United States
Premier Event Management
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 36m 36s
Overall Rank = 1218/3121
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 53/87
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15. Ate about 1,100 calories. No coffee - I had caffeinated tea right before I went to bed. Packed up all my stuff and checked out of the hotel. Got to transition, set everything up. Went to the toilet. Took the tram to swim start.
Event warmup:

None. Talked with another first-timer to ease nerves.
Swim
  • 29m 11s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the back of the wave. Took a while to get going because of that. Also, goggles came off my head about 400m into the race. Had to stop and tread water to tighten them and put them back on.
What would you do differently?:

Get up in the front. The swim is my strong point - I should not be afraid of the start line. Tighten goggles adequately before the race.
Transition 1
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers helped me get it off my heels. Had to change into my bike jersey. Took extra time to make sure I didnt forget anything - about 30 sec double checking total. No sunglasses - I knew they'd fog up in the rain.

Wear a tri top. Never bought one after mine was cut off of me by the medics after my wreck during the summer.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out strong and fast on the bike. Still felt VERY fresh after 20,30, and 40 miles. Started feeling fatigue at 45 miles, but was able to slow down and regain composure. Started having GI issues at around 45mi (took in about 600 calories in 20 min - I had forgotten to eat at the right times), but the slow in pace helped the problems pass. Cornering was slow because of the rain and wet roads, but I was happy to go slower to avoid a spill.

Go harder! I was a little uneasy until about mile 20. I need to be confident about my speed and trust my GPS.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Had to swap out the socks to have dry socks on the run (very important for me). Also made sure to get the gravel and moisture off my feet to avoid problems on the run. Had to strip the bike jersey and throw on a tanktop for the run.

Again, tri top. I did the best I could about the rain and dry socks/running shoes.
Run
  • 2h 08m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Struggled to get my feet 'under me' and keep my 9min pace for the first 3mi. Stopped at the Shell station around 3mi to use the restroom. Ran according to plan/pace until about mile 6, where I hit the wall. Got past the wall around mile 7 - after that I ran the next 4 miles at a sub-8 pace! I then ran out of fuel and was cramping (hamstrings and butt) on both sides. I kept about a 10-11min pace for the last 2 miles or so, stopping to drink and stretch at aid stations.

Nothing. This was my first half marathon run. I was shooting to go (optimally) right at 2 hours. Factoring in my bike performance (19.8mph avg), I'm perfectly happy being 9 min slower than my 'optimal' goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down through the chute & kissed my girlfriend. Was a bit unsteady on my feet but I kept walking. Got food (pizza and a Cliff bar) and walked around for the next 30 min or so talking to people and looking for my buddies. Walked 2 mi to the car afterward.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. This was my first HIM.

Event comments:

The timing chips they had were CRAP. They literally CUT my leg on the run. I've seen much nicer chips (neoprene against the skin) at races with a $50 entry fee, so I don't know why not here.

Otherwise, it was an EXCELLENT race and an AMAZING experience.

I had expected, based on my training, to do in between 6hrs (for a 'perfect' race) and 6.5 hrs (realistically). I ended up going 5:36 for my first HIM!!!

I'm well on my way to do my first IM w/ a sub-12 hour time!!!!!

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:11 | 2143 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 39/87
Overall: 1090/3121
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight swim downriver.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:49:41 | 56 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/87
Overall: 0/3121
Wind: Little
Course: Raining the WHOLE time. Rain got heavy around mile 30-35 for a few minutes, but it was never a real problem.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:08:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/87
Overall: 1218/3121
Course: Road race around downtown Augusta.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes