United States
RacingUnderground
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 14s
Overall Rank = 195/478
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 17/25
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, usual breakfast; had the car and bag mostly packed the night before so I was able to sleep a little later and make a quick exit.
Really surprised that when I turned onto Belleview from the highway I was already in race traffic, last year at the same time the HS lot was nearly empty on arrival. This time it was already 3/4 full!
As I was hiking the bike and bag down to Transition in the dark, I had an awkward weight-shift of the bag on my shoulder, and something in my left ribs went 'pop', so now I have a new pain not related to my lower back or legs. Niiice. This should only bother me during the swim, no problem.
Settled in to transition on an edge spot, and things filled in pretty quickly. Note to self, leave 15 minutes earlier next year, just in case!
Roamed transition a few times, said Hi to Kath2163 and KeriF; hunted to down a pump to re-adjust tire pressure due to the unusual cold temp.
Since the Boulder 70.3 my training has been a bit of a train wreck, so my expectations are appropriately tempered by the reality of the last month.
Event warmup:

Unpacked and got pseudo-organized, jogged down to the water for a picture. Made the footsteps from water to T1, hopped on the bike and road a few miles to get the blood flowing, back to transition, jog to the marina restrooms barefoot, jog back getting dumb stares (yep, I'm barefoot, so what?). As I'm gathering my swim stuff the woman next to me says "you're really busy" "yea, I don't sit still well"
Swim
  • 14m 8s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wave three was a blend of Men-AG and Clydes, so womping good run into the water as I try getting out the far right to sight off the group. We got out well, I could see the red tops thinning out to the side, I eased in as the group approached the 1st buoy. Right after someone tries to go over me diagonally as if that was the turn. Not one stroke and oops, but 1, 2, 3 strokes like he can climb over me. Admittedly I have no kick by default, but my legs don't resemble an idle aid kayak either, so flutter-kick engaged...sorry dude, I can't float two of us but I think you figured that out via your shoulder/chest, chin, and goggles. Maybe pause after the initial contact next time...
What would you do differently?:

hmm, not much to do different here. But I should be top 5 by time getting out of the water, and probably was when I stepped on the beach. More on that in a moment.

Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Out of the water, and up the hill, get the suit unzipped and rolled down, at the stripper station there are ~3 people free, so I point to the 1st..he's not paying attention so I go to the next one and 'poof', my t1 time is instantly a minute faster :)
Of course with my usual land speed, plus the stop for the strippers that LOTS of people decided to skip. I must have been passed by ~12-15 guys at least. On the other hand, a guy whose kid was there cheering him said "go tell your mom I'm done". Wow. Good reminder I'm there to enjoy it.

Run Baby, Run, so I can run up the damn hill next year.
Make sure my part of the lot is swept and not all gravelly. Small but irritating in the shoes.
Bike
  • 39m 55s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

For some reason of dumbness, I left the mounted aero bottle at home. Dumb, because I paused pedal strokes a few times grabbing a drink, which would have been unnecessary.
I like this ride, not too many ego-crushing passes, and I didn't get chicked until something like mile 9, and only a couple of times. Small favors, I guess.

Ride a wee bit more than 1x weekly in the month before the race. I know I had 20+ in my legs (for this course) in August. Apparently not in September though...
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

The MUP exit/entrance for Bike could use a change for next year, awkward to come to a dead crawl on the narrow path in traffic. Not a biggie, but odd. If I didn't pause to slug from the water bottle twice before leaving, I'd be out under a minute. I swear I could do it. Especially If I'd noticed the aid station placed directly outside the run exit, handing out water.

Practice transition, just in case they ever start giving AG awards for 3rd Place in T2. In my AG that would be in the neighborhood of 40 seconds, so I'll still need to practice.
Run
  • 32m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, this story is old now. I really need to work on my running strength, fitness, conditioning, and overall brick-a-bility off the bike. Maybe from the absence of bike conditioning the past month, but going up that little hill caused my left quadratus to seize up like an engine without oil, 1st time in something like a year; never had any pain as recently as Boulder. Legs felt fine, didn't feel cramped or dehydrated, but kidney-punch pain doesn't allow me to pick up the left leg easily on any kind of uptick. Flat was OK, and down was a breeze, but in between that stuff was up and achy. Still and all, when I could move comfortably it was a decent run feeling. Just couldn't sustain it.

I'll just start searching again for the intestinal fortitude to get over and through this runners mental-block.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, heard Keri cross the line, gathered up Transition, got the BBQ, and hauled off to deal with work. A good hindsight decision, since my name was not pulled in the raffle. Zipp wheels, I'll come for you again next year!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My internal self, as per the usual. But I'll do this one again next year, regardless of when the A race is.

Event comments:

Maybe a water station at mile 1?
Pulled Pork s'wich and vitamin water was an interesting combo at 10am.

Last updated: 2010-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:08 | 820 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 25/478
Performance: Average
Time includes the incredible post-swim hill slog, plus a stop at the wetsuit strippers.
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: counter-clockwise trapezoidal, followed by ridiculous uphill run to transition. Yes, I'm spoiled, I confess.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:55 | 12.9 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/478
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Worn paved road around the south end of the res. Course layout inadvertently added `1.5 miles due to a dropped right turn on the return leg. No biggie, still a fun ride.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:27 | 03.11 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/478
Performance: Below average
Course: Paved trail, dirt trail, and road shoulder.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 11:09 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2010-09-21 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3109097

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon
Nice job Steve!  Wish I had your swim!!  BTW...that wasn't me trying swim over you at the 1st buoy.  I agree on the wetsuit strippers...really helps getting through T1 faster.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed