifeCycle) is pretty different from road cycling. The position is different, the feel, the revolution size, etc. But you can get decent training on a spin bike or a bike on a trainer (those issues have already been addressed above).
2014-12-19 6:44 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Training indoors on your bicycle can be more difficult than riding outdoors. What? No traffic, no potholes, no stop signs, no traffic lights, coasting down hills "on the right trainer". Yes, your indoor workout can be physically tougher than riding outdoors. It is easy to make this a real workout with the right software and/or hardware. Any working stiff can tell you, it is difficult to find enough daylight hours to ride outdoors during the work week. Better yet, riding indoors can be more time efficient than going outdoors. As stated before, Andy Potts is just one of the pros that spend a lot of time riding indoors. Good luck.
2014-12-19 7:21 PM
in reply to: navamanas

Master
Northern IL

Gosh, I hope the OP has been doing ok with this the past four years.

2014-12-22 12:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Doh, sucked in!

2014-12-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Originally posted by brigby1

Yes but if the was the question of the day then tomorrow we can answer his 4 year old question from the next day.
2014-12-23 9:27 AM

User image

Crap I hate when that happens. There should be a law against reviving zombie threads.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dumb Question of the Day - Stationary Bike Training Rss Feed