Flagstaff Nordic Center
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 4s
Overall Rank = 6/78
Age Group = Men (All)
Age Group Rank = 5/31
Pre-race routine:

Headed up to Flagstaff with a friend from town. No pre-race plan, no idea what the course would be, no trail running shoes, and no hotel reservation.
Event warmup:

Showed up a little over an hour early, almost nobody there yet. Breakfast didn't agree well with my stomach. Lack of pre-race planning meant I picked up some banannas and muffins and a powerade for the morning of. Stomach did settle down by race morning though. Was really chilly early in the A.M. did a quick light jog and some dynamics before the start of the race. Weather was nice and warm by the start.
Run
  • 49m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out at the finish for a bit, drank water, ate a banana and drank half of a Muscle Milk before deciding it was horrible and throwing the rest away. Stretched out some then did a light jog before heading back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course profile, also should have made my way closer to the front of the bunch for the start, could have used some hillwork and a bit of trail running experience too, but overall this wasn't an important race and I'm thrilled with the result.

Event comments:

Overall a great small race. Plan to do it again next year. Maybe the half?

Last updated: 2010-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:04 | 06.21 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 6/78
Performance: Good
Lap data based on GPS, which calculated entire distance at 6.04 Miles probably due to the windyness of the trails. No chip timing for this event. 1: 8:28 Start was crowded, 500+ runners and the trail was essentially a two track. All three events were part of one mass start and I was bunched up in the pack for almost the whole first mile. 2. 8:44 First two miles were almost entirely uphill. Focused on keeping my pace measured and my breathing under control. 3. 7:50 Course flattened out a bit but still had some rollers 4. 8:55 One ugly motherF***** of a hill at the start of this mile. 5. 7:46 Course is net downhill to the end 6. 7:05 Started to kick it out trying to keep footing on the downhill was fun 7. 13.69 (5:25/mi) Only had enough left to sprint full out the last 30 yards or so.
Course: Very hilly trail run, lots of big rocks, little rocks, tree branches, loose gravel, grass and several sections that wouldn't have been on a noticeable trail had they not been marked by flags and chalk. Between the rough terrain, the altitude and the hills this was easily the most challenging 10K I've done to date, but the course was beautiful and a blast to run. I loved every minute of the suffering. Props to anyone who survived the full mary.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes