Rotary Club of Glenview Sunrise
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 50s
Overall Rank = 64/101
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up (unless I was sleepwalking). Had a banana and some toast with peanut butter.
Event warmup:

Got there early and it was cold. I stretched a little. Hit the bathrooms (real bathrooms, well, elementary school bathrooms) a few times. I was tight, probably because I did not want to run. Watched the beginning of the 1 mile race. I wish my kids liked to run. I love seeing the parents running alongside their kids. It was great.
Run
  • 57m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

First, I thought I had signed up for the 5k and there were points during this race that I had wished I did. But, I did okay. I am not fast or in shape so running this far for me isn't too bad. I kept a steady pace, got passed by many but who cares. I did not stop once. I slowed down and when I looked at my Garmin, I usually picked up the pace. I am still unsure of my running style. I just go with the flow! My legs definitely felt tight and heavy but after the first 5k I was okay. Tired but okay!
What would you do differently?:

Train for this distance. I guess if I want to do Olympics I probably should. Maybe come in at a good fighting weight!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around, stretched, grabbed some water. Really not much to do. This was a small event. They had a Gatorade thing full of water, some bread with jelly and that was it. But it was okay. I stopped at 7-11 for some refreshements that weren't good for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ability to perform faster is basically what limited me. So what. I did it. It was fast enough!

Event comments:

This was a small race but it was 10 minutes from my house and it didn't start at an ungodly hour. Yes it would have been nice to go faster but my goal was to finish under 1 hour and I did. People were friendly on the course, two guys even apologized for running side by side and blocking my way. I am proud of myself for getting up and running today. I ran this race for my wife, who 13 years earlier had agreed to go on a blind date with me. Sometimes I do win!!!!

Last updated: 2010-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:50 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 64/101
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops along Glenview neighborhoods. Even had some slight inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: 13th Annual Chase the Bear

2010-09-28 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3119340

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 13th Annual Chase the Bear
Great race! Congratulations on beating your goal easily. It's always nice to do a race so close to home.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 13th Annual Chase the Bear Rss Feed