Virgina Beach Neptune Festival
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 24s
Overall Rank = 162/559
Age Group = Male 40-44
Age Group Rank = 36/60
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate a whole wheat bagel with pnut butter. Drove out to the beach and parked at a friend's house on 14th St. loaded up my stuff and road my bike down to the TA at 2nd street.
Swim
  • 04m 33s
  • 1000 meters
  • 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim canceled after half the waves had already started. Since we hadn't started yet they just had us run down the beach along the water line back to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

I would have liked to have tried the swim. Time for those who did complete the swim were 14-37 minutes so I think I could have done it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

10/60 in my age group. Great transition except for rocky pavement in one section of the TA that we had to run through. It was painful. Forgot to grab my GU to consume on the bike. I should have had an even better advantage than those wearing wetsuits but everyone that wore them were able to take them off before we started our wave run back to transition.

Remember my GU. Maybe I should tape it to my top tube next time.
Bike
  • 44m 47s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was very stong at times and slowed me down. I spent more time in the aero position than most races because there were no hills. The route was very congested at times and we had to pass 3 across. I think this is because we didn't swim and so there was not as much spreading out. Also could have been the wave sequence. Alot of women's and older mens' wave went before ours and we pass alot of them. Saw the aftermath of one wreck.
Bike dismount was a problem. As we came around the back side of the TA there was a funnel bringing us to the TA opening. When we got in the mouth of it athletes started dismounting in front of me. I didn't see a dismount line but i stopped too. Everyone started yelling for us to get bakc on our bikes and keep going so we did. I never did see a dismount line not did anyone flag me down to dismount. All of a sudden I was at the TA open and had to brake hard. It was very confusing.

I should have checked out the dismount area before the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

6/60 in age group, 97/701. Very good transition. No problems, no issues.

The only way i could get faster would be to leave my bike shoes in the pedals next time. Need to practice that this off season.
Run
  • 25m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Ate my gu coming out of T2 and i am not sure it was a good idea. Good run but I was getting side cramps from the very beginning. Running into the wind on the way out but it kept me nice and cool. I was able to accelerate on the way back but the cramps got worse. Also the sun was beating down and was starting to bother me.

Need proper hydration and nutrition plan execution. need to run more in the heat next summer do acclimate better.
Post race
Warm down:

Said hey to my wife and kids then went to get food and drink. It was very crowded and hard to move around. Had to wait too long to get hydration.

Event comments:

This is a good race but there were lots of changes this year. New transition area/finish area, run course finish area, bike course. I think it will improve over time. I will do this one again.

Last updated: 2010-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:33 | 1000 meters | 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 39/60
Overall: 220/559
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: Swim canceled. Ran approximately 900 meters down to the swim exit and then to the transition area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:47 | 14 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/60
Overall: 292/559
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: head north in the eastern-most lane of Atlantic Avenue. At the Cavalier Hotel, bicyclists will turn right to continue north on Atlantic Avenue to the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Shore Drive. Athletes will then turn left and head west in the outside lane of Shore Drive. After travelling approximately 0.75 miles on Shore Drive, athletes will do a U-turn in Shore Drive and return following the reverse of the outbound leg of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:06 | 03.1 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/60
Overall: 278/559
Performance: Average
Course: 5K Out and back on the board walk.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond VA area
Subject: Sandman Triathlon

2010-09-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3108148

User image

Subject: RE: Sandman Triathlon
Looks like you had a good race!  It sure was chaotic.  I was in the 1st wave to go off, but they pulled me out of the water so I didn't get to finish the swim.  It was a fight to get out past the breakers, but once I got it, I thought I could finish.  I think I should have resisted a little more when they tried to pull us out, I was making progress and doing OK, it was just taking awhile.  Oh, well. 

Where did you find your results?  I can't find them.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sandman Triathlon Rss Feed