Ironman North America
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 09m 5s
Overall Rank = 434/2732
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 74/328
Pre-race routine:

This was my 1st full Ironman distance. I had completed 2 Halfs and 4 Olympics in the past 2 years.

We stayed in a quiet cabin at Chute Lake. Drove 40 mins to start. Ate (2) high calorie Ensures, banana, blueberries, steel oats, Cytomax.
Event warmup:

None. Checked my transitions and used bathroom.
Swim
  • 1h 08m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned in the middle about 1/2 back from the leaders. There was a initial HR rush as the cannon went off. I waded forward until it was time to swim. I thought there would be a lot of contact with 2700 people in the water, but there was not. Some normal bumping, but everyone seemed polite about it. The only bad crowding for me was around the two bouys. At one point someone was swimming on top of me. I did some breast stoking and swam over some others. No big deal.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go faster, although given my experience this was a good time for me.
Transition 1
  • 06m 34s
Comments:

I opted to ride in bike shorts since my trishorts pad just was not staying comfortable over the 100+ mile distance. I also wore a bike jersey over my tri top since I wasnted additional pockets for nutrition. Getting my suit off and bike shorts/jersey on took a bit of extra time. The tent was crowded, but I managed to get a spot is a corner. My pockets were full of 20 gels, 4 bars. My sunglasses were really fogged when I put them on in the tent, so I slipped them into my back pockets and ran out of the tent. Just as I reached my bike I realized I had lost my glasses somewhere between the tent and me. I was reaching around in my pockets and had a volunteer double check for me, but they were not there. In desperation, I ran back to the tent. My sunglasses were right on the grass at the exit. At least a 100 people must have ran out the when I picked up the glasses they were completely untouched! I was amazed. Put the glasses on and hustled back to the bike rack.

Not put my sunglasses in my full jersey pocket. That cost me about 3 minutes or so.
Bike
  • 5h 45m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I held pretty steady on the bike. Let me say I was riding a 2002 softride with ultegra components (craigslist buy for $700). I passed more expensive bikes and fancy helmets than I could count. There were some moments of entertainment involved. The weather deteriorated during the climb to Yellow Lakes. Living in Seattle and bike commuting year round, the wind and driving rain was not too much of an issue. The climb is fun with lots of spectators. The decent was a bit dicey since there was a lot of standing water on the road and we were all hyrdoplaning. There were 4 people in my descent party. One guys holding back with me on the downhills, and two guys really tucking on the downhills... but holding back on the section of climbing. We yo-yoed all the way and that seemed questionable at the time. Not sure the risk made sense. It was fun cruising into town through the crowds getting to the bike finish.

Not sure. It has been a month since the race. I could probably have worked on my endurance more.
Transition 2
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

This went well. I had to change out of my bike shorts and into running shorts... and get the jersey off. I was glad I had the jersey on the bike. Through the rain it kept me more insulated. There were a lot of shivering riders and the volunteers were handing out mylar blankets.

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 06m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I raced at ~177lbs, 6ft. As usual, I felt pretty slow. I felt really good coming out of T2 and the 1st 5 miles or so and I thought I might sub the 11 hour finish. As time went on, I realized all I was going to have was a steady pace. No big burst or negative split on the marathon. I was not able to eat much at all on the run. I went for the cola at 9 miles. I had heard so much about gels, cola, eating, etc... I had planned on eating gels, but was afraid of what it might do to my stomach which felt really tight. In general, I felt good the whole way but had hoped I would be able to surge at the last 5 miles or so. My 1st marathon was in January of the same year. I ran a 3:45 at a very crowded Walt Disney World course. So, 21 minutes slower seemed reasonable for the Full IM.

According to my training book by Friehl, I did not run longer than 8 miles or so after the big bike rides (100 miles). I am not sure I would follow that advice so closely next time as I was not having any soreness or injury at the stage in my training plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Two cute volunteers assisted me to the resting area and were very attentive. I was happy to be done and sat for 10 minutes or so drinking fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience mostly. I am definitely capable of cutting 9 minutes out. The big losses occurred for me in T2 and the run. All said, I think I spent $2100 on the whole deal, including the bike and lodging the year before to register and then the year of the event. I think I can still argue the ROI. A new bike and a professional trainer may be the ticket to a solid PR. Not sure it is worth it though. We'll see. I did not sign up for next year or any other Ironman.

I am looking to the off road/xterra triathlons and skate skiing circuit for next year. I think that might be a better fit to my interests and existing gear. I am happy to not have to "do" any big training for now.

Event comments:

I think Ironman Canada stands out among the many other options for Full IM. The history of the event and the single lap courses are very good. The mountain passes are not as big of a deal as all the hype. That could probably be said about the Full Ironman event in general. Glad I did it, and it is tough... but not quite as difficult as expected. Originally I thought it would take about 12 hours to complete. So I was happy with 11:09.

Last updated: 2009-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:50 | 4224 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 135/328
Overall: 876/2732
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: standard
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:34
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:45:10 | 112 miles | 19.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 79/328
Overall: 416/2732
Performance: Good
solid zone 3 and zone 4 performance. touched zone 5 for a few minutes climbing.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: standard Richter Pass and Yellow Lakes journey.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal