General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Meal replacement shakes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-23 3:10 PM

Veteran
Subject: Meal replacement shakes
So I've been at this since spring and dropped 35lbs and completed my first tri.  Winter is coming and I want to drop another 15 by the end of the year to make my goal of 50 for this year.  My biggest problem is breakfast.  I am usually a scatter brain in the morning and barely make it to work on time most days.  So I keep a loaf of bread at my desk mostly for my turkey or tuna sandwiches at lunch and some Oatmeal.  So my breakfast is either toast or oatmeal aka all carb.  I want to have a higher quality breakfast but it needs to be something I can slip into my lunch bag and take to work with me or keep in my desk at work (best option) I was looking at meal replacement shakes and I need some suggestions.  There are so many out there that its hard to know what works.   Like I said this is just for breakfast so I'd like to have more protein than carbs and a decent taste.

thanks

2010-09-23 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3114634

User image

Ogden, Utah
Subject: RE: Meal replacement shakes
I've always found that they don't fill me up enough and I'm looking to satify cravings more often when eating/drinking shakes for breakfast. Don't know it they just weren't giving me enough calories or if they just weren't 'filling ' enough and my stomach wanted more to compensate.
Some people like them, though, my wife's been doing some kind of shakes(herbalife?) for a couple weeks now and seems to be sticking to it.
You are now 2 pennies richer.
2010-09-23 3:51 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Most meal replacements don't have good quality carbs in them.  Basically all sugar.  Boo.  I take whey protein and add raw oats.  Just buzz the oats in a spice grinder and they become less noticeable in your shake.  Or just eat the oatmeal and have a protein shake.  My favorite whey brand is Xtreme Formulations.  Their flavoring is top notch.  Can only find them online.
2010-09-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3114745

User image

Modesto, California
uhcoog - 2010-09-23 1:51 PM Most meal replacements don't have good quality carbs in them.  Basically all sugar.  Boo.  I take whey protein and add raw oats.  Just buzz the oats in a spice grinder and they become less noticeable in your shake.  Or just eat the oatmeal and have a protein shake.  My favorite whey brand is Xtreme Formulations.  Their flavoring is top notch.  Can only find them online.

Agreed, I dont care how cheap it is or how bioavalaible the protien is,if it doesnt taste good I wont take it on a consistent basis. Another great brand is Gold Standard Whey, I will mix it with thier Glyco Maize which is thier carb drink that has no flavoring,its a great combo for post workout and meal replacement. Having two seperate components gives me the flexibility to come up with my own portions.
2010-09-23 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I don't know the first thing about nutrition, but I can tell you that I've tried the Kirkland (Costco) meal replacement shakes, as well as Muscle Milk.

Kirkland: My old swim coach (who has ton a bunch of IM's and marathons) uses these after a long workout to get quick calories down, and I suspect aid in recovery. I did a long run with her once, and drank two of them when we got back to her house. They do taste quite nice and I believe they are pretty cheap compared to other options.

Muscle Milk: My running group gets these free which is the only reason I ever tried them. They do taste good (I've had Chocolate and Cake Batter - prefer Chocolate), but it has an after taste that lingers for 12 hours or so. I don't mind it, but you might. Again, these are loaded with calories and I've noticed my recovery time improve quite a bit since I started drinking them after long runs - within 15-20 minutes of finishing is key.

I believe both of these would fill your stomach long enough to get to lunch, and are certainly easy to "grab and go". There are lots of other options, so you have to try a few and see what works best for you. Again, I have no idea how this fits in with a diet plan...I'm the type that can't ever get enough calories so I never pay much attention to diet.

Good luck, it sounds like you've made significant progress already. Keep up the training and I'm sure you'll hit your goals. Don't let the cooler weather stop you!
2010-09-30 11:52 AM

Regular
Houston
I have "lean shake" from GNC in my desk for the exact same reason.  I love the taste and usually drink 1 every morning.  I am not sure about the pro's and cons' of all the difrent brands, but I do like this one and when I got mine it was buy 1 get 1 half off so that helped.  As far as how filling it is, I am not stuffed when I get through with it but it does keep off hunger untill lunch. 

2010-09-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3126036

Veteran
I almost bought those Lean Shakes but went with Amplified Muscle Meal from GNC.  I take 1/2 every morning with 8oz Skim milk.  They are pretty good.
2010-09-30 8:44 PM

Veteran

my daughter ( who a well does tri's) got me into the xxxxxxx brand meal shake- -I supplement them with real food. She has done lots of research with the product, and I just like them and they seem to work.

-Helen

PS- need to get the post marathon munchies out of my system and back on the shakes!!!

2010-10-03 2:50 AM

I use advocare meal replacement shakes. The Berry or the chocolate taste good alone. I mix the vanilla with frozen fruit in the blender.
2010-10-03 2:57 AM

I use advocare meal replacement shakes. The Berry or the chocolate taste good alone. I mix the vanilla with frozen fruit in the blender.
2010-10-03 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
I use Herbalife and love it.
I do 12 oz of raw milk (they say skim but no one should ever drink homogenized milk, but that's another story) one serving of the french vanilla and open serving of their protein powder, 2/3 cup of frozen fruit (strawberries are great and so are blueberries).
Blend and I'm out the door.
I have one of those blenders that is also the mug so I just slap the cap on it and I'm off. Takes me less the 3 minutes.

2010-10-06 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
I love Slim-Fast. If I have that in the morning, and then fruit or a small snack or something around 10am, I make it to lunch no problem.
2010-10-06 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3130688

Veteran
fsr402 - 2010-10-03 6:08 PM I use Herbalife and love it. I do 12 oz of raw milk (they say skim but no one should ever drink homogenized milk, but that's another story) one serving of the french vanilla and open serving of their protein powder, 2/3 cup of frozen fruit (strawberries are great and so are blueberries). Blend and I'm out the door. I have one of those blenders that is also the mug so I just slap the cap on it and I'm off. Takes me less the 3 minutes.

Do you have a link to one of those blenders?  I need something like that
2010-10-07 1:43 PM

Here's the one I have:

http://chrisfreytag.com/products/health-and-fitness/household/fitnessblender/

I also hard-boil eggs by the dozen so that's a nice option.  I'll eat a homemade lara bar sometimes with it for a snack.  My breakfast is similar to what was mentioned earlier.  1 cup milk, 1/2 cup oats, 1 scoop protein powder, peanutt butter to taste.  Great way to start the day and gets me through to lunch with a small snack in between.

2010-10-10 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
I've just started using protien shakes again. I bought a case of Premium Nutrition from Costco. It's very simular to Muscle Milk in ingredients, but doesn't taste as good. I'll buy MM next time. I eat very little in the morning, usually just a piece of whole grain toast with smart balance or peanut butter with my french press.

I use the shake right after a work out & have been starting to drink one just before bed after a heavy day. I did it last night & swear I could tell the difference. This morning I was far less sore than expected.

2011-01-18 5:52 PM

User image

Regular
My husband and I are doing the 90-day Challenge with Body By Vi, and having a meal replacement shake each morning for breakfast.  Two scoops of powder mixed with fat-free milk and either fruit or low-fat peanut butter and I'm good to go until lunch.  I lost 3.5 pounds after my first 9 days, and we have our next weigh in tomorrow so I'm anxious to see the results.  I am not a distributor, but I can give you the link to a website if you'd like to get more info about it.

2011-01-24 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Winchester, MA
I have tried a number of protein powders, meal replacements, etc over the years. My issues have been 1) taste, and 2) feeling satisfied for long enough.

For full disclosure right off the bat, I'll state that I'm a Beachbody rep so I sell the stuff. That said, I TRULY find that Shakeology is the best thing out there. The Chocolate is ridiculously good, and it keeps me full for HOURS. I really, really love this, and use it every single day for breakfast. I have a Magic Bullet and whip one up right before I walk out the door, and drink it in the car on my way to work. It took me a long time to try this, and I wouldn't endorse it if I didn't use it myself and truly love it.

http://www.shakeology.com/mspina

Edited by mspina 2011-01-24 2:17 PM
2011-01-24 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3137209

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Kerrdog79 - 2010-10-06 6:49 PM

fsr402 - 2010-10-03 6:08 PM I use Herbalife and love it. I do 12 oz of raw milk (they say skim but no one should ever drink homogenized milk, but that's another story) one serving of the french vanilla and open serving of their protein powder, 2/3 cup of frozen fruit (strawberries are great and so are blueberries). Blend and I'm out the door. I have one of those blenders that is also the mug so I just slap the cap on it and I'm off. Takes me less the 3 minutes.

Do you have a link to one of those blenders?  I need something like that

No I don't but I got it at Target really cheap.
2011-01-25 9:10 AM

User image

Bloomington
Maybe go the opposite direction and improve your oats.

Cook your oats in the microwave until they're done (use rolled, not that instant junk...).  Then add you protein powder to the oats.  While I'm suggesting, throw in some nut butter, chopped walnuts or even chia... 

Ideally you want your breakfast to have some complex carbs, fiber, protein, and fat.  I think that suggestion fits all those requirements, and it's easy enough to add protein powder and nuts/seeds to your desk stash. 

2011-02-21 9:48 AM

Make your own no bake protien bars. Basically its oats, whey, peanutbutter, and what ever else you want to add in. I make a pan of them on sunday and they last all week. You can find a few good recipes on the net, or just experiment on your own.
2011-02-22 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ditto the GNC Lean Shake recommendation - the chocolate is good with water, and the cookies & cream is great with skim milk.  This is a meal replacement shake.  I have one for breakfast along with a banana or something.  Syntha-6 is also really good.

After a workout, I'll have a protein supplement shake (not meal replacement) like Matrix-20 from GNC, or several others I've tried from Vitamin Shoppe.  On workout nights I'll have another one before bed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Meal replacement shakes Rss Feed