United States
Tri-Maine
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I arrived early and got a primo parking spot. At a Perfect Foods Bar and had an Ensure, drank a lot of water. I fiddled with my bike and talked to a few folks until transition opened. I picked up my chip and walked over to body marking.

Set-up was normal. Looking back on it, I think I felt kind of flat. Not amped up like I should have been, just kind of going through the motions, not really focused. That might have something to do with my sub-par performance, I don't know.

Event warmup:

My buddy Winnett and I got in the water pre-race, and it seemed to be around 60 which was much warmer than last year. I got my face used to the water and then waited for my wave start.

Swim
  • 34m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was some bumping around, a few elbows, a few grabbed feet. Nothing out of the ordinary. The water is cold, murky, and salty. I don't like swimming in the ocean because of the saltyness. And the things that can eat you, but I covered that already.

I felt good to the first buoy, I couldn't see the second buoy until I was right there. The third buoy came pretty quickly for me, but I swear the shore was moving away from me as I came in from that third buoy. Seaweed wrapped around my arms, legs and face a few times. I thought I swam hard, but I was a full 3 minutes slower than last year.

I got out of the water quickly and ran up the ramp to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster?????
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Yeah, whatever. That was about 20 seconds slower than last year.

Nothing really. Try to be faster?
Bike
  • 1h 29m 24s
  • 24.7 miles
  • 16.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I beat my old time by 25 seconds. I am not impressed given the fact that I increased my volume significantly leading up to Timberman and have been doing some interval work leading up to this race. I expected the biggest gains here, and I didn't get much.

The course is on roads that are in great shape through a really nice area. I would call the course rolling, but not overly hilly. But I just couldn't get up to speed on any of the climbs. I am a fantastic descender though, I have a weight advantage on all of those skinny hill climbers that kept passing me.

Everything was very well marked and as usual, the volunteers rocked. I came in from the bike feeling pretty good, but I knew I wasn't as fast as I had wanted to be.

This is the only place where I thought that maybe the 4 day 35 mile hike with a 40 pound pack 4 days before the race was a mistake.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Almost a full minute slower than last year. What was I doing? Making a sandwich?

I had a hard time getting my shoes on this time, I don't know why.
Run
  • 59m 41s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't expecting much improvement at all here after the season running I have had. This was 2 minutes slower than last year.

At the start, my body was revolting more than normal post-bike. Everything hurt. My toes, my arches, my calves, my shins, my quads, my hammies, my stomach was cramping, my arms...EVERYTHING hurt. I felt like a complete turd. This has never happened to me before, the full body assault. I kept pushing through, telling myself it would go away.

I was shuffling big time, but I kept running (can you call it that?) and got passed by a few 75 year olds. I started to come out of it around the 5K point. My stride opened up a bit and by mile 4, I was feeling great. I was passing people like crazy. I would look at each person's back and pick them off. I kind of wish it was 10-13 miles, not 6.2. I wish there were mile splits, because I know I was running very strong in the last 3 miles.

One girl I passed said, "Holy crap, great running!"

At the 5 mile mark, I felt like I was making headway. I was picking off people (I got past both the 75 year olds too), focusing on their back, reeling them in, getting past them and looking on to the next. I was alone on the loop around Winslow Park. Then as I made the final turn to the finishline, I saw another person about 100 yards ahead of me, she was only about 20 yards from the finishline, waving to her friends on the way in.

I sprinted as hard as I could, and her friends suddenly started yelling at her to "Oh no!! GO GO GO" because I was coming fast on her back. She put her head down and ran hard the few feet she had left to the finish. She got me by 1 second, I almost had her.

I don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure, I mean, maybe more speedwork and not hiking the few days before...duh.

Event comments:

I love this race and will come back next year!

Last updated: 2010-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:27 | 1640 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Trianglish counter-clockwise loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:24 | 24.7 miles | 16.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Wind: None
Course: Lollipop course on good roads. Only one short rough section.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average