General Discussion Race Reports! » Kirkland's Triathlon at Carillon Point - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kirkland's Triathlon at Carillon Point - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kirkland, Washington
United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 30s
Overall Rank = 15/557
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/19
Pre-race routine:

Had a cup and a half of oatmeal, and five egg whites. Popped a 5-Hour Energy five minutes before the first wave went off (had a nice 4-hour sleep the night before). Saw that Ray Maker (of DCRainmaker blog fame) was in my wave for the swim and chatted for a couple of seconds.
Event warmup:

A whopping 2.5 minutes of swimming prior to my wave start.
Swim
  • 12m 18s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was alright. I still remember my awful experience at the Olympic at Lake Meridian, where I froze up and had to stop for a minute. Water temp in Lake Washington was 65, and I think I like that a lot. Here, I was cruising the whole time. Probably started slower than I should have, but got in a groove. Couldn't draft off of anybody to save my life, though, and I lost at least 30 seconds running into lateral breaststrokers from the previous two waves. No logic in having 29-and-unders go after the 30-34 women, and the Athena/Clydesdale waves. I'm definitely doing elite wave next year, or nothing.
What would you do differently?:

Nada; huge confidence builder. Definitely could have pressed a lot harder, and will next time, but had to make sure that I was comfortable enough to race without freezing up. Really excited for Black Diamond next weekend.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Time is bad, but the transition was long, and transition zone was huge. Actually got disoriented/lost for 10-15 seconds as I took my wetsuit off. Actually got my suit off pretty quickly too. Probably 20-30 seconds I can lop off with practice, but I'll worry about that in the offseason.

Practice wetsuit stripping, though I was pretty quick nonetheless.
Bike
  • 35m 18s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Hilly, hilly, hilly. Really quite fun, too, but way too many people to pass, which frustrated me. Plus, once I started hitting the big hills, I lost my small ring, and had to ride a 54-23 at my easiest, which killed my quads. Nonetheless, I did as well as I could hope. Only 3 minutes off of the best time, and I lost about 10-15 seconds clipping in poorly, at least a half minute because of no small ring, and at least the same dodging people. Very happy.

Handling skills need to improve though :)

Clean my drivetrain better before racing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Everything went without hitch, though I forgot to take my Garmin off the bike. Only lost 20 seconds off the fastest transition, and I can cut that off if I practice getting my feet out of my shoes quicker. Got my helmet off fine, and my race belt on well.

Practice getting out of shoes before dismount, and remembering to take my Garmin off the bike.
Run
  • 19m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were busted from the hills, and the run course goes uphill for the first half. I felt terrible during this period, and just didn't want to run. Guy I had been biking with killed me, and should've tried following him. Last half mile I could've run A LOT faster; really disappointed with myself for mentally lapsing. Could've/should've moved up one more position in my AG, but just kind of slacked.

I need to train harder paces so I don't hate them when I race, even though I'm capable of them right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe a lack of sleep and a little dehydation, but that would've been minimal.

Event comments:

Enjoyed the race, but disliked the wave setup enough to move down 4.

Last updated: 2010-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:18 | 880 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 21/557
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:35:18 | 12 miles | 20.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 13/557
Performance:
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:17 | 03.11 miles | 06m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 22/557
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-18 8:42 PM

Regular
Seattle, WA
Subject: Kirkland's Triathlon at Carillon Point - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kirkland's Triathlon at Carillon Point - Sprint Course Rss Feed