General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to transport tri gear to race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-26 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: How to transport tri gear to race?
My first tri is next weekend (can't wait!) and I'm wondering what the best way to get all my gear to the race is.  Do people just put all their stuff (including their wetsuit) in a duffle bag?  Or is there another way?  I don't want to be the noob out there not knowing what the chic way to haul gear is.  Thanks!

2010-09-26 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3118128

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: How to transport tri gear to race?
Welcome to BT and good luck on your tri!

Whatever your stuff fits in is fine. Some people find a large backpack or mesh bag works for them.

For convenience, some people like what's called a transition bag: specifically designed for tri, to fit wetsuit, shoes, helmet, etc. A relatively inexpensive, roomy, durable model is the one made by TYR.
2010-09-26 2:04 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

I just put all my stuff in a duffle bag.  I keep my wet suit in it's bag but it fits in the duffel bag. 

2010-09-26 2:20 PM

Veteran
I prefer a backpack so I can ride my bike if parking is far from transition.
-k
2010-09-26 2:26 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
If you want to look like a noob, wear your wetsuit, goggles, and swim cap, along with your running shoes and bike helmet.  Clip the bike shoes to the bike, strap the race number to your waist, and ride the bike (putting your shoes on top of the clipped in bike shoes) from the car to the body marking area.  Then you will be sure to have all the gear you need.

Oh wait, you wanted to do that opposite thing of looking foolish.  Then, yeah, just put your stuff into whatever works for you.
2010-09-26 2:43 PM

User image

Regular
Oh, you all are GREAT!  And funny!  Thanks!  A duffle bag seems perfect. I don't have a bag for my wetsuit (it came in a box, and I never bought an official bag) but that's ok.  Advice much appreciated!

2010-09-26 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whatever bag you go with -- pack it the night before! I showed up for a trail running race earlier this year in my flip flops, and after I checked in, I went back to my car to get dressed and realized my shoes were still on the porch at home.
2010-09-26 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
The TYR bag is a winner. Used mine today for my first race, and it held everything, and had tons of room. They're always on sale from the sponsor sites, and watch for discount coupons, too.
2010-09-26 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal

sugarmagnolia70 - 2010-09-26 2:47 PM My first tri is next weekend (can't wait!) and I'm wondering what the best way to get all my gear to the race is.  Do people just put all their stuff (including their wetsuit) in a duffle bag?  Or is there another way?  I don't want to be the noob out there not knowing what the chic way to haul gear is.  Thanks!

Put everything in a 5 gallon bucket. That way you can flip it over and sit on it to put your shoes on before going out on the run.

2010-09-26 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
I generally carry my gear in one of those string bags.  

I keep an empty laundry baset in my trunk, so after the race I can put my wet/muddy gear in that to carry it out of transition instead of trying to stuff things back into a bag.

Have fun at your Tri.
2010-09-26 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
oooh, I like the empty laundry basket and 5 gallon bucket idea.  Would it look lame (and would there be enough room in my area...having never seen a tri I don't know how big my area is) to bring a small laundry basket with me and I can turn that over to sit on it to get my wetsuit off and put on my shoes...and then use it after to haul my wetsuit, etc?

The tri bags look great... maybe next year, I've already invested so much money in these triathlons and I haven't even done my first one yet!!!  lol

2010-09-26 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern New Hampshire
Well, my bike doesn't fit in a duffel bag so I use a Thule roof rack on my car to transport it to the race

I just a use a duffel bag, but I do like the 5-gallon bucket idea!

Edited by L1011 2010-09-26 9:30 PM
2010-09-26 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3118700

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
sugarmagnolia70 - 2010-09-26 9:16 PM oooh, I like the empty laundry basket and 5 gallon bucket idea.  Would it look lame (and would there be enough room in my area...having never seen a tri I don't know how big my area is) to bring a small laundry basket with me and I can turn that over to sit on it to get my wetsuit off and put on my shoes...and then use it after to haul my wetsuit, etc?

The tri bags look great... maybe next year, I've already invested so much money in these triathlons and I haven't even done my first one yet!!!  lol

Please no 5-gallon buckets, laundry baskets or anything like that in transition - there's not enough room in most transition areas for large things like that, and it's discourteous to your nearby transition-mates when you show up with space-hogging items like that. 

