General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 56s
Overall Rank = 13453/15411
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up around 5am, unfortunately after only about two hours sleep; serious restless feet issues during the night leading to a lot of tossing and turning. Hit the sack around midnight, flopped around until 1:45, got up and watched Iowa drop a surprising loss to Arizona, then went back to bed about 3:00.

Figured I'd snooze on the train, but met Michelle at Langhorne - amazing she can be as convivial at 6am as she is in normal hours - and we chatted the whole way down. Train was packed with runners. Pretty funny to see a guy hopping on the train wearing nothing but shoes, shorts, a t-shirt and an iPod. That's what you call doing it old school, I guess.
Event warmup:

None, other than walking over from the train station. Figured the first 2-3 miles would be my warm-up.
Run
  • 2h 40m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Obviously some of the Garmin miles read wrong because all of the above add up to 2:34:08, leaving another 6-7 minutes...I was slow but I know it didn't take me seven minutes to run a tenth of a mile.

Plan was to run the first couple of miles in about 24 minutes (above shows I did that about 30 seconds faster), then try to maintain just slightly better than my planned 11:30 pace for the balance of the run, then kick it up a notch for the last 1-2 miles. I wasn't initially worried about being faster than that because I felt OK, but something happened in six or seven and the rest of the way was just brutal; trip back from Falls Bridge was the worst of it, seemed to stretch on forever, and I don't recall a lot of shade over there. About a mile from the finish I looked around and it seemed like everybody was walking except me. Wondering if maybe I was walking too and just felt like I was running.

So the plan didn't pan out and I ended up 10 minutes slower than what I'd hoped for, very disappointing. I figured 2:30 would be a slam dunk, a complete no-brainer. Guess I just wasn't adequately prepared, although I felt like I was.

Very discouraging mentally, and annoying as hell, that I'd think I'd run X miles and then .4 to .5 miles (and several minutes) later I'd pass a sign that recorded the official mileage. Don't know how the Garmin got that far off; never known that to happen, although I did lose the signal when we ran through the tunnel over by the Reading Terminal Market.

Tripped over the timing mat at the finish, lost my balance and thought I was going to bust my ass (and my face too). But managed to regain. Saw it on video; pretty comical and it was over pretty quick...felt like a long time when it happened.

Had a little gastro issue on the way back to the car afterwards, necessitating a "sit down" trip to one of the porta-potties which, of course, was fairly disgusting by that time. Couldn't help but voice the suspicion to TSW that, if I'd been able to drop that earlier, I might've at least picked up another five minutes.

I was out of it for most of the rest of the day...TSW said I was spacey.
What would you do differently?:

Probably more focused run training. Most of what I did was built around preparing for my sprint tris, and there were a couple of weeks when my runs were limited by that.

On race day, might also try to start out slower and, once warmed up, maintain my planned pace (went faster than that here). Don't know if it would've made a difference, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with TSW at finish and put my hands on my knees to get my breath back. Got a little bagel, a banana, my medal (pretty "bling"), and some liquids, then headed back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad execution of race plan, maybe? Insufficient training?

Event comments:

Pretty cool event. My only complaint is I'd like to see drink stations every mile or so. They had eight, if I recall correctly; 11 or 12 would've been better.

Last updated: 2010-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:40:56 | 13.1 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 13453/15411
Performance: Bad
Not sure if the data makes any sense; my Garmin read 13.6 miles, so got off track somewhere. But here's what it reflects for each mile: 1-11:42, 2-11:43, 3-11:05, 4-10:25, 5-11:29, 6-12:11, 7-12:00, 8-12:18, 9-12:10, 10-11:54, 11-12:18, 12-12:26, 13-12:27.
Course: Great course, running away from the Art Museum, through Center City and around City Hall, then back toward the museum and along the river to Falls Bridge, and along the river back to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-23 10:00 PM

Subject: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon

2010-09-28 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3115246

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Subject: RE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
Hey! Way to keep at it. You're right about no shade - it got pretty hot out there at times.

Oh yeah - My Garmin had a distance of about 13.48 miles at the Finish Line. A lot of your comments applied to my experience too with respect to the marked distances. My Garmin would notify me that I completed a mile and then .25 - .50 mile later the Mile Marker would show up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon Rss Feed