United States
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 35m 52s
Overall Rank = 520/1350
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 83/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 and did my usual bagel, bowl of cheerios, gatorade endurance and some fruit. Got over to race start at 5:30 so that I would have plenty of time to get T1 set up and not stress.
Event warmup:

None. It was too dark to swim as sunrise was right at race start, couldn't take the bikes out of transition and I really didn't feel like jogging. I just did some light stretching.
Swim
  • 39m 31s
  • 2100 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had goggle issues right off the bat. I have had slight issues but he last two weeks the goggles had performed good. I did not want to switch right before the race so I rolled the dice and lost. The left goggle immediatley started filling up do about 200 yards in I was on my back adjusting the goggles. At one point I thought I had lost a contact due to the water in goggles but I just rolled over again and did some more adjustments. About 15 minutes in I was able to get them to work correctly and finished the swim with no issues. I tried a bunch of different kick strokes and did the breast stroke for 15-20seconds about 5 times. I think this helped prevent cramping in my calves.
What would you do differently?:

Buy new goggles - Don't buy the Aqua Sphere Kayman.
Transition 1
  • 06m 34s
Comments:

The race banned using rubber bands on shoes and having shoes pre-clipped in. I was upset because I had been practicing this. I had the worst bike location as I was in the rear of T1. I had to clippidy clop for about 100 yards to bike mount. I also had issues with Garmin watch. I strapped on HR monitor then put on watch and some water from arm must have gotten in becasue it froze on me. I said screw it and ended up throwing them both in my transition bag. I just used my trusty Ironman watch.

I forgot a towel and there was sand. I will be looking at getting rid of the Garmoin 405 since I am so tired of it locking up from just sweating or moisture. I like the new GPS Ironman watch.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went much better than I anticipated. I drank way too much eater and gatorade but that was ok because of weather. I had to stop at 3 aid staions to use porta potty. But it did make me feel better as I knew I was at least hydrated for 1/2 marathon.

I would have pushed it a little harder on the uphills and maybe would have reduced the fluids by a little bit to eliminate 1 or 2 of the bathroom trips.
Transition 2
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Everything went pretty good in T2. I did have to use porta potty again but this was my last for the race.

Put on some sunscreen
Run
  • 2h 12m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out a little fast on Mile 2 as I was feeling good but then the heat kicked in. I was putting ice in my hat and down shirt every aid station (15) and there were residents with hoses hosing us down. I was also dumping ice water down my back and on my head. This helped me really keep cool. Shoes did get wet but didn't really care. I walked all the aid stations and walked whenever I felt overheated or a hamstring/calf cramp coming on.

Pick a cooler day :). Over all I was very happy with my run and dealing with the weather. I went in thinking I was going to be between 2hrs and 2:15 so I was right were I wanted to be.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped into the ice cold fountain at the finish line. I passed the finish line 2 times and saw people getting into it each time. That was my motivation to finish and damn did it feel good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills and heat.

Event comments:

The race was prepared for the heat and did a great job. The volunteers were awesome and I could not have finished the race without their help and dedication to also stand in the heat for hours.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:31 | 2100 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 83/
Overall: 0/1350
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Course was a square. Buoys were well marked and easy to follow. They ended changing from 10 minute wave intervals to 3 minute which kind of congested the course at certain points. Never really completely opened up.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:33:19 | 56 miles | 15.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 111/
Wind: Little
Course: HILLS,HILLS, HILLS.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:12:29 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and HOT!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %??
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-21 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Branson

2010-09-21 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3110240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Branson
Great job T2, you are truly inspiring   I don't understand why they wouldn't let you do the elastic band with the shoes...did they give a reason for not allowing it?
2010-09-22 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3111222

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Awesome job, Tim!  Super proud of you.  I heard that just finishing this race was a HUGE accomplishment!  Those hills look really brutal.  I can't imagine going through that!  Great great great job!  Take some rest time, you deserve it.  

That is terrible about the goggles.  I really hate when that happens (which is often for me, as i have a weird shaped head...).  Glad it all worked out for you in the end! 
2010-09-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3110240

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Great race, Tim!  And I am curious about the shoes on the bike as well.  Never heard of that before.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Branson Rss Feed