General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why even consider long course triathlons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3107977

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
Subject: RE: Why even consider long course triathlons?
newbz - 2010-09-20 11:49 AM This is how i look at it. At some point, i'm either going to be too old, or hurt myself and not be able to do this anymore. I could change what i'm doing now, and probably prolong that a bit, or i could live my life how i want, and enjoy every minute of it knowing i gave everything i had. If i get hurt/do something that prevents me from keeping up with it, i'll move on to something else. I absolutely love triathlon, but if i get hurt and have to switch what i do, thats life. It will be a lot easier to move on if i know i was at least giving it my best shot. It happened to me with rowing. I poured my life into that, made it almost as far as i could, and i know i left nothing on the table there. I hurt myself (3 herniated disks and a chipped vertebra) and that was pretty effectively the end of it. So i took up triathlon, looked like fun, fast forward to present day. Frankly, i think if you listen to your body, the benefits FAR outweigh the risks of training. Life is too short not to do what makes you happy.

WELL SAID

2010-09-20 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3107977

User image

New user
Colorado
newbz - 2010-09-20 11:49 AM This is how i look at it. At some point, i'm either going to be too old, or hurt myself and not be able to do this anymore. I could change what i'm doing now, and probably prolong that a bit, or i could live my life how i want, and enjoy every minute of it knowing i gave everything i had. If i get hurt/do something that prevents me from keeping up with it, i'll move on to something else. I absolutely love triathlon, but if i get hurt and have to switch what i do, thats life. It will be a lot easier to move on if i know i was at least giving it my best shot. It happened to me with rowing. I poured my life into that, made it almost as far as i could, and i know i left nothing on the table there. I hurt myself (3 herniated disks and a chipped vertebra) and that was pretty effectively the end of it. So i took up triathlon, looked like fun, fast forward to present day. Frankly, i think if you listen to your body, the benefits FAR outweigh the risks of training. Life is too short not to do what makes you happy.

^^^This!!!

And just to add a bit to what others have said about running =/= joints problems, both of my parents have had their knees replaced, a hip replaced, and chronic back pain.  They never ran a day in their lives (but they've been overweight for a really long time). 
2010-09-21 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3107714

Veteran
Windsor, Ontario via the Detroit Tunnel
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but to slide in sideways, bruised, cut and totally worn out screaming "Holy S*@!, What A Ride!
2010-09-21 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Trois-Rivières,Quebec,Canada
I'm a begginer in Triathlon but I have been running since 1984 in the army. I alaways run for 10 to 40 km. I sometime have back pain and take anti-inflamatory. Last year I start my triathlon training and everything goes well and I did 2 Sprint. After that I stop my training because I didn't have a lot of time and I was tired a bit. Now I have a big back pain. All the time during my career when I take a brake of training my muscle start to be stiff and start to have problem. Now I stop for a break and I have a lot of problem with my back. I will go today to have a massage and I take anti-inflamatory.

If you train usually your body is in better shape to fight again injury. If you train and listen your body of course. I don't beleive training or long running is realy bad for the back. If you don't train smart maybe but just train smart. I steel running about 26 years at minimum 4 days a week and don't have a running problem. Sometime when I change my running shoes I have problem but when I find a pair of running shoes I'm confortable, I can run 40 km with those without problem. A good pair of shoes is realy important to.

That is my personnel experience. I'm not a professional but still thinking everyone have to do good training and running is one of the most popular.
2010-09-21 10:38 AM

User image

I like long course because of the sense of accomplishment and the fact that I just really like to ride long.  I'll never be fast and for me personally saying I can do a 4 hour oly just doesn't fill me with the warm glow of accomplishment that saying I finished a half IM and eventually a full IM.  I figure most of my injuries will probably be from me training too hard or training with poor form so it's not the sport but me at fault.
2010-09-21 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3107987

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Pector55 - 2010-09-20 12:53 PM I'm 40 yrs old, over 200 lbs and finished Savageman with this for a right hip...

HTFU already

Eff Dave Scott. You are The Man!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why even consider long course triathlons? Rss Feed  

of 2