Franconia, New Hampshire
United States
Reach the Beach Relay
Total Time = 25h 55m 31s
Overall Rank = 37/429
Age Group = Mens Masters
Age Group Rank = 9/37
Pre-race routine:

I flew into Boston 2 days before the race to help my brother with final logistics and packing the vans. We picked up all the remaining teammates the next day and headed to New Hampshire. We stayed in a condo at The Mountain Club the night before the race. We had a good team dinner and some beers. We had a 220p (late) start, so we tried to sleep in a little. We got a late breakfast at Flapjacks and headed to the race start. We cleared registration and security without any issues. A lot of hurry up and wait kind of thing. It was raining at the start, but we braved the elements and watched some of the earlier groups start. Finally at 220p (right on time) we officially started.
Run
  • 25h 55m 31s
  • 209 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This event was great. I am glad I challenged myself with 4 legs. We beat our goals for this race, and we had a blast. We were lucky with the late start that transitions were pretty empty. There were no lines in the parking lots or for the porta potties. By morning, we were in the thick of the crowds. There was traffic getting into the transition areas. There were long lines at the porta potties. All the traffic made it a little more difficult getting our runners ready. I was amazed how quickly the race winners caught us on the course. We started an hour and forty minutes before the last wave (we were 4th from last wave), and the race winners caught us by 10p. A runner from Team Saucony blew by me in the middle of the night like I was standing still.

This race is extremely well run, especially for the size, length, and duration of it. The course was well marked. We were new to this race, and we never got lost. I give the people who marked this course for the runners and vans a lot of credit. All the voluteers were great, and I hope I thanked them enough. My only disappointment with this race was the traffic and crowded transitions near the end. It was difficult to get our runners around, and we missed the finish because we couldn't make it through the traffic to get there on time. Maybe we can find a better way the next time.
What would you do differently?:

Team Logistics!!! We made two transition errors. One that cost us 25 minutes when one of the vans went to the wrong transition and kept a runner waiting. We were newbies, and we were bound to make some mistakes. The learning curve has definitely flattened for the next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race party at the beach which was decent. The post race food was decent and definitely needed, but the beer line was too long. I love Red Hook, but it was not worth it to wait in that line. We then headed back to Boston for some pizza, beers, and sleep. We took an early Sunday morning flight home to Chicago.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills! Mountains! More Hills! No way for us in Chicago to prepare for some of those hills. Some logistics hurt us as well, but we definitely learned from it. That will not happen again.

Last updated: 2010-09-14 12:00 AM
Running
25:55:31 | 209 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/37
Overall: 37/429
Performance: Good
I was runner #3, and we had 10 runners for the 36 legs. I ran legs 3,13,23,and 33.
Course: The course was great. It started in the mountains in Franconia then followed an "S" shaped course through New Hampshire to finish at Hampton Beach. It was a beautiful course. Only downside to the late start was we missed a lot of the mountain scenery because we were running that portion overnight, but the stars and moon were fantastic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes