United States
USA Triathlon/Perigrine Charities
61F / 16C
Total Time = 2h 26m 48s
Overall Rank = 26/
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Plan for this race was hatched way back in early February while working the multisport expo with Scoobysdad. Race director Amber had the booth next to us and ended up invited us down to work their expo and do the race.

Scoobs (from here on out will be referred to as EZ Whip) picked me up on saturday morning to start the voyage to the land of corn. off we go and of course the diva EZ Whip has to stop at starbucks like right away, great i can see how this is going to go.......but he remedied that situation by buying me some good java (and an apple fritter) as well, so everything is good. trip was rather uneventful and dull, just like most of the stories he was yappin on about along the way........until we got into iowa itself and came up on towns such as epworth (claim to fame is that i guess, according to EZWhip, that the 2 of the last 153 Olympians in the sport of curling for the united states have come from there.....) and Earlville, which i guess used to be Earlsville, but the two Earls didnt get along and the one Earl kicked the other out and told him to take his "s" with him.....) and walter's residence, which im sure had some long explanation but seriously, i was just trying to not pay attention to EZ Whip and concentrate on seeing all the corn............well we finally made it to the venue for the expo and were promplty impressed with everything, well that was until i had to do all the set up since EZ Whip went over and got another coffee from the booth next to us and ended up in their hot tub somehow........geez..........oh and all this after he caused quite the commotion in dubuque at a Mcdonalds when he asked for two hamburgers and got two cheeseless cheeseburgers instead...........frickin diva, i tell ya. so i get done setting up and then go rack my bike and all of sudden its time to go so i have to tear everything down while he gets his neck scanned by the chiropractors...... whatever. so we end up at taste of verona for dinner and im sitting there trying to watch some football and good old EZ Whip is sitting there flapping his gums about who knows what and is inviting everyone and their mother to sit with us! man...........so we finally make it to the comfort inn and suites after a quick stop at the kum -n- go (um, no im not making that up! and for some reason EZWhip came out with a big smile and smoking a cigarette........?????? so bedtime comes and morning arrives and get ready to go and yahoo EZWhip apparantly cant read direction and screwed up putting on his tritats so i have to use my artistic awesomeness and color everything in for him with a sharpie....boy what fun to start the day!!! hope the rest of the day wont be like that as off to the venue we go!
Event warmup:

well apparently rich has the dumbest smart phone ever as the dumb machine never did get us back to the venue from the hotel, but we did get a good tour of a lot of alleys of cedar falls!

didnt get a swim or bike warm up in but did get a good run in.
Swim
  • 31m 22s
  • 1761 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

funny thing was that i thought i was having a great swim, ended up not so great as i was a LOT closer to the bottom of all the swimmers than the top!! but hey, SOMEONE has to be the slowest swimmer, right?
What would you do differently?:

rent a motorboat!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

ugh, seriously i thought this split would be a lot lot worser! i mean, c'mon, cold water temps, fogged up goggles, cold air temps let me to NOT be able to buckle my helmet at all, glass were all fogged up so ditched those as well, started putting on socks then changed my mind......just ugh, so yeah i was surprised by the time!

hire DeannaS to do my transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 14s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.60 mile/hr
Comments:

not a back course. some cracks in the road made for a bumpy ride at times....one stretch was right into the wind, and then there were those pesky little rumble strips......but hey, i didnt get a penalty for being overtaken like EZ Whip did!!!

hire birkierunner to do the bike portion for me
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

yahoo next to me racked his bike just over far enough that i couldnt rack on my hoods like i normaly do.......two attempts and then just racked by the seat. also took feet out of shoes too soon on the bike.

hire jmwebs to do my T2, he isnt doing anything anyway so this will keep him busy for about 10 minutes
Run
  • 39m 57s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

off the bike i go and ran with visor and race belt, got those on and then noticed that it still felt like i had my bike shoes on.....which i didnt, but it did feel like that! hips were tight as well but after about a half mile or so everything felt comfy and then i pushed the pace.

have Tall tridad run for me, he's been killin his runs lately!!

other than that tho, nothing as this ended up being a 5:16 PR for an oly for me!
Post race
Warm down:

ate a not quite ripe banana, drank some terrible gatorade then went back on the course to see if EZ Whip was following the advice of his dumb phone and was maybe lost, but, alas i saw him and ran with him almost back to the finish. then, ate a dry sandwich and two awesome donuts and drank a mountain dew. loaded up the gear and then we started for home, at which point EZ Whip realized he didnt know how to get home since he only printed out direction to get to the race. in his panic i told him we could just follow the direction to the race but start from the botton and work backwards.............he didnt believe it would work but did agree to try, because, you know, he is one heck of a good guy (at least thats what he told me like about 50 times over the weekend!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of a longer stride due to being more aerodynamic and lower to the ground than most.

Event comments:

ok from the beginning. HIGHLY organized pre raceday activities (expo, packet pick up, registration). pretty nice set up for it all as well.

race day - again excellent organization and information readily available.

race itself - course was marked on the swim the entire way with the bouy line going thru noodles, easy to keep track of. bike was marked every 5K and run was every mile.

volunteers - i think the total number of athletes was around 350is. it was announced that there were 252 volunteers AT THE RACE ITSELF. i believe it

awards - cash prizes for top three elite and top age groupers. finisher medals for all and raffles going on as well (i won a hat)

schwag - BEST shwag bag i have gotten at a race other than donkey man yet!

keep an eye on this race, i bet within five years it will explode and become a major event.

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:22 | 1761 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: quintana roo, full sleeve
Course: straight shot out and back with the bouys on your left. oh and right into the sun!!!!!!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:14 | 24.8 miles | 20.60 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: out of the park then straight shot for a bit, turn around and come back but then turn and go over a bridge and another loop.......
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:57 | 06.2 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Course: your basic out and back along a parkway and bike path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 1:06 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: Perigrine Charities Triathlon

2010-09-27 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3119780

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Perigrine Charities Triathlon
I knew I should have just pushed you out of the truck at Earlville. Then Earl could have smacked you around, thrown out of his town, and you could go found Daveyburg.

Nice race, chump.

Oh, and PS-- you snore.
2010-09-27 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
London, UK

^^^ You snore? You Donks are getting too cozy with each other for my liking

Great racing Davey. Even if I hate you a little bit for going sub 2:30 with apparent ease.

2010-09-28 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
congrats on the race and the free hat!
2010-09-28 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
I can't believe you guys didn't spoon.
2010-09-28 4:42 PM

User image

Elite

Very entertaining.  Wish I could have made it down.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Perigrine Charities Triathlon Rss Feed