General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon (Olympic Distance) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon (Olympic Distance) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Score-This
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 19m 9s
Overall Rank = 11/581
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/28
Pre-race routine:

six shot bloks, coffee and water.
Event warmup:

light jogging and around two hundred yards of swimming to warm up.
Swim
  • 27m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Would love to have this one to do over! Started front inside and rock and rolled, by myself. Having a great swim with zero contact and very good navigation. Rounded the return buoy and started having a very difficult time finding the sprint buoy, or really positively id'ing something on shore that says "come this way". Before the race started they told us that a few of there buoy's were actually stolen and there were supposed to be many more out there to help guide us. Could have used them, that's for sure. Had to stop quite a few times and breast stroke to try to get my bearings. All of a sudden other swimmers were catching up to me and I told myself to just slow down and go with them...the plan worked but I could have come in alot faster. Big lesson learned. Be ready for anything.
What would you do differently?:

swim out in warmups and turn around, and get a very good look at what my return leg was going to look like, and find my sighting targets.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

took some time here to put on arm warmers (yes I'm a wimp I'll admit it). Really really glad I did. But...as you can imagine it took some time for the nice stretchy felty material to slide over my wet forearms.

nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 37s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 21.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Super happy about the bike leg and have been waiting for a good performance here all year. I was pretty cold at the start and had a nasty headache, which is unusual for me. I told myself to be conservative for the first few miles and just to try to get the engine warm. I seriously thought that if I pushed it here I would hurt my muscles, because they felt so cold. Gradually built up into a nice pace and passed a few people who were nice enough to tell me what place I was in.Gelled at mile seven. Volunteers on the course were great and the intersections were well controlled. Anytime I felt myself slowing down on a uphill grade I was out of the saddle and lightly dancing on the pedals...this did two things for me: Allowed me to stretch for a bit so I wouldn't stiffen up and kept the pace up. In past races I've held back a bit on the uphills thinking that a nice steady output would serve me well and set me up for the run. I'm definitely convinced now that I can move quickly uphill and not pay for it on the run. Not "hammer" the hills, not yet anyway, but move quickly up them. Drank about half of the water/infinit in my aerodrink...pretty cool day and wasn't sweating very much. I seem to do better with less water rather than more.

nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

First in group and 8th overall here, very happy with T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m
  • 6.38 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

If all my runs could be like this I'd be very happy! Faster here by 1:30 over last year. Felt smooth and in control the entire time. Good posture and turnover. Barely any pain (the bad kind anyway!). Ever get that floating on air feeling...I had it. Like most of the race I was by myself for the first half, just saying hi to the volunteers and thanking them. On the second loop I was joined by the sprinters and the other olympic folks. Very flat course and very enjoyable. Got passed by two younger, "runner" types around mile 5/6, almost caught one of them back at the end..(four seconds). Fun run and feel I've got more to give, with more training I believe I can get faster.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Congratulated some fellow competitors and ran back out to the course to try and find my brother Rob. Figured an aid station that was in a section with two way running traffic would be a good bet. Made friends with the volunteers there and ended up helping pass out water and restock them. I saw Rob coming up toward the finish and ran with him for a bit, cheering him on. Grabbed some food, had a beer, cleaned out transition and picked up my "hardware". A good day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I honestly have not been able to put in alot of training this year. My logs reflect that, most weeks I'm struggling to get in five hours or so. This winter i am planning on a big base, and next spring we'll start the hard stuff. Good stuff to come next year.

Event comments:

I'll be back next year looking to go even faster!

Last updated: 2010-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/28
Overall: 32/581
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:37 | 23.8 miles | 21.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 17/581
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful course that is mostly uphill for the first five miles then into rollers and flat to downhill on the way back. Roads were in great shape.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:00 | 06.38 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 21/581
Performance: Good
Course: fun course that takes you into a wooded municipal park for about a mile, then over streets then line the lake. Come back for one more loop and that's it. Couple of sharp turns including one 180 degree.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon (Olympic Distance)

2010-09-20 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3108339

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon (Olympic Distance)

You had a fantastic race!  Great bike split despite the cold!

2010-09-20 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Sounds like it all came together for you. There's the upside of cool temps. Congrats on hardware. Speedy as a mofo!
2010-09-20 8:17 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Sweet race, JC!  Some really fast splits!
2010-09-22 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Wow! Impressive!  Great race and congratulations on the top of the podium finish!!! 

One of these days my fall meeting schedule will allow me to compete in this race again! I missed seeing all you guys!!

Great job JC! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon (Olympic Distance) Rss Feed