There is no good reason at all for things like buckets & baskets in the transition area - the key to successful transition area planning & fast transitions is keep it simple.  A backpack or transition bag for your gear can easily & safely be stowed out of the way, but buckets & baskets are an inconvenience to those around you and a hazard as an obstacle.

Thanks, Chris
2010-09-26 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3118754

User image

Regular
Hydro - 2010-09-26 8:04 PM
sugarmagnolia70 - 2010-09-26 9:16 PM oooh, I like the empty laundry basket and 5 gallon bucket idea.  Would it look lame (and would there be enough room in my area...having never seen a tri I don't know how big my area is) to bring a small laundry basket with me and I can turn that over to sit on it to get my wetsuit off and put on my shoes...and then use it after to haul my wetsuit, etc?

Please no 5-gallon buckets, laundry baskets or anything like that in transition - there's not enough room in most transition areas for large things like that, and it's discourteous to your nearby transition-mates when you show up with space-hogging items like that. 

There is no good reason at all for things like buckets & baskets in the transition area - the key to successful transition area planning & fast transitions is keep it simple.  A backpack or transition bag for your gear can easily & safely be stowed out of the way, but buckets & baskets are an inconvenience to those around you and a hazard as an obstacle.

Thanks, Chris

Thanks for the advice!   I definitely won't bring those items.
2010-09-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3118790

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis

Thanks for the advice!   I definitely won't bring those items.

I came off a little blunt in my post - sorry about that - it was late

I applaud you for seeking advice on this issue - it'll serve you well to have a simple, clear, and well thought-out plan for your transition setup.

Transition bags are nice for gear because they are made to haul tri stuff, but a simple backpack or duffel bag works just as well for most folks.

I lay out a face towel (bath towel isn't necessary, but those can be folded to a smaller size) under my bike slightly to one side - that way, my transition space is "marked" with my bike as one side, and the towel edge as the other.  For reference, drape your wetsuit over the rack bar next to your bike - that's all the side-to-side space you should be taking up, and that's really all you need.

I put my transition bag under my bike so it's out of the way. If it's rainy or wet, I hang it on the rack next to my bike, and drape my wetsuit over it.

Rules permitting, I leave my bike shoes on my pedals.  I put my helmet on the bars of my bike, and lay my sunglasses in the helmet.  If I don;t wear my race belt (w/ number attached) during the swim, I put that in my helmet too.

On my towel, I set out my running shoes & visor.  If you use socks or need fuel in transition, put those in your running shoes.

That's all you really need "sitting out" in your transition spot.

You don't need a bucket to sit on, or any loose water to wash off your feet.  If you are concerned about sand on your feet (that's never been an issue for me, and I race all sockless), then just keep a washcloth on your towel to do a quick wipe-off with.

Buckets and baskets take up way too much space, and inevitably end up getting knocked around & displaced during the transition melee - outside of being something that takes up too much space in transition to start with, that's the major inconvenience of them with respect to those around you.

Thanks and have a great race!

Cheers, Chris
2010-09-27 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks Chris, and I appreciate your detail. I can really "see" now in my mind how to set up.  Thanks!!!!  And I promise,  I won't take up more than my share of space. 

2010-09-27 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3119321

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Nice!

My harping about the "space" is two-fold: Sure, taking up only the space you really need is the most courteous thing you can do as a racer.  All well and good...

But the biggest benefit to taking less space is that it helps you keep things very simple. 

Less is definitely more when it comes to transition setup - when your brain is all mush as you are dashing into transition, you want your essentials to be right there waiting & easy to quickly grab - not buried in a pile of "well, maybe I'll perhaps need this" junk.

Have fun!
2010-09-27 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3119360

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Hydro - 2010-09-27 11:39 AM Nice!

My harping about the "space" is two-fold: Sure, taking up only the space you really need is the most courteous thing you can do as a racer.  All well and good...

Unfortunately I have a bad back and need something to sit on to put my shoes on.  I've practiced transitions without it and always cramp up.  I use a small bucket and take up less room than most people who spread out their towels and place everything on them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to transport tri gear to race? Rss Feed