General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi, first triathlon need help. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-19 12:09 PM

Medina
Subject: Hi, first triathlon need help.

Hi my names Scott.  I did my first triathlon today (sprint).  It was kind of a spare of the moment thing last week when I signed up.  I’ve only been training a month when I bought a new bike.  I ran 2-3 days maybe and was in the water only once.  Surprisingly it went well besides the run.  I’ve always had a problem with cramps under the left or right rib.  Some days it doesn’t hurt at all, some days the left, a month later the right.  It’s called a side stitch also I think.  I can start to feel it come on and then boom!  Worst pain ever, like a knife in my side!  Today I drank Gatorade Pro 2 with a packet of electrolytes during the bike.  It said the packet should stop cramps and I only took it as a precaution.  Well it didn’t work.  I also changed my breathing to different steps but I still had to stop 3 times.    I just wish there was some key food or drink that would not let them happen!!  The third time I ran last week I did a 5k in 19.35, the week before a 10k in 45min.  Both times I felt fine.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what I should do?  When riding sometimes I can feel them lingering but never incapacitate me like a run.  I definitely lost 2 minutes or so because of stopping and walking and while I don’t have my times yet I know I was nowhere near my 6-7 minute mile pace.  Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks Scott   

Edited by synolimit 2010-09-19 12:19 PM

2010-09-19 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3106688

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Hi, first triathlon need help.
First off, welcome to BT, and congrats on your first race!

As The Bear has said in a recent post (and many time before, I'm sure) - and I 100% agree with him...

Folks like to blame side-stitches on nutrition issues, but that's VERY rarely (if ever) the culprit - the issue is that you are asking too much of your body. They are a sign that you are going too hard.

Look for issues in the pacing of your race, not your nutrition plan.

Cheers, Chris

EDIT:  @The Bear - if I am misinterpreting you above there, please correct as necessary

Edited by Hydro 2010-09-19 1:17 PM
2010-09-19 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
How much did you drink (volume) during the bike?  I'm wondering if having too much to drink before the 5K can have an impact.  But if the pain under the ribs has occurred before, might be something else, unless you're drinking too much regularly during runs etc.
2010-09-19 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
What kind of running background do you have? How frequently do you run, how far, etc. For most people, side stitches are a fitness issue, meaning you need to work on building your running fitness to address the problem. My guess is that you are not running a lot right now, and that when you do run, you try to do it too fast (hence the side stitches). The best way to improve your run fitness is (shockingly)... to run more. But for now run more at an easy pace. As your run fitness improves, you'll be able to add in some harder/faster efforts to your runs, but for now, just slow down and run more. I betcha a buck it'll solve your problem!

Edited by jsnowash 2010-09-19 2:20 PM
2010-09-19 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3106728

Medina
Hydro - 2010-09-19 2:05 PM First off, welcome to BT, and congrats on your first race!

As The Bear has said in a recent post (and many time before, I'm sure) - and I 100% agree with him...

Folks like to blame side-stitches on nutrition issues, but that's VERY rarely (if ever) the culprit - the issue is that you are asking too much of your body. They are a sign that you are going too hard.

Look for issues in the pacing of your race, not your nutrition plan.

Cheers, Chris

EDIT:  @The Bear - if I am misinterpreting you above there, please correct as necessary

hmm, never thought of that before and your understanding of everything is correct.  i can say that they have happened in top shape and just starting out like now.  back in high school swimming the only cramps i got were in the bridge of my feet some times.  always from pushing off the wall hard with my feet still streamline.  that tight flex made a golf ball appear in my foot and hurt like no other. 
2010-09-19 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3106737

Medina
reecealan - 2010-09-19 2:17 PM How much did you drink (volume) during the bike?  I'm wondering if having too much to drink before the 5K can have an impact.  But if the pain under the ribs has occurred before, might be something else, unless you're drinking too much regularly during runs etc.

just 2/3's of one bottle during and one bottle of water like 45 min before the race.  i normally never drink at all.  back in high school they yelled at me all the time for never bringing a water bottle or anything. 

2010-09-19 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3106812

Medina
jsnowash - 2010-09-19 3:20 PM What kind of running background do you have? How frequently do you run, how far, etc. For most people, side stitches are a fitness issue, meaning you need to work on building your running fitness to address the problem. My guess is that you are not running a lot right now, and that when you do run, you try to do it too fast (hence the side stitches). The best way to improve your run fitness is (shockingly)... to run more. But for now run more at an easy pace. As your run fitness improves, you'll be able to add in some harder/faster efforts to your runs, but for now, just slow down and run more. I betcha a buck it'll solve your problem!

just soccer back in high school and 400m dash in track.  in the past month just ran 2-3 times.  5k or 10k for time is all really.  well i guess ill start stepping it up then.  i just have a mind set coming from swimming thats its so hard and biking builds endurance, that i can just let that the run come naturally.  lol its definitely not as fun as swimming or biking!
2011-04-30 5:04 PM

Medina

Hello,

Bumping my old thread because guess what?  It was my first tri of the year today and ive been going at it for a solid 2 months this time.  Swim felt great, slow and relaxed!  Biking was on a stationary bike with low resistance and it was weird how they did it.  The bike said 16 miles but they told us it was more like 12 miles in real life and because the resistance was so low it was real easy on my legs and body and only took 24 minutes.  

Once again though about a mile in the run i got a huge cramp and had to stop.  This time it was also the right side just under my rib and the second Ab muscle from the top like in a six pack.  This has been the same place as my first triathlon last year and i did a 7 mile leg in the Akron Marathon last fall.  Funning thing is the tri today went over a part of my marathon leg from the fall.  And both times in the same spot of the course is where it happened.  It was running down a big hill so a lot of my impacts were of greater G-force.  Now this could have something to do with it!

Any who, if any new people see this and want to chime in or any new advice to give ill take it!

Thanks Scott  

2011-04-30 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

You could always try some pickle juice... do a search here... some places (like Academy) actually sell it as a sports drink.

I get random cramps too... I think it may be due to fitness (as some here have mentioned).  So, i ordered a HR watch for running... good luck bro.

2011-04-30 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3475061

User image

Veteran
You might want to get your gallbladder checked out "just in case." 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi, first triathlon need help. Rss Feed