General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Houston Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Houston Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Towne Lake Community, Texas
United States
Total Time = 2h 21m 51s
Overall Rank = 14/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/58
Pre-race routine:

Banana, peanut butter sandwich and washed it down with a bottle of gatorade.
Event warmup:

None, ended up talking to people and ran out of time to hop in and swim.
Swim
  • 24m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

First Olympic distance race for me, wasn't worried about the swimming distance just curiouse about the course.

This swim sucked for me. It was a neat idea with the two loops but it was not good for a fast swim time. I was constantly swimming up on people, I had to stop multiple times and just tread water and look for a way around the clumps of people. The exit was just a mad house. On both exits I found myself just floating waiting for my turn to get out, I lost quite a bit of time but something to think about is, everyone was in the same boat.

I would like to see next year have a seperate loop on the inside maybe. Just some way where you do not have to swim through the remaining groups. For example I had to swim through all of the groups before me and then on the second loop swim through everyone that started after. In most of these open water races, the clumps of people start to thin out and its not as difficult to navigate through.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear my race bib on the swim and zip up the front of the jersey. I read in the digital guide that we had to wear our number on the bike, so I figured I would save some time and have it underneath my tri top for the swim. This back fired pretty bad when I dove in for the second loop and the belt ended up coming down around my legs!
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

1/3 mile run from swim to transition. This ended up not being so bad. The bike mount line was a little narrow, I had to slow down and zig zag around some people before I jumped on the bike.

Kept shoes in pedals and just jumped on the bike while it was rolling, this worked out again. I rode with my feet on the shoes until I got out to Barker because there were some turns and I wanted to be safe.

2/58 only 4 sec back from 1st.

Run faster from swim to transition.
Bike
  • 1h 07m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Was right about where I wanted to be. Had a nice wind on the whole course, parts where cross, some was head and then some was tail. Tail wind was awesome!

Almost got hit by a car on the turn from Fry to Longenbaugh the second time. Cop at the intersection was letting people through and must not have thought I was coming as fast. So as I was turning a car was going through the intersection and I almost T-boned the side of it. I slammed on the brakes, fish tailed, pulled my groin getting my foot out to stop and ended up having to go to the next turn around to come back. It was a pretty stressful moment haha! I think I should have just been a little more observant and made a decision to slow down when I saw the cop letting people through. I was just in race mode and under the impression that the cops weren't going allow people through that close.

I think I could have pushed a little harder on the bike, my legs weren't really burning by the end. I still have not tested out my theory on just hammering the bike yet. Next season I will give it a shot.

Possibly push the pace more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I was pretty slow on this transition, still sort of shaken up from the near crash, a little pissed off and worried about the pain in my groin.

move faster
Run
  • 46m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I HAVE to do something differently to train for the run. I am just sucking it up hardcore on all of the runs this year. I didn't get hot this time like I have been doing, I was dumping water on me at the aid stations.

I liked the run, it was a nice change of scenery and had a fun element with the Berry Center ramps.

It comes down to just either not having endurance or speed, I can't figure it out. I started off at 7 min/mile for the first two and I would have been happy with that for the remaining miles but I ended up sliding down to 7:26/7:26/7:52/7:45, I just fell apart. There were a couple of guys that passed me that if I had the endurance or speed I could have easily jumped on them and chased.

I basically averaged out to what I have been doing my easy runs at, maybe I should start increasing my "slow, easy" run pace and that will just naturally carry over to these races. That was my first Oly race and last race of the season, so I have the off season now to look back and come up with some new ideas to improve on.
Post race
Warm down:

stretching and drinking water/gatorade

Event comments:

I did not like the swim course and hated starting so far back in the waves. I'm guessing the reasoning for the waves is the amount of people in each wave and maybe the average expected race time for that group but it really caused problems for me with all of the passing I had to do on the swim and bike.

I would like to try getting into an invitational wave for a race to see how that goes with being able to leave first.

Overall, this was a good race for my first Olympic distance race. My goal was to be under 2h 15min but there were a lot of factors that I had not considered. My goal time for the swim was 20 min but looking at the results, no one swam 20 min so maybe a long course or just a lot of traffic? My goal on the bike was 1h5min, I was very close to this and considering the near crash. My run? Well thats just a work in progress, no comment!

Last updated: 2010-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/58
Overall: 16/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:00.2 | 24.85 miles | 22.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/58
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 loops on Fry and Longenbaugh
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:46:11 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/58
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: A loop through Towne Lake and a portion through the Berry Center.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 10:04 AM

Subject: Memorial Hermann Houston Triathlon

2010-09-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3119246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Houston Triathlon
20 minutes is a heck of a time even in a pool. Are you a college swimmer? If you're thing is swimming I could see that but 20 min would make you one of the best open water 1500 meter swimmers out there. Not accomplishing that goal may or may not have had to do with the course, that's just plain blazing fast for a non pro.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Houston Triathlon Rss Feed