United States
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 28s
Overall Rank = 151/976
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/104
Pre-race routine:

Pop-tarts. Off the Paleo diet, thought I'd treat myself. Actually seemed to work out well.
Event warmup:

Light jogging and some strides about 10 minutes prior to race start. Achilles feeling tight, but otherwise feeling really good.
Run
  • 24m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I think this is my best 5k time in over 2 years (need to check this, but I think it's true). Didn't think I had sub-8m/m in me.

Decided to go out hard and keep it up as long as possible, basically. First mile 8:05 (lots and LOTS of congestion which slowed this mile down considerably, I think... which might have been good... not sure...). Second mile (wind at back) in 7:40. Last 1.1 miles in 8:41 (into the wind).

Last half mile or so, felt like I was going to puke -- that's when I knew I was pushing hard enough.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. Been run training consistently for a month and it's really paid off. Ran a 5k a month ago in 27:09... took over 2.5 minutes off that time, with about the same effort.

I gave this race my all, and was pretty pleased with the results. 6/86 AG placing isn't too shabby for someone just getting back into this whole running thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around.

Event comments:

It's a little more expensive ($35 on race day), but great goody bag (say YAY for using reusable grocery bags for the race swag!!) with cool stuff in it. Long-sleeve tech shirt, which is nice. And pizza and donuts afterwards.

This is a bigger local race -- draws well over 1000 runners -- so you're not going to win anything unless you're really fast, but it's a fun race (and pretty much in my backyard, which helps).

Last updated: 2010-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:28 | 03.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/104
Overall: 104/976
Performance: Good
Wore my HR strap, but forgot my Garmin. Ooops.
Course: Flat, fast. Out around the high school and then south following the river. Back north following the river as well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes