United States
Duxbury Beach Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 13s
Overall Rank = 155/567
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/42
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30am, bowl of cereal, hot shower, 1 cup of coffee, and water.
Event warmup:

Jogged the bridge down and back, alot of stretching, eventually made way over to start to do a quick 10 minute swim warm-up and to use to cold water temps.
Swim
  • 12m 37s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Tried to start towards front to avoid madness. Swim went well, played bumper cars with a couple of guys who were drifting all over the place. Found open water and moved past them. Toes were nearly numb coming up to shore at finish. You were really only able to gently walk over shore coming out of water due to rocks. Have a nice cut on both feet from that.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Transition went well. I take the extra 10-15 seconds or so to put on sock. Feet get chewed up biking and running with sandy feet and no socks.

Nothing
Bike
  • 38m 28s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I ride this course every couple of weeks in training, so I new what to expect throughout the ride. Love this big seg. nice rolling hills with smooth roads. Got tough calves cramps in both legs in final 2 miles of bike course. Not sure why?

Actually held back for first 1/3 of course, didn't go out as hard as I expected.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Helmet off, running shoes on, went well. Spent a quick 5-7 seconds to stretch both calves--had cramping in both calves on last 2 miles of bike seg.

nothing
Run
  • 24m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

After both calves cramped on the bike I was worried at first about the run, but after a quick stretch in T2, no problems on the run. Passed a few folks, and then got passed by a few new folks. Overall happy with run. Have been training at sub 7 minute/mile, but haven't been able to repeat on race day. Happy to run less then 8 minute/mile average.

Need to work on getting breathing established, couldn't seem to get in groove until after 2 mile mark.
Post race
Warm down:

Drink water and gatorade, snacked on 1/2 bagel and banana. Did alot of stretching. I always go back to the finish line to watch others finish. Reminds me of how fortuanate Iam to be able to compete and have fun doing triathlons. Motivating to see others also cross/finish a race regardless of placing or time!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bilateral leg cramping, made me slow up somewhat on final 2 to 3 miles of race.

Event comments:

I bike, run, and swim this course or part off it all summer long since its in the town right next door. Great area to train. Usually not much traffic, great scenery, and its all neighborhoods. Only one crazy rotary which was very well patrolled on race day. Look forward to doing this race next year. Now I know why this venue sells out every year! Great course for first time/newbie athletes.

Last updated: 2010-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:37 | 880 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/567
Performance: Good
Suit: FULL
Course: Swim west to east right along south side of Powder point bridge. Buoys place wider at start and middle of course then, tapered near end portion. Pretty much straight shot across with no turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:28 | 13 miles | 20.28 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Nice rolling course, slightly hilly if anything. Smooth and clean roads. Great setting through neighborhoods. All major intersections patrolled well by local police. Support from observers just sitting outside their homes cheering. Only hard part was the 1/2 mile bridge at the beginning and ending--wooden planked bridge equals rougher ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:17 | 03.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Course: Across bridge, through shaded neighborhood, looping back to cross bridge again, sharp left turn with a few feet of running on sand to finish line. Water station available at start of run and around 1.5 mile mark. Mainly flat with only a couple very small rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes