Tawas, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 173/173
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at the Hotel at 2230 Friday night. I was up at 0200 and the body said, hey it's nighttime you should be awake. So I watched TV and the family sleep until 6. Packed up my gear and went to the transistion area.

Oh at 5 I had my bagle and bowl of Kashi
Event warmup:

Nothing, but got my self wet
Swim
  • 41m 46s
  • 1650 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim really sucked. These people that think a shallow swim course means walk the whole thing should be DQ'd. I am not talking about the ones that stop to gather themselves but the blantant running back and forth on the swim course. Some are actually running on the wrong side of the bouys and getting in the way of other waves coming out.

Besides that the course seemed cool
What would you do differently?:

I need more time in the big lakes. I was not ready for the waves at all. My sighting was a little better then TRI for Life, but I was getting tossed around.
Transition 1
  • 06m 22s
Comments:

Feet were numb for the run up from the swim. I decided on the way up to pull off my sleeveless top and put on my long sleeve bike jersey.

Pratice
Bike
  • 3h 38m
  • 56 miles
  • 15.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Great course and not to many cars.

Bike is too small or my fit is way off. The lower back pain and the cramps between my blades started 50 minutes in. By the time I hit the bike station on the way back I got off to pee and was cramped over. Around the 52 mile mark I stopped and stretched my back and shoulders.

I've done longer rides so I am not sure what the problem was
Transition 2
  • 05m 22s
Comments:

Finally out of my bike shoes and into running shoes. My feet begin to warm up.

Run
  • 3h 06m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

On the second lap my area behind my right knee and down both sides was really sore. Soon it causeing me to change my stride and favor that side. Then I could not strike the ground. I started running 5 minutes and walking. It got worse to the point that I pretty muched walked the last 4 miles

I did start out good and some pictures my wife took on the first loop shoes I am striking well.

More Bricks. This was the longest I tried to run. The longest solo run all summer was 9 miles. The lack of long runs and bricks showed in my joints not holding up.

My balls of my feeet were also swollen from my soft shoes hitting the stones on the side of the road. I ran on the side thinking the ground would be easier on my legs

Post race
Warm down:

In the rain I went back to the hotel and took 2 aleves and a long hot shower. Then I went down and had some of the food that ws included int the race price. My wife and daughter stayed in the room and ordered pizza and bread sticks. I came back to the room and ate some of that food.

I said I ws going to take a 30 minute nap. Well the day caught up to me and I slept until the news was on that night. I was up for 5 minutes and went back to sleep until the next morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and experiance

Event comments:

I'll be back. It was fun and I learned from it. I think I was in better bike/run shape in July and June of this year. The month of August I really slacked up and maybe trained 10 days the whole month. It showed, my bike times were off a good 3 miles per hour and my run was slower.

Since I am staying on 3rd shift I need to stay on the train after work schedule. This time I tried after work in the morning and when I got up in the afternoon. This caused problems both at home and maintaing the planned schedule.

Last updated: 2010-02-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:46 | 1650 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/173
Performance: Below average
Suit: Desoto
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:22
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:38:00 | 56 miles | 15.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/173
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Great course wind seemed strong on the way back.
Road:   Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal