THE SHYANN KINDNESS PROJECT
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 49s
Overall Rank = 8/167
Age Group = 46 and up?
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am. Had all my stuff laid out. Had a banana, juice and a cup of coffee. Drove to the race- just 10 min away (sweet). Found a spot in the transition zone, and laid out my goodies on my orange towel. Then hit the rest room. Yes- success! so I felt good for the race. I didn't get a chip in my race packet, so I ran around searching for one- that had me a little frazzled, as I thought I wasn't going to get a chance to warm up in the pool. Got a chip.
Event warmup:

Fortunately, the race time was delayed 15min to 7am to wait for the traffic police to get to their stations, so I had some pool time. I was in the 1st heat of swimmers- so it was like being in the 'elite' corral. Everyone else stood around on deck while we 1st heat swimmers got to splash around and wait for the delayed start time.
Swim
  • 04m
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was fortunate to be in the 1st heat. It would have been pretty annoying to have to wait around for an hour and a half, just to start the race. So, while I was originally unhappy with it being such a short swim as we 'swimmers' didn't get any advantage- the lack of waiting around and cycling/running when it was 5 degrees cooler had ancillary benefits.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Ugh. Terrible T1. it took me forever to get my socks on. Usually the balega socks are so stretchy and smooth that they slip right over your feet. But these are getting old and were hard to side one. Then I forgot to tighten down one of my shoe buckles. Ran out of T1 to the mount area, and spend what seemed like 3 minutes clipping in. (actually, probably 10 seconds).
What would you do differently?:

I've gotta work out the whole sock, shoes in the pedals thing. Perhaps I need to go shopping for some tri cycling shoes. I could easily take 45s to 1min off this time.
Bike
  • 39m 29s
  • 13.04 miles
  • 19.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I think the same stinky diesel truck passed me 6 times, or it just seemed that way. Since I was in the 1st swim group, there were only 4 cyclists in front of me at the start, then 1 pro chick with a disk wheel blew by me near the beginning. So, only 5 in front of my the whole ride. 1 guy and 1 girl behind me claimed they were trying to catch me, but they never did. So, I was out there all alone. I did see a group of about 7 riders riding in a pack (drafting) at one point. I think I could have done just a little better on this ride.

oh heck, I don't know. ride just a little bit harder maybe? I didn't give it my all. Never got into a steady groove.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Blazed through T2 today. loosened shoes on bike. Ran to rack. Off with the cycling shoes, and slipped the running shoes right on. Helmet off, grabbed my race belt and was off. I took my cycling gloves off and moved the Garmin from my bike to my wrist while still on my bike, so no time lost there. Learned my lesson and set up my Garmin 405 properly this time, and just hit the lap button in and out of each transition. Worked like a charm, giving me my avg speed/pace per lap- which was my avg bike speed when on the bike, and avg running pace during the run. All cool.
Run
  • 20m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I went out a little too fast. Had to reel it in a bit, and by the start of mile 3 I felt like I had appendicitis. Relaxed for 1/4 mile then began to pick it up to the end. Not sure about the actual distance, but according to Garmin I did a 7:12 pace- which ties my best. Not bad for being sick all week.

start just a tad slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Handling my tremendous surprise at my 1st age group podium!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

T1. Being sick this week.

Event comments:

Kudos for Glenn and their 1st triathlon. Great job for a 1st. The pool situation, and how long it took to get all the swimmers through is a difficult one to overcome, and they'll get plenty of comments on the road situation- not having a enough room to ride to the right of the cones. The cycle was over 1/2 mi longer than the specified distance, and the run was 0.2mi shorter. The included breakfast and drinks were great. As for the 'silent auction'- I think they were trying to mix two different kinds of fundraising events, and the raffle should have included triathlon stuff rather than a TV and food baskets. The goodie bag had foodstuffs in it, nothing else. They did include a simple finishers medal for those interested, and a cotton t-shirt.

There were a ton of volunteers and it was reasonably well organized. Not perfect, but my expectations were of a simple, small charity event, and they really came up with much more. One item in the swag bag offended me. Not so much that it was a christian religious magazine, but that it was so politically charged (GoodNewsTucson magazine). This kind of propaganda has no place at a race and might be the sole reason never to do this race again.

Results: http://www.j-chipusa.com/results.php?p=0&eventid=3101

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:00 | 300 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/167
Performance: Good
Don't really know my swim time, as the actual time included a fairly long run to T1.
Suit: none
Course: Pool Swim. We lined up by projected time, with the fastest swimmers in the 1st heat. 12 laps x 25yd, swimming circles, 4 to a lane. Swimmers separated by 5 seconds. Probably 9 heats separated by 10 minutes or so. Took a long time to get everyone through the pool. The pool is pretty standard. Lane markers, but the walls and all the swimmers made it rough by race standards. Shallow end was VERY shallow. Large swimmers needed to be careful with their flip turns.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:29 | 13.04 miles | 19.82 mile/hr
Performance:
Avg HR 149. Wore my aero helmet. Probably looked kinda' funny with my body still like a sail in the wind on a regular road bike.
Wind: Little
Course: Course was advertised at 12.5mi, but it was really a bit over 13. Lots of cones set up, unfortunately the roads were narrow with poor edges. So, riding to the right of the cones was sometimes possible, but often dangerous. And- there were a surprising number of cars. So, it did require looking around and riding like you would on a normal training day on open roads. Each intersection had a policeman directing traffic- which was excellent. Except for the one that actually directed a car into my path and I had to slam on the brakes. Not the Race Director's fault though. Some rolling hills with some very short steeper sections.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:19 | 03.11 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Garmin said the distance was only 2.9 miles for a 7:12 pace. That makes more sense.
Course: This was not a 3.1mi run, it was more like 2.9. Flat. Three 'out and backs' along an asphalt road. Not particularly pretty or anything. two water stops on the course, making 6 in total. No sports drink, just water. I would have preferred one longer loop. 3x over the same road gets a little repetitive.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes