View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Syracuse, New York
United States
Total Time = 6h 08m 26s
Overall Rank = 987/
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 41/
Pre-race routine:

Since I didn't put much faith in my lack of training, I pretty much had no pre-race routine except for meeting SEVERAL BTers for dinner at the Spaghetti Warehouse. How cool to meet people in real life!
Event warmup:

The water was too damn cold for even ME to do a warm up, so I swung my arms around and jiggled my legs to "warm up". Saw marmadaddy and some other BTers on the beach.
Swim
  • 33m 49s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Dude, I KNOW I wasn't swimming well when I'm only 13th in my age group. I was in for a rough race when I lost the feet of most of the chicks on either side of me at the start.
What would you do differently?:

Read the course map to know where the buoys should be!
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Meh. I didn't realize they were going to have strippers so I had left my arms in my sleeves, but as soon as I saw an open stripper I quickly tried to get my arms out. Well, I wasn't so quick. They tried helping me get my arms out but I was getting stuck. I felt like it was slowing my time down, but it must've been quicker than trying to do it myself.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I really can't complain because I didn't train for this except for one long ride on the course in August right after IMLP and some time on the recumbent bike at physical therapy. I didn't bring enough fluid or enough to eat so that stressed me out a little. I prefer to refer to triathlon as swim, buffet, run you know!
Transition 2
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Stopped to use the bathroom, had a small line, got out and husband found me. Hung out for a few minutes thinking I'd run with him but the line wasn't moving so I told him I'd see him at the finish line. At that point I still thought they were having an Athena division and I wanted to see what time I could get to see where I would place among the Athenas.
Run
  • 2h 05m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I'd love to have a go at this run course with the same temperature after some decent training volume! It was all down hill so I think it's not necessarily a generous gift of the triathlon gods that gave me roughly a 9:30 average. If there had been a single mole hill then I would have been toast! I became one of those runners that makes it a goal to get to the next water station because then I'd give myself permission to walk. I wasn't sore on the run, but man was I TIRED! Like, I just wanted to lay down and sleeeep. Not the first race this has happened at.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried waiting for husband to finish. Hopped in line for the un-vegetarian-friendly post race meal.

Event comments:

Not exactly impressed. It's a one and done race for me. God, I couldn't imagine running down Erie Blvd in the blazing sun! The word on the street is that the race will be moved to July or August to avoid the chilly water temps. I'd take freezing my face off over melting in the sun any day. I thought it was really nice that they had a choice of hot dog, steak or chicken for finishers-that's something I've never seen before, but I don't eat meat so I had a few salt potatoes that weren't good and I had a cookie. They ran out of mac and cheese. No fruit. Just water and soda. Oh well.

Last updated: 2009-09-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:49 | 2112 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/
Overall: 286/
Performance:
Barf. Crappy swim time, but I wasn't in shape. I liked staying right on the buoys on the way out, but on the way back I kept losing them. Word on the street is that the course wasn't a rectangle like I had thought it would be...
Suit: full sleeved Xterra
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:20:39 | 56 miles | 16.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/
Overall: 1241/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: rolling hills low traffic
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:05:48 | 13.1 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/
Overall: 1028/
Performance:
Course: Lots and lots and lots of downhill. =)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-09-24 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

2010-09-25 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3117016

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-25 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3117016

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

Nice race as an encore to LP!! Way to go!!

I'm not I could do it if they moved it with everything else I want to do next year, but I know I can't if they leave it the same weekend!!

Congratulations on a great season Sara!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse Rss Feed