United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 55s
Overall Rank = 423/1118
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 41/79
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 430, 2/3 bottle applesauce and 2 scops whey, 1/2 powerbar prepped the race nutrition (2 hr bottle perpetium and a few gels in a flask cut with water). 3 sports legs and 1/2 cup coffee. Put on the tatoos and on to the race site. Got to transition about 610 and was set up quickly. National anthem went at 645 and it was awesome. What a treat to be in transition ready to go 15 min prior to gun and knowing I had over an hour to get in the correct mindset. Anthem nearly brought a tear, as usual. Got to the plastic boxes and was down near the start for the first few waves. 1 hr prior to start ate 1/2 powerbar and 3 more sports legs. spent time reading thr Bible and got my head straight....20 min prior to start took a powerbar gel w/caffine. Down at the start point ready to go 3 waves prior.
Event warmup:

At the start of the previous wave we jumped into the water and I took a good 150 warmup. Shoulders were loose and I had previously stretched a little. Worked to the start line but farther left than I should have and paid for it.....
Swim
  • 27m 27s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Like I said I was a little too far left and got beat up for the first 1/2 of the first leg.....Went out medium hard as planned and unfortunately everyone else did also. The guy to my right kept comming left and hitting me, what a pain. Had several to my left so i couldn't get out of his way. At about the 250 point I finally got to clear water and got into a rhythm. Made a good turn and immediately noticed the current. First sight was good second was already down river so I adjusted and prepped for the turn into the current and sun. Forgot to properly prep my goggles so as soon as I made the second turn i was blind. Couldnt see any sighting bouys. Twice I saw the bouy as I was passing it. Sighted off the pack and thankfully followed a straight line. Stoppped and flooded goggles to clear but unfortunately the began fogging up again. Made it to the last turn and was again sighting blind till I was almost at shore. Continually reminded myself to catch and pull and really had a good swim. Would raher have been faster but it was respectible!
What would you do differently?:

Prep the goggles, get to the correct starting position, keep working on tempo
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Swam till my hand hit ground then stumbled once to get my feet under me. As soon as I hit the carpets I got my cap and goggles off and started jogging quickly up to T1. It was a good hike up the hill on a paved path so I pushed the pace reasonably quickly. Passed 3 on the hill and stairs prior to entering the transition area. My spot was near the bike exit 3 rows left. Because nearly all the early waves were out I went straight thru their area and to the far fence prior to going up to my row and back to my bike. Cap and goggles down, glasses on helmet on bike off rack and back to the exit.

It was a very good T1 and I was pleased. run faster maybe
Bike
  • 1h 06m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Mounted about 15feet past line good clean stepover mount as plannedand realized I was in the wrong gear....not good. Got into my small ring up front and was able to get up to speed quickly. Took my time getting feet into shoes and velcro'ed in. Statted thinking of powerful circles and how easy the hills would be. as i was climbing I was thanking God for the ability to ride. Great day. Most of the climbs were easier than I thought they should be. The downhills were good but not crazy fast. At the second 180 I had 2 riders stacked up infront of me and had to lock up the rear to avoid contact. I was able to get away from them quickly after the turn but it cost me 5 sec +/-. At the first lap I was 22.2mph and really wanted to neg split. Ended up just under 22.2 overall. I was focused on taking nutrition as planned but couldnt get anything into me till 15 min point vice 10 as planned. ended up finishing nearly a full bottle of perpetium and took 3 enduralites at the 45 min point. Only water from 50 min on. Good bike

Prep into the correct gear. I thought I was there but it was not quite correct..... Don't get caught behind slower riders going into the 180s
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Good clean dismount and a good jog into T2. went the same route to the rack. 2 or 3 times had to pick up the bike to keep the shoes from upsetting it. hung the bike helmet off rt sock and shoe then lt sock and shoe. Picked up the belt, visor, flask, and towel and out to the exit again. Got the visor on then race belt in the run out shoot

can't think of a thing
Run
  • 47m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out at a good pace and was good till the 1 mi point and the first good uphill. Took a gel and tried to get 2 cups water at first water stop. Vol pulled the second cup away from me so I only got one. Passed a girl having asthma issues and called the police over to help her. tried to maintain a good planned pace but the hills and heat took it out of me. Kept thinking about mid-foot and turn over but had a hard time keeping anywhere near my pace maintained near 740 average. Had several in my age group pass me on the first half of the run but was able to pass almost as many in the last mile. Had a guy with orange shorts pass me at 2 mi and I was back on his heeles at the 5 mi point. For a minute I thought of marking him for a while and then passing him later but I changed my mind and decided to bury him right there. Went hard for the next 30 sec and never saw him again. At the bike path I went into my final gear for the finish stretch. Unfortunately as I entered the start of the finish shoot I was passed by another guy in my group. Gave everythning I had to catch him but ended up 2 sec short, I needed another 15 yards.....

Needed to maintain a pace that was reasonable vice the plan which I could not execute/maintain the entire way that day. Don't get caught in the shoot by someone marking me!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around downed 2 bottles of water and found some shade to sit and relax in. Went to the finish line to cheer Bill to the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Missed my weight goal by 3.5 lbs. "A" goal was aggressive and I still nearly got it. Hotter than I expected and the course was harder than expected but it was nationals!

Event comments:

Great race with great support Definately need to do it again

Last updated: 2010-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:27 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/79
Overall: 423/1118
Performance: Good
Suit: non-wetsuit
Course: mostly a rectangular out with the current rt turn cross then rt turn into the current rt turn to exit
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:29 | 24.85 miles | 22.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 55/79
Overall: 422/1118
pace for 5 mi laps 20.6, 23.5, 22.8, 20.9, 23.1
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap course with 3 180s per lap. Several good climbs
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:21 | 06.21 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/79
Overall: 423/1118
Performance: Below average
pace for .5 mi laps 7:07, :12, :59, :20, 8:30, 7:40, 8:15, 7:40, 7:40, 7:44, 7:48, 7:31, 6:43 (.16mi last lap)
Course: One lap hilly course around the neighborhood then down near the river bike trail
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes