United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 39s
Overall Rank = 1248/4700
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 145/423
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:15, had a bagel and coffee on the drive to the race. I actually got there earlier than expected and had alot of time to take in the feel of the race.
Event warmup:

Walked around quite a bit and met a lot of people. I didn't run/jog at all, just some dynamic stretching.
Run
  • 53m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

An awesome race that everyone ought to do at least once. With some 5000+ participants, and a lot of local support, no matter what your style of racing its a good time. The hills are difficult, especially the first at the begining after a long quick down hill. I had heard about the hills before the race but didn't go over the coarse for fear it my be discouraging and a good thing I didn't!! The race starts fast with a good downhill run for about a mile only to come to a screaching hault with a nast half to three quarter mile hill. The rest of the coarse is hilly but manageable. The spectators make up for the difficulty of the coarse and were amazingly supportive with bells, water and music.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was relatively happy with the outcome and really gave it my all. It was hotter than I expected it to be for a race this late in the year especially given the last few weeks of relatively cold morning runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the park, took in some of the refreshments, then made my way back to my car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I haven't done enough hill training, although I thought the coarses I made around the house were hilly, they do not compare to this race. Also it seems I need to train downhill running as well to keep myself from slapping the pavement so hard!!

Event comments:

A difficult race. Very rewarding, well organized, good spirits all around from the participants to the spectators. Looking forward to another run next year.

Last updated: 2010-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:39 | 06.21 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 145/423
Overall: 1284/4700
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly small rolling hills with one killer hill at 1.7-2.2 mile range.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes