General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safety Stroke Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-25 1:41 PM

User image

New Jersey
Subject: Safety Stroke
Did my first OW swim yesterday and although I got through the intended sprint distance (0.5 mi), I could not keep the anxiety levels down and stay in my pool-practiced breathing rate groove. I basically felt the need, justfied or not, to breast stroke a few strokes every 15-20 crawl strokes. After toying around with the backstroke afterwards, I can't help but think that maybe it (or even sidestoke) might be just as restful for the shuolders and lungs, as well as being a bit faster during those "rest" intervals. Anyone have a take as to which alternative stroke would be best, assuming one is necessary???

Thanks in advance!!!

- Spencer

2005-07-25 2:00 PM
in reply to: #206575

User image

Extreme Veteran
Paso Robles, California
Subject: RE: Safety Stroke

In my first race, I used a little back stroke.  Kept up a decent pace and was able to get the breating under control.

But in due time you won't need to use anything but crawl for the whole race.  Just give it time and practice.  I also count strokes to keep my mind off things and relax on the swim.

2005-07-25 2:20 PM

Regular
While I prefer backstroke for a difference in motion, I really don't like it in OW since I can't see where I am going. I guess it depends on how long you are going to be doing it -- for a few strokes, it would be alright, but just make sure you are going to be comfortable and can spot using the shoreline or something else.
2005-07-25 2:20 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-07-25 5:59 PM

I did my first (in a pool even!) yesterday and was a little panicky and out of breath - had to resort to backstroke and breastroke quite a bit. Just kept remembering what the folks here said and realaxed and enjoyed - ended up finishing the swim 3 min faster than I've ever done it.
For me backstroke is the fastest "rest" stroke. But not sure how that would be in OW?
2005-07-25 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
This was your first OW swim, pretty normal and a good way to manage anxietry as well.....you can easily get through a tri this way...many people do it.....the more experience you get, you can decide to freeestyle the whole way or break it up a bit to catch your breath, sight etc.

2005-07-25 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
New York City
I had a similar experience in my first OW swim. Lucky I praticed rolling to my back and just kicking and resting and getting my composure as a saftey. That pulled me thru. I got to a point in the swim where I couldn't remember what happened (about 100m before I reached the bouy). I think that that was a time when I was in a grove. I pulled up at the bouy and watched everyone swim past and thought to myself, boy these guys are fast...I want to do that too someday..and proceeded to make my way to shore. I got a little over confident and moved more into the middle of the swim lane and was plowed over by the wave of swimmers that followed my wave. For now I'm staying on the fringes of the swim..that helped too...

Good luck..
2005-07-26 12:57 AM

User image

New Jersey
Thanks for all the support, guys. Great stuff, as usual.
I still have a few weeks to experiment so I'm anxious to get back in the water and see what I can put together that will allow me to bail on my crawl stroke (if need be), see where I'm going, and actually make some measurable forward progress at the same time.

Aquatic multi-tasking at its most remedial...coming to a lake near you!
2005-07-26 1:57 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Guess what! Learning how to do crawl continuously without panicking is one of the steepest learning curves in swimming. Keep putting in the time and you'll get the benefits. Good job so far!
2005-07-26 6:40 AM
in reply to: #206599

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I did the Esther Williams Side Stroke for part of my first tri and I looked darn good doing it and was faster than some people around me. Ya do what ya gotta do. If that's a side stroke then do it, do it with flair and do not be ashamed! As for the backstroke I get too much water up my nose.
2005-07-26 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I just started swimming laps last week at out community center pool. I do 20 lengths (little over 1/4 mile). 25% freestyle, 75% breatstroke. The second time in the pool (I swim twice week) I did one more length in freestyle and my time was down by several minutes (mainly because I was resting less in the shallow end). From my days on the the HS swim team (many many years ago) if you keep at it you will get better. When it comes down to to doing a tri my opinion (for whatever it is worth) getting the job done if proirity 1. So what if you breaststroke. You went out and finished what you set out to do. That is a very important step. I stopped worrying what I looked like when my hair fell out due to age LOL! Enjoy your pursuit!

2005-07-26 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

I have found that breaststroke is a good way to catch your breath and not lose too much distance - it also helps me with sighting (which I suck at while doing the crawl). 

I took a wicked kick to the side of the old melon in my last tri which completely jacked me up on my swimming and disoriented me until about halfway through the bike (painful bruise above my temple and it made my head throb). Gotta love Triathlon, where swimming is a contact sport.

I still believe in breast stroke as a the best rest stroke - I get too disoriented doing the backstroke (I tend to drift right) and butterfly is out of the question (too intense) - never practiced sidestroke.

2005-07-26 12:25 PM

Regular
Maine
This is great info for me as I will be doing my first tri on the 7th of Aug. I have been practicing freestyle, breaststroke and the trusty sidestroke. I fully plan on using the sidestroke and breaststroke as part of my swim. My sidestroke is faster than my breaststroke and it's more relaxing for me. I can't do the backstroke because, just like Nancy, I get too much water up my nose.

Susan
2005-07-26 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Most backstrokers I see are going in crazy zig-zag patterns that add yards to the swim and annoy those whose paths they cross. After panicking in my first race, I got to the edge of the group the second time out, and it was a world of difference. It's much easier to keep your composure without all that thrashing about going on in your face.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safety Stroke Rss Feed